Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Meeting in Germantown, Maryland

Expand Messages
  • Steve Karg
    Hi Group! As suggested in our last meeting, our next scheduled meeting will be at the interim SSPC meeting, which is being held at Montgomery College
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 22, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi Group!

      As suggested in our last meeting, our next scheduled meeting will be
      at the interim SSPC meeting, which is being held at Montgomery College
      Germantown Campus.

      The Lighting Applications working group meeting is scheduled for all
      day (8am-5pm) Thursday, April 29, 2004 in HT Globe Hall.

      I will post an agenda by the week of April 12, 2004. If there is
      something you would like to see on the agenda, please post it here or
      send an e-mail to me.

      The schedule includes a technical tour of the NIST Advanced
      Measurement Laboratories. Everyone attending the meetings is welcome
      to participate. However, NIST no longer has an open campus and Steve
      Bushby must provide information to NIST security staff in advance
      about everyone who will visit. If you would like to participate please
      send Steve Bushby an e-mail message <steven.bushby@...> with a
      subject line of "NIST AML Tour" and the following information:

      Name (First, Middle , Last)
      Title
      Employer
      Address
      Country of Citizenship

      Because of the size of the group and the probability of having foreign
      nationals, Steve Bushby will need some processing time to make this
      work. If you would like to attend the tour he must have your
      information by April 19. If you miss this deadline he will not be able
      to get you into the NIST campus. You will need a government issued
      photo ID when you check in. A drivers license is fine for US citizens
      and residents. A passport should be used for others.

      See you there!

      Steve

      ====================================
      ASHRAE SSPC 135 Meeting

      April 26 - April 30, 2004

      Location: Montgomery College Germantown Campus
      20200 Observation Drive
      Germantown, Maryland 20876

      Building: High Technology Sciences Center (HT)
      Room 216

      Directions: www.montgomerycollege.edu
      Look under information for: visitors and community: maps & directions:
      Germantown campus. We are located just Northwest of Washington, DC,
      directly off of Interstate I-270 North, not far from the National
      Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).

      Parking: Park in any white line space.

      Contact: Mike Whitcomb, P.E.
      Energy Manager
      Montgomery College
      900 Hungerford Drive
      Rockville, Maryland, 20850
      Office Phone: 301.251.7375
      Office Fax: 301.251.7379
      Mobile Phone: 301.509.3723
      e-mail: mike.whitcomb@...


      Airports: We are served by the three major airports in the Washington,
      DC area, Baltimore-Washington International(BWI), Dulles
      International(IAD) and Reagan National(DCA).

      Metro: We are located just North(approximately 10 miles) of the Red
      Line, Shady Grove Metro Station. The Metro is the subway rail system
      serving the DC metro area. A shuttle service is available from the
      Hampton Inn. Taxi service is also available.

      Hotel: Hampton Inn Germantown
      20260 Goldenrod Lane
      Germantown, MD 20876
      Contact: Ms. Taunya Roberts

      Phone: 301.428-1300 x7105
      Fax: 301.428.9034
      e-mail: germantownsales@...
      website: www.hampton-inn.com/hi/germantown-gaithers
      Rate: $89.00 + tax, includes newly upgraded hot item breakfast
      Reservation Note: If booking on line, specify under Special Accts,
      Group/Convention – the code "ASH". If calling the hotel
      directly,
      mention that you are with ASHRAE.
      Location: Get maps and directions from website. The Hampton Inn is
      located on property adjacent to our Germantown Campus and is a 2 block
      walk through parking lots that adjoin our campus.



      Meeting Schedule

      Monday April 26
      BTL WG (HT216 8:00am-5:30pm)
      Additional Break-out Room (HT Atrium Lobby 8:00am-5:30pm)

      Tuesday April 27

      8:00 - 12:00 Network Security (HT216) || Life Safety & Security (HT
      Atrium Lobby)
      12:00 - 1:00 Lunch (HS Cafeteria)
      1:00 - 5:00 Utility Integration (HT Atrium Lobby) || Life Safety &
      Security (HT Globe Hall)
      6:00 SSPC Dinner (Indian Restaurant, Direction to Be Furnished)

      Wednesday April 28

      8:00 – 12:00 Applications (HT216)|| Life Safety and Security (HT
      Atrium Lobby)
      12:00 - 1:00 Lunch (HS Cafeteria)
      1:00 - 5:00 NIST Advanced Measurement Laboratory Tour (Advanced
      registration required)

      Thursday April 29
      8:00 - 12:00 XML(HT Atrium Lobby) || Lighting Applications (HT Globe
      Hall)
      12:00 - 1:00 Lunch (HS Cafeteria)
      1:00 - 5:00 Objects and Services (HT Atrium Lobby) || Lighting
      Applications (HT Globe Hall)

      Friday April 30
      8:00 – 12:00 Objects and Services (SA176 8:00am-5:00pm)|| Open
      (HT216
      8:00am-11:00am)
    • Steve Karg
      Hi Group, Here is my proposed agenda for the Lighting Applications working group meeting that is scheduled for all day (8am-5pm) Thursday, April 29, 2004 in HT
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 13, 2004
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi Group,

        Here is my proposed agenda for the Lighting Applications working group
        meeting that is scheduled for all day (8am-5pm) Thursday, April 29,
        2004 in HT Globe Hall at Montgomery College, Germantown Campus in
        Germantown, Maryland.

