11General Info about the BARPCV_Community ListServe (periodic posting)

  • Kendra Gray
    Feb 15, 2008

      EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE BARPCV_COMMUNITY LIST SERVE
      (...but couldn't figure out who to ask.)

      CONTENTS:
      1) What is this listserve?
      2) What is BARPCV?
      3) Official BARPCV Events
      5)  Other resources

      ------------------------------------
      1) WHAT IS THIS LIST SERVE?

      The purpose of the BARPCV_Community ListServe is to give members (you) the opportunity to contact other BARPCV members quickly and easily.  While BARPCV is always happy to advertise your apartment listings, job openings, and social events, we realize that we are not always as fast as you might need us to be – especially if something is happening in the next couple of days.  We have therefore created a listserve so that you can contact others quickly and easily.

      Items that might come across the listserve (indeed, items you might post out) include:

      - information about international events and conferences
      - invitations to events you are hosting
      - invitations to attend community events
      - news about Peace Corps
      - apartment and housing information
      - job openings you know about

      ------------------------------------
      2) WHAT IS BARPCV?

      The Boston Area Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (BARPCV) is a non-profit organization established in 1978. We are about 400 members concentrated in Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire . Our annual budget is funded by membership dues and fund raising efforts. We have a Board of Directors and four person executive committee. In addition to connecting with and supporting returned and prospective volunteers, the BARPCV seeks to carry out the third goal of the Peace Corps, as stated in the 1961 Peace Corps Act: "To promote a better understanding of other people on the part of American people."

      Mission:  BARPCV's mission is to support our communities by sharing our skills and knowledge gained through Peace Corps, life, and professional experiences.

      BARPCV has 4 guiding goals-

      1. Supporting returned Peace Corps Volunteers
      2. Assisting prospective and new Peace Corps Volunteers
      3. Bringing the World Back Home (the Peace Corps Third Goal "To promote a better understanding of other people on the part of the American people")
      4. Collaborating with Like Minded Organizations

      ------------------------------------
      3)  OFFICIAL BARPCV EVENTS

      We have a variety of official BARPCV events including semi-annual Welcome Back/ Send Off parties, a September New Member’s Party, monthly TGIF events at local bars, an October Annual Meeting and many other events.  For more information, see our website at www.barpcv.org.

      ------------------------------------
      4) OTHER RESOURCES

      We have a variety of resources to help members stay informed about our activities.

      Website:  www.barpcv.org

      Bi-monthly electronic bulletin:  BARPCV members who wish to receive the Bulletin via e-mail or report a change of address should contact: David Sears at members@...

      Facebook:  BARPCV ( Boston Area Returned Peace Corps Volunteers)

      THANKS!

      We're glad you're a part of our community! If you have any thoughts or comments about BARPCV or about this email, please contact me at:  Kendrainfo@...

      Thanks!

      Kendra Gray