Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Norfolk Meeting

Expand Messages
  • Steve Karg
    Hello BACnet Lighting Working Group! We are scheduled to meet Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base in Norfolk, VA, from 8am-noon on Monday, September 26, 2005.
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 2005
      Hello BACnet Lighting Working Group!

      We are scheduled to meet Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base in Norfolk,
      VA, from 8am-noon on Monday, September 26, 2005. I will have an agenda
      soon - please post any additional agenda items to this list, or bring
      them up during our agenda reveiw at the meeting.

      Because we are meeting on a military base, there are a few more steps
      involved before you arrive. Please read the appended info and follow the
      directions closely.

      Also, for those that would like to stay for other working group
      meetings, appended is the rest of the working group and SSPC schedule.

      Best Regards,


      SSPC 135 Working Group Meeting Schedule
      Sandpiper Conference Room
      Little Creek Conference Center
      3408 Drexler Manor, 2nd Floor

      Monday: 8 AM – Noon NS-WG
      1PM – 5 PM XML-WG
      1PM – 3 PM UI-WG

      Tuesday: 8 AM – 5 PM LSS-WG

      Wednesday: 8 AM – 5 PM SSPC 135

      Thursday: 8 AM – Noon LSS-WG
      8 AM – 3 PM AP-WG
      1 PM – 5(2?) 3 PM IP-WG

      Just a note to avoid any problems at the last minute coming to Norfolk:

      (1) When sending your security information to Ernie Bryant to get on the
      Gate 4 List, look for a personal reply from him to verify he received
      your information. If you don't get that reply, just assume that he
      didn't get the email and send it again.

      (2) For lodging at the BOQ, please send a separate email to Karl
      Kretchmer and be sure you get a reply from Karl before Sept 8th.

      (3) See the following detailed instructions from Ernie (some may have
      seen this from earlier e-mails from other working groups):

      September 25-29 Fall SSPC 135 Meeting
      Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base

      The Fall Meeting will be held in the in the Conference Rooms located on
      the 2nd and 3rd floors in building 3408 Drexler Manor. Dates are Monday
      September 26 through 29, 2005 from 0700 to 1700 (1500 on Thursday).
      This is where your lodging is located also.

      NOTE: Please provide SECURITY (GATE 4) information to Ernie Bryant and
      LODGING information to Karl Kretchmer as soon as you possibly can. Last
      minute arrivals are difficult to process and Sept 8th is our cut-off on
      the rooms.


      Enter at Gate 4 Only – NIDER BLVD at SHORE DRIVE (Rt. 60).

      Email the following to Ernie Bryant at Little Creek Amphibious Base as
      soon as possible to: mailto:ernest.c.bryant@...

      (1) NAME (exactly as it is shown on your driver’s license or passport)

      (2) SSN or Passport Number (or Social Insurance Number if applicable)

      (3) Vehicle ID:
      If you are coming from the airport or driving a rental car just say
      “rental car”.
      If you are driving your own vehicle; give Make, Model, Year, Color,
      License Plate Number, and State. That is 6 items!

      (4) Expected day of arrival and time.

      (5) Use the right hand lane for commercial trucks and tell guard that
      you are on the “sponsor list”. Expect to get some kind of password to
      get into the gate.

      (6) If you are coming from outside the United States, your rental
      vehicle will need a 5 day pass which will take a few minutes to obtain
      at the pass office the day after you arrive (Ernie Bryant will assist you).