        I have arranged for a flipchart and markers to be available, and am
        planning to provide snacks and drinks as well.

        See you in a couple weeks!

        Steve Karg
        Senior Engineer
        Lithonia Lighting

        ------------------------------------
        Agenda

        Lighting Applications Working Group
        BACnet working groups interim meetings
        HT Globe Hall
        Montgomery College, Germantown Campus
        Germantown, Maryland

        Thursday, April 29, 2004
        ----------------
        1.Opening remarks (8:00 p.m. - 5 minutes)

        2.Circulation of attendance sheet, and introduction of those present
        (8:05 - 5minutes)

        3.Meeting role assignments (8:10 - 5minutes)
        time keeper
        scribe
        non-agenda item attendant

        4.Approval of the minutes from the previous meeting. (8:15 am - 5
        minutes)

        5.Discussion and approval of the agenda for this meeting. (8:20 am -
        5 minutes)

        6.Liason reports - NEMA Standard 243, DALI Control Devices Protocol,
        Part 1, General Requirements - comments due 30 April 2004. Are there
        any foreseen problems integrating with BACnet? (8:25 am - 10 minutes)

        7.LA-WG proposal discussion / resolution via consensus (9:00 am - 3.5
        hours)
        STK-004 - Multiplexor Object
        STK-001/DHR-002 - Lighting Output Object or Lighting Output properties
        STK-011 - Warning Blink for Lighting
        STK-015 - Tripped Breaker Status

        8.Break (10:00 am - 10 minutes)

        9.Lunch (12:00 pm - 60 minutes) HS Cafeteria

        10.Determine course of action for Dimming Actuator (Annex H) (1:00 pm
        - 30 minutes)

        11.Determine course of action for Scheduling Dawn/Dusk (1:30 pm - 30
        minutes)

        12.Break (2:00 pm - 7 minutes)

        13.LA-WG proposal discussion / resolution via consensus (2:07 pm -
        2.5 hours)

        14.Break (3:00 pm - 7 minutes)

        15.Break (4:00 pm - 7 minutes)

        16.Discussion of Non-Agenda Items (4:30pm - 20 minutes)

        17.Schedule for future meetings.(4:50pm - 10 minutes)

        18.Adjournment (5:00pm)

        ==================
        "LA-WG: Lighting Applications
        This group will research, draft, and propose additions to the BACnet
        standard to support the requirements of lighting control applications.
        They will work in cooperation with the NEMA Lighting Control Council,
        and the Illumination Engineering Society Controls Committee."
      • Steve Karg
        Greetings Lighting Application working group! Our meeting in Germantown, Maryland, was quite successful. And that was just the snacks and drinks! Most of the
        Message 3 of 12 , May 18 11:45 AM
        • 0 Attachment
          Greetings Lighting Application working group!

          Our meeting in Germantown, Maryland, was quite successful. And that
          was just the snacks and drinks! Most of the proposals were discussed,
          modified, voted on, and sent on to the full SSPC 135 BACnet committee.
          Attached are the meeting minutes (kindly taken by Steve Treado).

          The updated proposals will be posted on the Yahoo!Groups site under
          the files, as well as under the SSPC 135 Active Proposals.

          Best Regards,

          Steve Karg
          Lithonia Lighting
          --------------------------
          BACnet - Lighting Applications Working Group
          Meeting Minutes
          April 29, 2004
          Germantown, Maryland

          Participants - Affiliation
          --------------------------
          David Ritter - Delta Controls
          Steve Karg - Lithonia Lighting
          Steve Treado - NIST
          Robert Hick - Leviton Lighting
          David Fisher - Polarsoft
          Pete Baselici - The Wattstopper
          Steve Bushby - NIST

          The meeting was called to order at 8:15 by convener Steve Karg
          Minutes from Anaheim were approved.
          Reviewed meeting agenda
          Meeting agenda approved

          Update on NEMA standard 243, DALI control devices protocol:

          New features- 2 to 3 bytes, single master
          DALI products are now being offered by Tridonic, Starfield, Leviton
          and Wattstopper.
          Advance is bringing out a new DALI ballast
          A discussion followed regarding strengthening ties to the DALI working
          group of the NEMA Controls Council
          Suggestion: Update the DALI committee on BACnet LAWG activities when
          they meet in two weeks
          ACTION ITEM: Steve Treado will draft a paper discussing the
          relationship between BACnet and DALI protocols and applications

          LAWG Proposal discussions:

          STK004 - Multiplexor object
          Principle allows writing select data types beyond lighting
          DR: What time frames are involved and how is completion presented?
          Suggested change: If an attempt is made to modify list of write
          access results (WAR) while write is in process, the list shall be
          tagged as in-process
          If the list of WAR is read during execution, uncompleted write status
          will return in-process
          STK004-12 was updated and reposted; will incorporate figure into
          proposal
          The multiplexor object was approved as modified for full committee
          review.

