Re: [BACnetLighting] DMF-028-2 with offset in weekly-schedule

  • Stuart.Donaldson@alerton.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2005
      Hello Rene, Steve, and other innocent bystanders...

      Rene identified an important issue, but I am concerned that we will limit the usefulness if we do not come up with a mechanism to support offsets that span the midnight boundary.

      In the real world, time is a linear thing, and offsetting something by 4 hours is offsetting it by 4 hours, and the fact that 4 hours earlier happens to be the day before has no bearing whatsoever on the real world.

      -Stuart-

      Steve Karg <steve@...>

      Please respond to BACnetLighting

              To:        BACnetLighting@yahoogroups.com
              cc:
              Subject:        Re: [BACnetLighting] DMF-028-2 with offset in weekly-schedule

      Hi Rene,

      > There should probably be additional rules, e.g. that the time can't be
      > shifted with offest outside the "current day"....
      >
      > What do you think about that?

      There is also the case where sunrise or sunset returns 00:00 (i.e. no
      sunrise or sunset) because the device is located in Alaska or another
      area of the world where it is sunny or dark 24 hours a day for part of
      the year, and there is an offset.

      I agree that additional rules, rather than error responses or leaving it
      a local matter, would be a good idea.  Making it part of the standard
      would keep implementations from configuration problems.

      http://www.kargs.net/

         BACnetLighting-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Dave Robin
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2005
        Absolutely.   The fact that current BACnet schedules cannot cross midnight is a glaring omission.   Is is common for real people to want to make schedules that cross midnight, and clever workstations have to split that desire into two schedules (one ending at 23:59:59.99 and one starting at 00:00:00.00) and hope to goodness that the target device crosses midnight without a bump.   This is not pretty.   All future changes to the schedule object should handle crossing midnight seamlessly.

                To:     BACnetLighting@yahoogroups.com
                cc:

        Hi Rene,

        There should probably be additional rules, e.g. that the time can't be
        shifted with offest outside the "current day"....

        What do you think about that?

        There is also the case where sunrise or sunset returns 00:00 (i.e. no
        sunrise or sunset) because the device is located in Alaska or another
        area of the world where it is sunny or dark 24 hours a day for part of
        the year, and there is an offset.

        I agree that additional rules, rather than error responses or leaving it
        a local matter, would be a good idea.  Making it part of the standard
        would keep implementations from configuration problems.

        Dave Robin, Automated Logic Corporation
        phone: (770)795-4888
        fax:   (770)795-3588
        email: drobin@...