      (7) Company Name and Address

      If you experience any problems, call Ernie Bryant at:

      Work (757) 462-7059
      Cell (757) 650-7292
      Pager (757) 682-2605
      Home (757) 495-1582

      Ernie Bryant
      Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek
      1450 Gator Blvd. - Bldg 3165 - Code 642 - DDC Group
      Norfolk, Virginia 23521
      Cell (757) 650-7292
      (757) 462-7059 DSN 253-7059
      FAX 462-8407 - Pager 682-2605


      From: 2200 Norview Ave Norfolk, VA 23518-5804 US (Norfolk International

      To: 1120 A St Norfolk, VA 23521-2200 US (Drexler Manor at Little Creek)

      Driving Directions
      1. Start out going NORTHEAST on AZALEA GARDEN RD/VA-192 toward TALLYHO
      TER. (1.08 miles)
      2. Turn RIGHT onto HEUTTE DR. (1.21 miles)
      3. Turn RIGHT onto US-60 E/SHORE DR. (2.24 miles)
      4. Turn LEFT onto NIDER BLVD. (0.18 miles)
      5. Turn RIGHT onto AMPHIBIOUS DR. (0.30 miles)
      6. AMPHIBIOUS DR becomes 3RD ST. (0.39 miles)
      7. Turn LEFT onto A ST. (0.03 miles)
      8. End at 1120 A St Norfolk, VA 23521-2200 US
      Total Estimated Time: 13 minutes
      Total Distance: 5.41 miles

      Sunday Sept 25th. Through Sept 30th

      Lodging has been reserved for everyone on the Little Creek Naval
      Amphibious Base at building 3408 Drexler Manor at $17 per night and no
      tax. This is the same building as the BACnet Conference (note: it is
      not the Navy Lodge). We have Group Reservations for 30 rooms and
      reservations must be made prior to September 8th or rooms will be given up.

      Work directly with the Karl Kretchmer at Little Creek (757) 318-2702.



      Include the following information in your email (you may copy/paste the
      format below into your email):

      Hi Karl, please hold a room for me for the BACnet Conference (group
      reservation #30230100701).

      My information is:



      Email address:

      Phone number(s):

      Company Information:

      Credit Card Information:

      Arrival date (and approximate time):

      Departure Date:
    • Steve Karg
      Hello BACnet Lighting Working Group! We are scheduled to meet at the Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base in Norfolk, VA, from 8am-noon on Monday, September 26,
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 23, 2005
        Hello BACnet Lighting Working Group!

        We are scheduled to meet at the Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base in
        Norfolk, VA, from 8am-noon on Monday, September 26, 2005. Here is the
        agenda, which will also be posted at <ftp://SSPC:135@.../>,
        probably in the folder for the Norfolk meeting under the LA-WG, along
        with last meetings minutes.

        See you then!


        BACnet Lighting Applications Working Group
        BACnet working groups interim meetings
        Sandpiper Conference Room on the 2nd floor in building at 3408 Drexler
        Little Creek Conference Center
        Little Creek Amphibious Base
        Norfolk, Virginia.

        Monday, September 26, 2005
        1. Opening remarks – SSPC Interim Meeting (Bill Swan) (8:00 a.m. - 30
        2. Opening remark – working group (8:30 - 5 minutes)
        3. Circulation of attendance sheet, and introduction of those present
        (8:35 - 5minutes)
        4. Meeting role assignments (8:40 - 5minutes)
        *time keeper
        *non-agenda item attendant
        5. Approval of the minutes from the previous meeting. (8:45 - 5 minutes)
        6. Discussion and approval of the agenda for this meeting. (8:50 - 5
        7. Liason reports - (8:55 - 5 minutes)
        8. LA-WG proposal discussion / resolution via consensus (9:00 - 3 hours)
        * A method for "Room Combining"
        * A color property in the Lighting Output Object
        9. Break (10:00 - 10 minutes)
        10. Discussion of Non-Agenda Items (11:30 - 20 minutes)
        11. Schedule for future meetings.(11:50 - 10 minutes)
        12. Adjournment (12:00 noon)
      • Steve Karg
        Hello BACnet Lighting Working Group! We met at Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base in Norfolk, VA, from 8am-noon on Monday, September 26, 2005. Here are the
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
          Hello BACnet Lighting Working Group!