          DMF011-13-Lighting Output Object
          DF revised lighting output object and created new material to modify
          existing analog output and analog value objects. Both approaches will
          be sent forward for main committee review.
          New approach creates new property, lighting command object
          Lighting output object type
          Commands are interruptible based on priority
          Discussion on performance of relinquish and priority
          Some DALI functions are not included:
          Step up and off/on
          Step down and off/on
          Recall max level
          Recall min level
          Arc power
          What does arc power mean for DALI? Measured or calculated?
          Discussion:
          How should AO, BO etc. be incorporated with lighting subclasses?
          Decided:
          Proceed with three objects
          Add blink warn to BO
          Add lighting control functionality to AO, AV
          Additions to lighting output object:
          1.power level- yes
          2.threshold- no
          3.number of strikes?
          4.run time?
          Five properties from BO will be added to proposal
          Discussion on whether to include min and max level
          Decided to include as clamping values, optional and writable
          Should fading and ramping be added to list of definitions? Yes
          Added min and max level language to proposal
          Added footnote for required writability

          Discussion on warning blink time, delay and priority:
          Reworded to account for priority array effects
          SK suggestion:
          Blink delay of zero means infinite delay (i.e. blink only, no lights
          off)
          Lighting output object was approved for full committee review

          Future possibility: timed switch object or informative annex

          DMF 018 and DMF 019 will be modified to reflect the changes in DMF 011
          and sent to full committee

          Discussion:
          How should LAWG present the three proposals to the full committee?
          Decision: The LAWG is in favor of the lighting output object because
          it should be more attractive to the lighting control community and
          will not overload the AO and AV objects. The downside of this
          approach is that a lot of the functionality is already present in the
          existing objects.

          Discussion of Annex H:

          Mapping to EIB dimming actuator
          SB suggestion: Take no action until new lighting objects are released
          for review
          DF: No major problems with the mapping concept

          Dawn Dusk Scheduler:

          How to program variable time values into schedules, perhaps by using a
          pointer from the schedule object
          Proposal BACnet "famous times":
          BACnet Time Value pointing to variable time output of calculation,
          fixed time or any other time source
          Minor discussion of STK-012: Even and Odd days of the Month (submit to
          full committee).
          ACTION ITEM: DF will write up proposal- simple change, great increase
          in flexibility
          Will post for LAWG review, and then send to full committee

          STK 015: Tripped Breaker Status:

          Add new enumerations to reliability indicator-
          mechanical open
          mechanical closed
          forced on
          tripped
          SB: tripped makes sense - others are too similar to overridden.
          ACTION ITEM: SK will revise text

          DMF 005:
          Simple value object- Similar to BACnet primitive data object except
          for date/time
          ACTION ITEM: DF will revise and post for LAWG review, then forward to
          full committee

          Next meeting? Decided to skip Nashville ASHRAE meeting since we have
          little to discuss and SSPC BACnet has a lot of our stuff to approve.
          DF suggestion: Summit/workshop for lighting control stakeholders.
          Where? When?

          Meeting adjourned

          Submitted by Steve Treado with edits by Steve Karg.
        • Steve Karg
          Hi Lighting Applications Working Group! As suggested in our last meeting, our next scheduled meeting will be at the interim SSPC meeting, which is being held
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 14, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            Hi Lighting Applications Working Group!

            As suggested in our last meeting, our next scheduled meeting will be
            at the interim SSPC meeting, which is being held at Montgomery College
            Germantown Campus. Other working groups will be meeting as well.

            Our hosts are arranging for a block of rooms at the nearby Hampton
            Inn; the details will be posted when they are ready.

            The meeting schedule is as follows:
            Mon 4/25: 8A - 5P BTL-WG HTSC 216

            Tue 4/26: 8A - 5P LSS-WG (1) HSS 007
            8A - 12N BTL-WG HTSC 216
            1P - 5P MSTP-WG HTSC 216

            Wed 4/27: 8A - 12N NS-WG HTSC 216
            8A - 12N AP-WG HSS 007
            1P- 5P XML-WG HTSC 216

            Thu 4/28: 8A - 5P LSS-WG (2) HSS 007
            8A - 12N OS-WG (1) HTSC 216
            1P - 5P LA-WG HTSC 216
            1P - 5P UI-WG HTSC Lobby

            Fri 4/29: 8A - 12N OS-WG (2) HTSC 216

            Please let Bill Swan <mailto:Bill.Swan@...> know if you plan
            on attending, so he can come up with a rough head count in advance.

            Best Regards,

            Steve Karg
            Lithonia Lighting

            ------------------
            Preliminary agenda
            ------------------

            Lighting Applications Working Group
            BACnet working groups interim meetings
            HT Globe Hall
            Montgomery College, Germantown Campus
            Germantown, Maryland

            The Lighting Applications working group will meet from 1 PM Thursday,
            April 28th until 5 PM, in HTSC 216 of HT Globe Hall.

