Meeting in Denver, Colorado

    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2005
      Hi Lighting Applications Working Group!

      As suggested in our last meeting, our next scheduled meeting will be
      at the SSPC meeting, which is being held at Adam's Mark Hotel, Denver,
      Colorado. The Lighting Applications working group will meet from 1 PM
      Saturday, June 25th until 5 PM, in Capitol of Adam's Mark Hotel.
      Other BACnet working groups will be meeting at various times during
      the same week.

      Details about the meeting location can be found on ASHRAE:
      http://www.ashrae.org/template/AssetDetail?assetID=41685

      -----------------------
      BACnet Meeting Schedule
      -----------------------

      BACnet Testing Lab Working Group meeting:

      Thursday, June 23rd:
      8 AM - 5 PM BTL-WG Contact Jim Butler*

      Friday, June 24th:
      8 AM - 5 PM BTL-WG Contact Jim Butler*
      *jimbutler@...

      SSPC 135 plenary and working groups meetings:
      Adam's Mark Hotel, Denver

      Saturday, June 25th:
      8 AM - Noon SSPC 135 Director's Row H

      1 - 5 PM NS-WG Director's Row H
      1 - 5 PM LA-WG Capitol

      Sunday, June 26th:
      8 - 10 AM OS-WG Tower Court C
      8:30 - 10 AM MSTP-WG Tower Court B

      10 AM - Noon IP-WG Tower Court C
      10 AM - Noon AP-WG Tower Court B

      1 - 5 PM XML-WG Tower Court C
      1 - 3 PM UI-WG Tower Court B

      Monday, June 27th:
      8 AM - Noon SSPC 135 Director's Row H

      Tuesday, June 28th:
      8 AM - 5 PM LSS-WG Governor's Square 9

      ------------------
      Preliminary agenda
      ------------------

      Lighting Applications Working Group

      The Lighting Applications working group will meet from 1 PM Saturday,
      June 25th until 5 PM, in Capitol of Adam's Mark Hotel.

      Thursday, April 28, 2005.
      ---------------
      1. Opening remarks (1:00 pm - 5 minutes)
      2. Circulation of attendance sheet. Introduction of those present.
      (1:05 pm - 5minutes)
      3. Meeting role assignments (1:10 pm - 5minutes)
      *time keeper
      *scribe
      *non-agenda item attendant
      4. Approval of the minutes from the previous meeting. (1:15 pm - 5
      minutes)
      5. Discussion and approval of the agenda for this meeting. (1:20 pm -
      5 minutes)
      6. Liason reports. (1:25 pm - 5 minutes)
      7. LA-WG proposal discussion / resolution via consensus (1:30 pm - 3.5
      hours)
      * Speed of lighting control on the wire
      -- Fast unconfirmed broadcast write service
      * A method for "Room Combining"
      8. Break (2:30 pm - 7 minutes)
      9. Break (3:30 pm - 7 minutes)
      10. Break (4:30 pm - 7 minutes)
      11. Discussion of Non-Agenda Items (4:37pm - 13 minutes)
      12. Schedule and agenda for future meetings.(4:50pm - 10 minutes)
      13. Adjournment (5:00pm)

      ==================

      Location
      --------
      Adam's Mark Hotel
      1550 Court Place
      Denver, CO 80202
      303-893-3333
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2005
        Hi Lighting Applications Working Group!

        I have produced a draft of the meeting minutes from our last meeting
        at the Adam's Mark Hotel in Denver, Colorado, and converted it to
        text so I can post it here. The DOC version LA016.DOC will go into
        the SSPC folder for our working group. Let me know about any errors or
        omissions.

        -----

        BACnet - Lighting Applications Working Group
        Meeting Minutes
        Denver, Colorado

        DRAFT

        Participants - Affiliation
        --------------------------
        Steve Karg - Lithonia Lighting
        Robert Hick - Leviton Lighting
        David Fisher - Polarsoft
        Craig Spangler - Square D
        Steve Treado - NIST
        David White - Tour Andover Controls
        Rene Quirighetti - Siemens
        Randy Shaull - KMC Controls

        The meeting was called to order at 1pm. A timekeeper (David White)
        and a scribe (Robert Hick) were assigned. Steve Treado was volunteered
        to track the non-agenda items. The previous meeting minutes were
        reviewed and approved. The meeting agenda was reviewed and approved.

        Liason Reports
        Robert Hick reported on NEMA DALI activity:

        Representatives from the NEMA Joint Sections Committee on DALI
        attended the COMEX Project Team meeting on DALI in Frankfurt May
        11-12, 2005. The NEMA 243 DALI protocol was presented and warmly
        received by the PT and NEMA was welcomed as a contributing member. It
        was felt that much of the NEMA work would be usable for Part 3 of IEC
        62386: Particular requirements for control devices. NEMA is now
        working with IEC on section 3-2 ( Arc Power Control: Switching
        Dimming, etc)

        NEMA 243 version 1.17 is out for comment, a copy was distributed.
        Nema has also been negotiating with Freescale Semiconductor to look at
        prototyping a stack and simulation of control devices.

        LA-WG proposal discussion
        -------------------------

        DMF030-4/5 WriteGroupMode Service
        ---------------------------------

        David Fisher presented this new revision to his original proposal as a
        partial solution to the requirement in lighting systems to change a
        large number of values quickly.

        Primary changes were to the WriteGroupAck service:
        Broadcast now changed to Unicast.
        A failure code was added if the write could not be completed.

        A later discussion suggested that the the Supported_Modes property of
        the ControlGroup object be changed to an Array instead of a list.
        David made revisions to -4 and produce a -5 version.

        A motion was made that this proposal be sent on to SSPC for general
        discussion and public review. Motion was passed with no opposing.

        DMF032-4/5 WriteGroup Service
        -----------------------------

        David Fisher described his proposal for a solution to the "Speed of
        lighting control on the wire" issue, as discussed at previous
        meetings.

        The proposal utilizes the concept of "channels", similar to the way
        lighting elements are traditionally addressed with protocols such as
        DMX-512. Devices may assign (through a mechanism that is a local
        matter) a membership in a channel to particular destination properties
        or internal values. When a channel is written with a value, those
        destinations take on the new value at the same time. A new WriteGroup
        service is defined to write a list of channels with respective values
        (8 or 16 bit data types).

        Questions were raised concerning additional data types. It was
        decided that this may be desirable in non-lighting applications and
        easily implemented, but may add complication and reduced efficiency.
        It was decided to currently leave this as-is and see if there is a
        non-lighting interest in changing this.

        A request to add "Fade-Time" (transition time) would be of great
        benefit to lighting applications. David will revise his proposal
        accordingly.

        A motion was passed that this proposal be sent on to SSPC for comments
        after David makes the revision noted.

        Room Combining
        --------------

        A discussion ensued of the requirements in light control for room
        combining. The issue may be thought of in two parts:
        Overall control and status of whether or not a room is joined with
        another in respect to BACnet.
        Mechanics of how the lighting control system may utilize BACnet to
        perform the functions required when rooms are joined.

        David suggested using the "group" parameter of the WriteGroup and
        WriteGroupMode services proposed earlier to perform the operations
        required when rooms are joined with one another. In this case the
        "group" would represent a room. The target device would change group
        memberships depending on the status of room joins.

        It was decided that the lighting manufacturers represented would bring
        examples of room joins scenarios and suggestions on implementing the
        scenarios with current proposed BACnet objects and services. Steve,
        Robert, and Craig agreed to present this at the next meeting.

        Next meeting
        Karg as they become available.