GLOBAL BALITA: Buy from smugglers, export produce?

  • Perry Diaz
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2013
      Welcome to Global Balita

      Global Balita

      Global Filipinos in perspective --

                        "From Manila Bay to San Francisco Bay"

      FEATURED

      Buy from smugglers, export produce?

      ON DISTANT SHORE
      By Val G. Abelgas

      (Photo Credit: AP)

      While we want to praise President Aquino and Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala for the increased production in rice the past year that, they said, would eventually lead to the Philippines becoming a rice exporter by 2014, we could not help but be alarmed by claims made by Abono chairman Rosendo So that the country faces a rice crisis because of an oversupply of the staple.

      After being the world’s largest rice importer to becoming a country that now faces oversupply of rice, shouldn’t So and the farmers be happy that they could become exporters by next year?

      Apparently, the farmers have increased their yield the past two years, but are unable to sell their produce at a profitable price because smuggled rice from China and Vietnam have flooded the market. The increased production and rampant smuggling have resulted in oversupply and huge losses for the farmers, and hefty profits for the rice cartels and the rice smugglers [...]

      Read the full story >>    Buy from smugglers, export produce?

      ALSO IN THE NEWS

      Be on the alert for idioglossia in Pinoy politics

      AS I WRECK THIS CHAIR
      By William M. Esposo
      The Philippine Star

      Idioglossia

      Assuming that you saw the ‘sword and sandal’ movie epic Gladiator that starred Russell Crowe — did you ever wonder what language singer Lisa Gerrard used in the theme song “We Are Free” of the movie? It’s hard deciphering if the language of “We Are Free” was Yiddish, as it used the word shalom, or Italian — but then we’ve heard enough Italian in those Mafia movies and some cooking shows to know that it’s not that either.

      It was only recently that our relative in Vancouver, and my Facebook friend, enlightened me that the language is called IDIOGLOSSIA. Idioglossia is a distinct language created by one or a few people, and exclusive to them. It’s common among twins to naturally indulge in idioglossia.

      It then occurred to me that one big reason why we could not fix our political problems in the recent past and get our country going on the path to prosperity is because many of our politicians engage in the practice of idioglossia. Idioglossia could explain the disjoint between political promise and public office track record. Our politicians promise us the sky and the moon but we hardly even get a piece of the earth. That’s grand scale idioglossia, wouldn’t you agree [...]

      Read the full story >>   Be on the alert for idioglossia in Pinoy politics

      **************************

      Senate race: Battle lines drawn

      By Marvin Sy and Delon Porcalla
      The Philippine Star

      (Top) President Aquino leads the proclamation rally of Team PNOY at Plaza Miranda in Manila yesterday.; (Below) UNA ‘Three Kings’ Vice President Jejomar Binay, Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile and former President Joseph Estrada endorse the senatorial candidates of the coalition during the proclamation rally in Cebu yesterday. JOVEN CAGANDE/JONJON VICENCIO     (Top) President Aquino leads the proclamation rally of Team PNOY at Plaza Miranda in Manila yesterday.; (Below) UNA ‘Three Kings’ Vice President Jejomar Binay, Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile and former President Joseph Estrada endorse the senatorial candidates of the coalition during the proclamation rally in Cebu yesterday. JOVEN CAGANDE/JONJON VICENCIO

      MANILA, Philippines – The race for 12 Senate seats kicked off yesterday with President Aquino pitching for the administration slate in Manila while Vice President Jejomar Binay led the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) in Cebu City.

      Aquino personally launched the proclamation rally of “Team PNoy” at Plaza Miranda in Quiapo with the color yellow made prominent by political leaders.

      Aquino introduced his 12 handpicked candidates that he said “would bring us to the righteous path.”

      He rallied support for the 12 candidates as he spoke of the various anomalies of the previous administration.

      “If I may ask you, will you still allow anomalies in the past administration to continue?” Aquino asked the thousands who attended the rally that started at 4 p.m.

      Sen. Franklin Drilon, Team PNoy campaign manager, stressed the need of the administration to secure a majority of Senate seats in the midterm elections and ensure that its programs for the last three years would run smoothly and bear fruit [...]

      Read the full story >>    Senate race: Battle lines drawn

      **************************

      Political CBCP; Jun Lozada

      By DUCKY PAREDES
      MALAYA

      ‘The bishops will demand that politicians talk about their views on what the bishops consider as critical social issues, such as same-sex marriage, divorce, contraceptives and corruption.’

      Bishops.1

      THE news that the Catholic bishops will vigorously campaign against politicians who ignored them, leading to the church’s failure to stop the passage of the Responsible Parenthood and Reproductive Health Act of 2012 (RA 10354).

      The Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) sees itself as a potent political force. I have news for them. Most of us do not want them to be anything political. In fact, the smarter thing for them to do is to strictly follow Section 6, Article 2 of the Constitution: “The separation of Church and State shall be inviolable.”

      (A lawyer explains that the bishops agree that Church and State are separate but not equal. The Church regards itself as on top and the State below the Church!)