            Thursday, April 28, 2005.
            ---------------
            1.Opening remarks (1:00 pm - 5 minutes)
            2.Circulation of attendance sheet. Introduction of those present.
            (1:05 pm - 5minutes)
            3.Meeting role assignments (1:10 pm - 5minutes)
            time keeper
            scribe
            non-agenda item attendant
            4.Approval of the minutes from the previous meeting. (1:15 pm - 5
            minutes)
            5.Discussion and approval of the agenda for this meeting. (1:20 pm -
            5 minutes)
            6.Liason reports. (1:25 pm - 5 minutes)
            7.LA-WG proposal discussion / resolution via consensus (1:30 pm - 3.5
            hours)
            * DMF-028-2 - offset in weekly schedule
            * Speed of lighting control on the wire
            -- Broadcast group write of mode
            -- Fast unconfirmed broadcast write service
            8.Break (2:30 pm - 7 minutes)
            9.Break (3:30 pm - 7 minutes)
            10.Break (4:30 pm - 7 minutes)
            11.Discussion of Non-Agenda Items (4:37pm - 13 minutes)
            12.Schedule and agenda for future meetings.(4:50pm - 10 minutes)
            13.Adjournment (5:00pm)
            ==================
          • Steve Karg
            The Lighting Applications working group will meet from 1 PM Thursday, April 28th until 5 PM, in HTSC 216 of HT Globe Hall at Montgomery College Germantown
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 17, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              The Lighting Applications working group will meet from 1 PM Thursday,
              April 28th until 5 PM, in HTSC 216 of HT Globe Hall at Montgomery
              College Germantown Campus. Other BACnet working groups will be
              meeting at various times during the same week.

              Location
              --------
              Montgomery College Germantown Campus
              20200 Observation Drive
              Germantown, Maryland 20876

              Directions
              ----------
              http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/
              Look under directories, maps & directions. Located just northwest of
              Washington, DC, off of Interstate I-270 North.

              Parking
              -------
              Park in any white line space on campus.

              Local Contact
              -------------
              Mike Whitcomb, P.E.
              Energy Manager
              Montgomery College
              900 Hungerford Drive
              Rockville, Maryland, 20850
              Office Phone: +1 (301) 251-737
              Office Fax: +1 (301) 251-7379
              Mobile Phone: +1 (301) 509-3723
              mailto:mwhitcom@...

              Airports
              --------
              Served by three airports in the Washington, DC area,
              Baltimore-Washington International(BWI), Dulles International(IAD) and
              Reagan National (DCA).

              Mass Transit
              ------------
              Located just north (approximately 10 miles) of the Red Line, Shady
              Grove Metro Station. The Metro is the subway rail system serving the
              DC metro area. A shuttle service (5 mile radius) is available from
              the Hampton Inn.

              Hotel
              -----
              Hampton Inn
              20260 Goldenrod Lane
              Germantown, MD 20876
              Hotel Contact: Giulia
              Phone: +1 (301) 428-1300
              Fax: +1 (301) 428-9034
              website: http://www.hampton-inn.com/hi/germantown-gaithers
              Block: ASHRAE
              Rate: $109.00 + tax
              Location: Get maps and directions from the hotel website. The Hampton
              Inn is located on property adjacent to the Germantown Campus and is a
              5 minute walk through parking lots that adjoin the campus to the
              meeting rooms.
            • Steve Karg
              Hi Lighting Applications Working Group! I have been advised that the block of rooms at the Hampton Inn are reserved under the name Mike Whitcomb, not ASHRAE.
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 17, 2005
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi Lighting Applications Working Group!

                I have been advised that the block of rooms at the Hampton Inn are
                reserved under the name Mike Whitcomb, not ASHRAE. Give them both
                and it works just fine.

                Hampton Inn
                20260 Goldenrod Lane
                Germantown, MD 20876
                Hotel Contact: Giulia
                Phone: +1 (301) 428-1300
                Fax: +1 (301) 428-9034
                website: http://www.hampton-inn.com/hi/germantown-gaithers
                Block: Mike Whitcomb and ASHRAE
                Rate: $109.00 + tax
                Location: Get maps and directions from the hotel website. The
                Hampton Inn is located on property adjacent to the Germantown Campus
                and is a 5 minute walk through parking lots that adjoin the campus
                to the meeting rooms.

                Best Regards,

                Steve Karg
                Lithonia Lighting
              • Steve Karg
                Hi Lighting Applications Working Group! Here are the draft minutes of our meeting in Germantown, Maryland. Please post any corrections to this list:
                Message 7 of 12 , May 16 2:29 PM
                • 0 Attachment
                  Hi Lighting Applications Working Group!

                  Here are the draft minutes of our meeting in Germantown, Maryland.
                  Please post any corrections to this list:
                  mailto:BACnetLighting@yahoogroups.com

                  Steve

                  =======================

                  Meeting Minutes (DRAFT)
                  28 April 2005
                  Germantown, Maryland

                  Participants - Affiliation
                  --------------------------
                  Steve Karg - Lithonia Lighting
                  Craig Spangler - Square D
                  Robert Hick - Leviton Lighting
                  Jack Neyer - Polarsoft
                  David Fisher - Polarsoft
                  Bill Jennings - NAVFAC MIDLANT
                  Ernie Bryant - NAVFAC MIDLANT
                  Don Gottschalk - Johnson Controls
                  Pete Baselici - The WattStopper
                  Bob Johnson - Siemens Bldg. Tech.
                  Steve Treado - NIST

                  The meeting was called to order at 1pm.

                  A timekeeper (Pete Baselici) and a scribe (Robert Hicks) were assigned.
                  Don Gottschalk was volunteered to track the non-agenda items.

