Letters: Opposed to SFO runway ticket surcharge

  • 3/30 SMCo. Times
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 10:36 AM
      Published Friday, March 30, 2001, in the San Mateo County Times

      Letters to the Editor

      Getting grabby too soon

      I'm disgusted to see that San Francisco International Airport is
      about to add a $4.50 surcharge to every ticket through SFO to
      subsidize a project that will destroy our Bay.

      San Francisco Airport is years away from a decision on whether
      runways into San Francisco Bay will solve delay problems, and it's
      already starting a multibillion-dollar tax grab to fund its
      shortsighted, environmentally destructive project.

      Airport bureaucrats have decided to charge travelers for its plan to
      pollute the Bay. SFO should find some other way to relieve delays
      without polluting the Bay and passing the cost on to its customers.

      Please help spread the word before it is too late.

      Dean Halpern
      San Francisco

      Published Friday, March 30, 2001, in the San Mateo County Times

      Letters to the Editor

      Real solutions ignored

      San Francisco Airport wants to tax travelers to build runways they
      admit will be inadequate just about the time construction is
      finished. What about all the additional Peninsula infrastructure that
      will be needed to support the new, bigger SFO? Will we travelers,
      Peninsula residents or both be taxed to make these infrastructure
      improvements?

      SFO's own hydrology study admits that these new airstrips will cause
      thousands of acres of San Francisco Bay to silt. South Bay treated
      sewage will be trapped behind SFO's runway-cum-dikes. Can't you
      imagine the new odor of jet exhaust and fetid water wafting across
      the Peninsula?

      Have SFO's managers entertained a regional airport authority that
      would allow SFO, San Jose and Oakland airports to work together? Have
      they considered building a real airport for the 21st century on dry
      land in north central California? One with room for highway access,
      feeder flights and high speed rail to Sacramento, San Francisco, the
      East Bay and the South Bay? Hardly. There's no money in that for the
      city of San Francisco insiders.

      Joseph Pennese
      Burlingame

      [E-mail letters to smctlet@.... -BATN]