      The decision to go into full campaign mode was decided during the CBCP’s annual plenary. As a result, the bishops will demand that politicians talk about their views on what the bishops consider as critical social issues, such as same-sex marriage, divorce, contraceptives and corruption [...]

      Read the full story >>     Political CBCP; Jun Lozada

      **************************

      Phl hoping for first Pinoy pope

      Source: The Philippine Star

      Photo taken Nov. 24, 2012 shows Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Tagle receiving from Pope Benedict XVI the scarlet silk biretta after taking his oath as cardinal at St. Peter’s Basilica.

      MANILA, Philippines – Filipinos yesterday expressed hope that Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle would become the next pontiff, as media reports included him in the shortlist of 10 “papabili” or candidates likely to succeed Pope Benedict XVI, who is resigning due to health reasons.

      In a press conference, the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) expressed shock over Benedict’s resignation, and spoke about the country’s desire to have a Filipino pope.

      “We Filipinos would like a Filipino to be pope. Any country would be proud of that – that your own cardinal becomes pope. The ordinary people, they would like Tagle to be pope because he is a Filipino,” said Father Francis Lucas, head of the mass media commission of the country’s Roman Catholic bishops.

      Malacañang said it is honored with Tagle’s inclusion in the list as a potential pontiff, but said it would still be up to the conclave to elect the next leader of the Catholic Church [...]

      Read the full story >>   Phl hoping for first Pinoy pope

      **************************

      ‘Spirituality will save us from moral, cultural, economic and political decay’

      By Alex P. Vidal

      Spirituality

      Even if we elect the best politicians to lead our country, we can’t survive as a nation if we lack or refuse to adopt spirituality as a way of life, warned Dr. Richard Plana, Iloilo’s top guru on spirituality.

      “Our concept of spirituality should be universal and not parochial,” explained the Ilonggo university professor. “Spirituality will save us from moral, cultural, economic and political decay.”

      Plana cited “the glory that was Greece and the grandeur that was Rome.”

      “They are all in the past tense because aside from the fact that they now belong in history, Greece is not anymore glorious and Rome does not have grandeur,” he said [...]

      Read the full story >>   ‘Spirituality will save us from moral, cultural, economic and political decay’

      **************************

      Japan to give patrol boats to Manila amid China tensions

      Source: Agence France-Presse in Tokyo

      A Japan Coast Guard patrol ship (left) shoots water at a fishing boat carrying Taiwanese activists near the Diaoyu Islands last month. Photo: Reuters

      A Japan Coast Guard patrol ship (left) shoots water at a fishing boat carrying Taiwanese activists near the Diaoyu Islands last month. Photo: Reuters

      Japan plans to donate patrol boats costing US$11 million each to the Philippines, ramping up regional efforts to monitor China’s maritime activity in disputed waters, a newspaper said on Monday.

      The Japanese government plans to finance the deal in its fiscal this year budget starting in April and hopes to officially sign it early next year, the Nikkei business daily reported.

      Japan will then provide the Philippines with the newly built patrol vessels, which will cost more than 1 billion yen each, the newspaper said, without specifying the number of boats on offer.

      Both countries are locked in separate territorial disputes with China [...]

      The disputed islets, known as the Senkaku in Japan and the Diaoyu in China. Photo: ReutersJapan’s dispute is over a group of uninhabited islands in the East China Sea known as the Senkakus in Japan and the Diaoyus in China.

      Senkaku Islands

      Read the full story >>   Japan to give patrol boats to Manila amid China tensions

      **************************

      U.S. Navy to pull aircraft carrier from Persian Gulf over budget worries

      By Jim Miklaszewski and Andrew Rafferty
      NBC News

      The USS Harry S. Truman at an undisclosed location in the Atlantic Ocean in December 2012. (Kristina Young / Handout / EPA)

      Published 6:30 p.m. ET: Budget constraints are prompting the U.S. Navy to cut back the number of aircraft carriers in the Persian Gulf region from two to one, the latest example of how contentious fiscal battles in Washington are impacting the U.S. military.

      According to Defense Department officials, the USS Harry S. Truman, which was set to leave for the Persian Gulf region on Friday, will now remain stateside, based in Norfolk, Virginia.

      Defense Secretary Leon Panetta ordered the change to the department’s “two-carrier policy” in the Persian Gulf region early Wednesday.

      The U.S. has steadily kept two aircraft carriers in the Persian Gulf for much of the last two years. In 2010, then-Secretary of Defense Robert Gates issued a directive to keep two in the area given the volatility of the region [...]

      Read the full story >>  U.S. Navy to pull aircraft carrier from Persian Gulf over budget worries

      Visit www.GlobalBalita.com for more news and updates.

      DISCLAIMER: Commentaries or articles may be submitted for publication. However, the commentaries and articles submitted by writers and readers for publication do not necessarily reflect the views of Global Balita and its Editor. The Editor does not knowingly publish false information and may not be held liable for the views of writers and readers exercising their right to free expression. Global Balita and its Editor reserve the right to reject any commentary or article submitted for publication.

      END