                  Review of minutes - approved

                  Meeting agenda approved

                  Liason Reports
                  Robert Hick reported no NEMA DALI activity since last meeting:

                  LA-WG proposal discussion:

                  DMF028-02 Famous Times
                  David Fisher reported that problems have been discovered with DMF028-02
                  and requested that we withdraw and table this proposal until we enlist
                  help from other working groups, such as the OS group. All agreed.

                  DMF030-3 WriteGroup Service
                  David Fisher presented this revision to his original proposal as a
                  partial solution to the requirement in lighting systems to change a
                  large number of values quickly.

                  Primary change was the addition of an acknowledgement mechanism and
                  supporting services. Whereas, if the sender required an acknowledgement
                  from the group members, the sender would include a REPLY REQUESTED ID.
                  The group members would be required to reply through a WriteGroupAck
                  service.

                  It was noted that control mode is similar to activating "presets" in a
                  lighting control system and that a device may have membership in
                  multiple groups. The broadcast may be sent locally, to a remote BACnet
                  network number, or using the global BACnet network address.

                  There was a question about returning error codes. It was decided that
                  error codes may be difficult to define and may be unnecessary.

                  There was discussion about why the current Command Object could not be
                  modified to accomplish the same. The conclusion was that the Command
                  Object was unsuitable.

                  There was also a question concerning how long to wait for replies. The
                  decision was to leave it unspecified and a local matter.

                  Motion to move DMF030-3 to SSPC committee, as is, was seconded and
                  passed with no opposed and one abstaining.

                  Speed of Lighting Control on the Wire.

                  Furthering the discussion from last meeting.

                  There is still a need in the lighting community for a service that would
                  allow many individual values to be set to individual levels in one
                  packet, similar to DMX512.
                  David Fisher presented his notes on a concept for a GroupWriteMultiple
                  service. David’s concept involved "slots" that may be configured in
                  each dimmer or switching device.

                  Three possible methods were described:
                  Method 1 - Typical BACnet tagged approach.
                  Method 2 - Use only one datatype, map is local matter.
                  Method 3 - Octet string, canonically encoded.

                  The third method was most efficient, but was furthest from BACnet norms.
                  It was noted that MSTP networks would limit the packet size to 480
                  bytes, so efficiency was very important. It was suggested that the
                  service needs to address at least 100 values in a packet.

                  It was also suggested that a separate priority need not be sent with
                  each value, and that 8 bit data may be sufficient for lighting control
                  but may not be sufficient for other uses.

                  Steve Karg and Robert Hick presented an example of a typical case for
                  the use of this service where a ballroom may be serviced by partial
                  number of outputs from several dimmer cabinets. The "slot" concept was
                  questioned and a more global "channel" assignment similar to DMX was
                  discussed. Whereas, each output of dimmer or switching devices would be
                  configured locally with an identifier, commonly referred to as a
                  "channel number" in the lighting community. The identifier may be
                  unique, or several outputs may have the same identifier if the outputs
                  were designed to always operate in tandem. The GroupWriteMultiple
                  service would utilize Method 3 and encode the Values as "GroupChannel,
                  Value, GroupChannel, Value, etc".

                  Further discussion resolved that both the GroupChannel and GroupValue
                  should be an unsigned 16bit. It was also decided that a single priority
                  should be included as an overall priority for the packet. Relinquish
                  would be handled as a specially encoded value such as 0xFFFF indicating null

                  David agreed to cast the new WriteGroupMultiple service and present a
                  proposal to be discussed at the next meeting. David requested email
                  discussion prior to the meeting.

                  Other needs of lighting community.

                  Steve asked what were the other needs for the lighting community. A
                  method for "Room Combining" was suggested. It was noted that the
                  mechanics of this may be kept a local matter, although there may be a
                  way of supervising using current BACnet objects and services. This may
                  be discussed in future meetings.

                  Future Meeting.

                  It was decided that the next meeting would be held in Denver, possible
                  on Sunday, June 26th , 2005. Steve will confirm the date and time
                  through email.
                • Steve Karg
                  Hi Lighting Applications Working Group! As proposed at our last meeting, next scheduled meeting of the Lighting Applications working group will be at the
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 17, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Hi Lighting Applications Working Group!

                    As proposed at our last meeting, next scheduled meeting of the Lighting
                    Applications working group will be at the Spring interim SSPC meeting,
                    which is being held at Montgomery College Germantown Campus. The
                    Lighting Applications working group will be meeting on Tuesday, April
                    24, 2007, from 1PM to 5PM. Other working groups will be meeting as
                    well. More information about the other working groups can be found at
                    the BACnet.org website:
                    http://www.bacnet.org/WG/

                    Montgomery College is served by three major international airports in
                    the Washington, DC area, Baltimore-Washington International(BWI), Dulles
                    International(IAD) and Reagan National (DCA).

                    Our host arranged a block of rooms at the nearby Hampton
                    Inn which is within easy walking distance of the meetings.

                    Hampton Inn
                    20260 Goldenrod Lane
                    Germantown, MD 20876
                    Contact: John Jordan
                    Phone: +1 (301) 428-1300
                    Fax: +1 (301) 428-9034
                    http://www.hampton-inn.com/hi/germantown-gaithers
                    Group/Convention Code: ASH
                    Rate: $109.00 + tax
                    Location: The Hampton Inn is located on property adjacent to the
                    Germantown Campus and is a 2 block walk through parking lots that adjoin
                    the campus. Maps and directions can be found on the website.