          We met at Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base in Norfolk, VA, from
          8am-noon on Monday, September 26, 2005. Here are the minutes from the

          Best Regards,

          Steve Karg
          Lithonia Lighting

          BACnet - Lighting Applications Working Group
          Meeting Minutes
          Norfolk, Virginia

          Participants - Affiliation
          Steve Karg - Lithonia Lighting
          Robert Hick - Leviton Lighting
          David Fisher - Polarsoft
          Steve Treado - NIST
          Steve Jurasek - Applied Control Specialists
          Dick Chipchak - Applied Control Specialists

          The meeting was called to order at 8:30am. A timekeeper (Steve
          Treado) and a scribe (Robert Hick) were assigned. Dick Chipchak was
          volunteered to track the non-agenda items. The previous meeting
          minutes were reviewed and approved. The meeting agenda was reviewed .
          Steve Karg noted that he added "A color property in the Lighting
          Output Object" to the agenda. Agenda was approved as ammended.

          Liason Reports
          Robert Hick reported on NEMA DALI activity:

          NEMA Joint Sections Committee on DALI has received several comments
          back on NEMA 243 DALI Protocol and is currently discussing and
          integrating changes into the document.

          The NEMA Lighting Controls Section is meeting 9/28 . One item on the
          agenda will be to approve funding for the Verification and
          Demonstration of DALI 243. It is expected to pass and has strong
          support from the controls and ballast communities.

          Initial response indicates COMEX Project Team members may not
          integrate NEMA 243 into IEC 62386. NEMA is expected to continue to
          promote NEMA 243 for US and North America.

          Robert also noted that Zigbee is now showing up in commercial ballasts
          and control devices as a wireless protocol.

          LA-WG proposal discussion:

          DMF032-4/5 WriteGroup Service

          David Fisher described changes he had made to this proposal,

          Corrected title.
          Added GroupChannelGeneralValue to encompass additional data types if
          desired and still preserve the simplicity and efficiency of the
          smaller data types. Null value is relinquish.
          Add optional property for Transition Time.

          It was moved that this proposal be sent up to the SSPC for
          consideration, the motion was carried. A brief discussion ensued about
          the status of the other proposals, it was noted that most were on the
          docket for the next SSPC meeting.

          Room Combining

          Robert Hick presented a paper describing room combining and examples
          for using the newly proposed WriteGroup and WriteGroupMode services.

          David asked if BACnet devices needed to have visibility to the
          contents of a "preset". It was decided to hold this
          discussion until

          A discussion about dynamic group membership and means to accomplish it
          It was decided that a property should be added to the control group
          object to read and write the group membership. It was decided that
          and array would be the best choice.

          David Fisher agreed to try to make these revisions to both DMF-30 and
          DMF-32 prior to the SSPC meeting discussion.

          A color property in the Lighting Output Object

          Steve Karg presented a case whereby there was a need to add color
          control to the light object. Steve's example was a fixture with a
          variable color ring.

          Steve presented information on how color control is done on PC's.
          Three 8bit values representing Red, Green, and Blue, appeared to be
          the most popular system. It was suggested the we incorporate an RGB
          value property into the light object proposal DMF-011. It was decided
          that luminescence remain a separate property.

          A discussion ensued concerning the meaning of RGB and how it relates
          to chromaticity, it was decided that this should be a local matter.

          A motion was made and seconded to add this property to the Lighting
          Object. Motion was carried. David Fisher will add this to the
          Lighting Output Object.

          Visibility of members of a preset.

          A discussion ensued concerning whether BACnet should have visibility
          of lighting preset contents. It was decided that the WriteGroupMode
          service provided a simple "mode" number to select a preset,
          further defining mode to be a preset with specific contents may harm
          the flexibility of this service for non-lighting applications.

          Next meeting
          It was decided that the LAWG had submitted proposed solutions to
          BACnet lighing requirements and no new issues have been discovered. A
          future meeting would be held only if new issues were identified or
          further work on current proposal was needed. Tentative date for next
          meeting opportunity would be January 14-18 in Chicago. More details
          will be posted to the mailing list by Steve Karg as they become

          Submitted by Robert Hick with edits by Steve Karg.
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.