                    Meeting Schedule and Location:
                    High Technology Sciences Center (HTSC), Room 216
                    Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS), Room 007
                    Montgomery College Germantown Campus
                    20200 Observation Drive
                    Germantown, Maryland 20876
                    Contact: Mike Whitcomb, P.E.
                    Office Phone: +1 (301) 251-7375
                    http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/maps/gcamp.html

                    Monday, April 23
                    8AM-3PM HTSC 216 Applications
                    3PM-5PM HTSC 216 Internet Protocol
                    Noon-5PM HSS-007 BACnet Testing Labs

                    Tuesday, April 24
                    8AM-5PM HTSC 216 Life Safety and Security
                    1PM-3PM Life Safety and Security / Network Security joint session
                    8PM-Noon HSS-007 Testing and Interoperability
                    1PM-5PM HSS-007 Lighting Applications
                    6:30 PM Group Dinner

                    Wednesday, April 25
                    8AM-5PM HTSC 216 SSPC 135 BACnet

                    Thursday, April 26
                    8AM-10AM HTSC 216 Wireless Networking
                    10AM-11AM HTSC 216 Master-Slave/Token-Passing
                    11AM-Noon HTSC 216 XML Applications
                    1PM-3PM HTSC 216 Utility Integration
                    3PM-5PM HTSC 216 Objects and Services

                    Friday, April 27
                    8AM-Noon HTSC 216 Objects and Services

                    Please send Bill Swan <mailto:Bill.Swan@...> a courtesy e-mail
                    to let him know if you plan on attending.

                    The Lighting Applications working group Agenda will include the
                    following items:
                    1. Review DMF-032 WriteGroup service with Multiplexor object internals
                    2. Review any Addendum i public review comments
                    Please post any additional LA-WG agenda items to this list.

                    Best Regards,

                    Steve Karg
                    Lithonia Lighting
                    --
                    http://steve.kargs.net/
                  • Steve Karg
                    Hi Lighting Applications Working Group! Here are the meeting minutes from our last meeting. The meeting minutes have also been submitted to the BACnet
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 25 12:28 PM
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Hi Lighting Applications Working Group!

                      Here are the meeting minutes from our last meeting. The meeting
                      minutes have also been submitted to the BACnet committee chair as
                      LA019.doc.

                      Best Regards,

                      Steve Karg

                      --------------------------------------------
                      BACnet - Lighting Applications Working Group
                      Meeting Minutes
                      April, 24 2007
                      Germantown, Maryland

                      The minutes from the last meeting, LA018.doc, were approved without
                      changes.

                      The agenda for the meeting was modified to include a discussion of the
                      "Color" property that was recently removed from the Lighting Output
                      object.

                      There were no Liaison reports.

                      Status of unpublished work:
                      Addendum i to 135-2004 went out for public review in March. This
                      addendum defines a new Lighting Output Object. David Fisher was asked
                      about the status of the "Famous Times" feature, but the status is
                      unknown.

                      Simple Value Objects (Famous Times for Dawn and Dusk): David Fisher
                      said that he has been given a mandate [not during this meeting] to
                      write a proposal that makes almost all of the properties of the
                      "Value" objects optional, to create the opportunity for very
                      "lightweight" objects.

                      Hand-Off-Auto feature: Some of this is included in Addendum i, but
                      some people are interested in a property that indicates the H-O-A
                      switch position separately from the Present_Value. This proposal is
                      in front of the Objects and Services working group.

                      David Fisher said that there is a flaw in Addendum i related to the
                      fact that the Blink behavior does not map onto Binary Value objects
                      well because Binary Value objects are not required to have a
                      Priority_Array property. David then presented proposal DMF-019-10.doc
                      to the LA-WG meeting attendees as a solution to this problem. The
                      basis of the solution is that the Blink_Priority_Threshold property is
                      not required in non-commandable Binary Value objects. A question
                      was raised as to how this change would affect the blink behavior.
                      David answered that this is detailed in section 12.8.29.1 of
                      DMF-019-10.doc.

                      Pete stated that a local switch would typically override the off delay
                      (which is the whole point of the off delay, to give occupants the
                      chance to prevent the lights from going out), so could a sentence be
                      added about cancelling the off delay if PV becomes Active? The group
                      agreed that a sentence like the following should be added:

                      "During off delay, if PV becomes Active, off delay should be canceled
                      and the output should remain Active".

                      Pete raised the issue that the maximum ON time of manual overrides
                      should not be applicable when the area is occupied. David said that
                      this would need to be an additional feature. Pete said that the same
                      end result could be accomplished by "sweeping" areas with an OFF
                      command at regular intervals during unoccupied times, and this seemed
                      to satisfy the application requirements without requiring changes to
                      the proposal.

                      The discussion returned to the changes proposed related to the blink
                      feature and non-commandable BV objects. Did the group want to submit
                      this as a change to the standard AFTER Addendum i is approved, or
                      should this be submitted as a comment to Addendum i during the public
                      review period to get the changes incorporated before Addendum i is
                      approved for publication? The general consensus was that it would be
                      better to submit a comment during the public review to get Addendum i
                      modified before publication. David Fisher agreed to submit this
                      comment to ASHRAE as part of the Addendum i public review.

                      New issue. Steve asked "What is returned by ReadProperty when reading
                      the Lighting_Command property? What if Lighting_Command has never
                      been commanded, i.e. what is its initial value?" The group decided
                      that when Lighting_Command is read by ReadProperty, it should return
                      the value last commanded and the command parameters, or STOP if it has
                      never been commanded.

                      Steve suggested that the sentence prior to Table 12-Z in Addendum i
                      needed to be reworded. The group agreed on the following change to
                      that sentence:

                      "Optional fields of the BACnetLightingOperation value that are
                      allowable as indicated by table 12-Z for each operation are shown in
                      bold." David Fisher agreed to submit Steve's comment to ASHRAE as part
                      of the Addendum i public review.

                      Review of proposal DMF-043-1:
                      David Fisher explained that the objective of this proposal is to take
                      Steve Karg's original Multiplexer object and cast it as a Channel
                      object. This fixes a problem with the original idea of the "Channel"
                      command: no network visibility. Writing the PV of the Channel object
                      causes writes to all objects in the List_Of_Object_Property_References
                      at the same priority. The Channel object can also coerce the data
                      between different datatypes. The Channel object itself is not
                      commandable but the command priority is passed down to the target
                      objects. The Channel object's instance number is the same as the
                      channel number.

                      There was a lengthy discussion about the need for a channel number
                      that is independent of the channel object Object_Identifier. David
                      Fisher proposed that a property be added to the Device object to
                      indicate which control groups it belongs to. Bob said that he wanted
                      each application to have its own group association, and that group
                      association should not be tied to the hardware which is what would
                      happen if the list of control groups was a property of the Device
                      object.

                      It was noted that since the proposed Write Group service is
                      unconfirmed by design so that it can be used as a sort of multicast,
                      there is no way to verify whether a Device is responding to Write
                      Group or not.

                      After the lengthy discussion of various uses of Channels and Groups in
                      lighting applications, a vote was taken on the following: "Should
                      Channel number be decoupled from the Channel Object instance number?"
                      The result of the vote was 5 to 1 in favor of decoupling.

                      David explained that the Transition Time service parameter was removed
                      from the Write Group service because the concept of transition time is
                      not easy to apply to all of the objects that could be in the
                      List_Of_Object_Property_References.

                      Steve suggested the idea of a randomized command delay, to prevent
                      power surges. After some discussion, the group agreed to the
                      following proposal: Write Group has a delayed execution flag, but the
                      amount to delay is a local matter. David Fisher will incorporate this
                      into the next revision of DMF-043.

                      Bob asked a couple of questions:
                      Q:"Does Write Group have to be sent as a broadcast?"
                      A: "No, it can be unicast".

                      Q:"Can it be confirmed?".
                      A: "No."

                      Discussion of the Color property:

                      David Fisher explained that the Color property originally had 2 purposes:
                      1.Indication of fixed color lights, like lights with filters,
                      2.controllable color, like RGB LEDs.

                      Some of the problems that arose:
                      1.BACnet needed a new datatype for RGB values.
                      2.It would be nice if the Lighting Output indicated support for
                      commandable color.
                      3.Multiple commandable properties in the same object is a problem.
                      4.Min and Max level don't apply well to color.

                      For these reasons, David thought it might be better to create a
                      different Lighting Output specifically intended for color lights,
                      complete with new services such as Ramp to Color, Go to Color, and
                      Step Color (no - stepping color doesn't make sense).

                      So the question is, do we want a separate object for color lights?
                      The group decided that this was the right direction, but that we
                      should also include support for other advanced lighting control
                      features that are beyond the capabilities of the greyscale Lighting
                      Output object, such as those used in theatrical lighting like pan,
                      zoom, and tilt. David also would like to collect input on which color
                      space we should use. RGB24 would be simple, but is it adequate?
                      Steve Karg to provide David Fisher with a list of theatrical lighting
                      features and properties. David Fisher to create a proposal based on
                      the input he receives.

                      Next Meeting
                      ------------
                      The next meeting of the LA-WG will be in Long Beach, CA, on Sunday,
                      June 24, 2007, from 8:30am to noon in the Long Beach Convention
                      Center, Seaside Section, Room 306A.

                      Thank you to Mike Danner for taking meeting notes, to Coleman Brumley
                      for keeping time, and David Fisher for keeping track of non-agenda items.

                      Attendees
                      ---------
                      Note: The list of attendees is probably not correct as I created it
                      from memory. I seemed to have misplaced the sign in sheet during my
                      recent change in employers from Lithonia Lighting to The Wattstopper.
                      Any error or omissions are unintended and corrections are welcome. -
                      Steve

                      Name, Organization
                      ------------------
                      David Fisher, Polarsoft
                      Coleman Brumley, Polarsoft
                      Pete Baselici, The WattStopper
                      Steve Karg, Lithonia Lighting
                      Bob Johnson, Siemens Building Technology
                      Steve Treado, NIST
                      Mike Danner, Automated Logic
                      Dave Robin, Automated Logic
                      Rolf Hunt, Automated Logic
                    • Steve Karg
                      Hello Lighting Applications working group! As suggested in our last meeting, our next scheduled meeting will be at the interim SSPC meeting, which is being
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 18, 2008
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Hello Lighting Applications working group!

                        As suggested in our last meeting, our next scheduled meeting will be
                        at the interim SSPC meeting, which is being held at Montgomery College
                        Germantown Campus.

                        The Lighting Applications working group meeting is scheduled during
                        the morning for two days (8am-noon) on Monday, April 21, 2008 and
                        Tuesday, April 22, 2008, in room HS-007.

                        Our major agenda items include:
                        1. Discuss Color and associated properties for lighting. What needs to
                        be included in an object or profile for BACnet interoperabilty?
                        Specifications for the Chromaticity of Solid
                        State Lighting Products developed by ANSI may apply:
                        http://www.nema.org/stds/ANSI-ANSLG-C78-377.cfm

                        2. Discuss Addendum H clause H.X "Using BACnet with DALI"

                        3. Lighting Application BIBB? 135.1 Testing additions?

                        See you there!

                        Steve
                        ====================================
                        ASHRAE SSPC 135 BACnet Interim Meeting
                        April 21 - April 25, 2008

                        Location:
                        Montgomery College Germantown Campus
                        20200 Observation Drive
                        Germantown, Maryland 20876

                        Building:
                        High Technology Sciences Center (HT)
                        Humanities and Social Sciences Building (HS) (cafeteria)
                        http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/maps/gcamp.html

                        Directions:
                        http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/
                        Look under information for: visitors and community: maps & directions:
                        Germantown campus. They are located just Northwest of Washington, DC,
                        directly off of Interstate I-270 North, not far from the National
                        Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).

                        Parking:
                        Park in any white line space.

                        Contact:
                        Mike Whitcomb, P.E.
                        Mike Whitcomb, P.E.
                        Energy Manager
                        Montgomery College
                        40 West Gude Drive, Suite 200
                        Rockville, Maryland, 20850
                        Office Phone: +1 (240) 567-7375
                        Mobile Phone: +1 (301) 509-3723
                        mailto:mike.whitcomb@...

                        Airports:
                        Montgomery College is served by the three major airports in the
                        Washington, DC area:
                        Baltimore-Washington International(BWI)
                        Dulles International(IAD)
                        Reagan National(DCA)

                        Metro:
                        Montgomery College is located just North(approximately 10 miles) of
                        the Red Line, Shady Grove Metro Station. The Metro is the subway rail
                        system serving the DC metro area. A shuttle service is available from
                        the Hampton Inn. Taxi service is also available.

                        Hotel:
                        Hampton Inn Germantown
                        20260 Goldenrod Lane
                        Germantown, MD 20876
                        Contact: Elijah Hammonds
                        Phone: +1 (301) 428-1300
                        Fax: +1 (301) 428-2870
                        http://www.hampton-inn.com/hi/germantown-gaithers
                        Block: ASHRAE Rate: $115.00 + tax
                        Location: Get maps and directions from website. The Hampton Inn is
                        located on property adjacent to our Germantown Campus and is a 2 block
                        walk through parking lots that adjoin the campus.

                        Booking online (please note: the Group Code does not appear to work –
                        call the hotel):
                        1) Log onto www.hamptoninngermantown.com and click on the upper right
                        hand corner in the box labeled "Book Now!"
                        2) Click on link that reads, "Need to Book Multiple Group Reservations?"
                        3) Type in dates of stay and room preference and then scroll down to
                        Special Accounts and enter ASHRAE in the Group/Convention Box and
                        click "continue."
                        4) Your rates (both for standards and suites) will appear and you can
                        continue with the reservation as normal

                        Meeting Schedule
                        --------------------------
                        Monday April 21
                        BTL WG (HT216 8am-noon)
                        LA-WG (HS-007 8am-noon)
                        Lunch (noon-1pm)
                        TI-WG (HT216 1pm-5pm)
                        AP-WG (HS-007 1pm-5pm)

                        Tuesday April 22
                        XML WG (HT216 8am-noon)
                        LA-WG (HS-007 8am-noon)
                        Lunch (noon-1pm)
                        MSTP-WG (HT216 1pm-3pm)
                        IP-WG (HT216 3pm-5pm)
                        AP-WG (HS-007 1pm-5pm)

                        Wednesday April 23
                        SSPC-135 (HT216 8am-noon)
                        Lunch (noon-1pm)
                        SSPC-135 (HT216 1pm-5pm)

                        Thursday April 24
                        OS WG (HT216 8am-noon)
                        LSS-WG (HS-007 8am-noon)
                        Lunch (noon-1pm)
                        NS/LSS-WG (HT216 1pm-3pm)
                        NS-WG (HT216 3pm-5pm)
                        WN-WG (HS-007 1pm-3pm)
                        UI-WG (HS-007 3pm-5pm)

                        Friday April 25
                        OS WG (HT216 8am-noon)
                        --
                        http://steve.kargs.net/
                      • Steve Karg
                        Hello Lighting Applications Working Group! We met in Germantown for two days, and had some fantastic discussion. Appended are the meeting minutes, which are
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 17, 2008
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Hello Lighting Applications Working Group!

                          We met in Germantown for two days, and had some fantastic discussion.
                          Appended are the meeting minutes, which are also in the LA023.doc file
                          which has been uploaded to the BACnet FTP server.

                          Best Regards,

                          Steve
                          ===============
                          1.Opening remarks – by Steve Karg (8:30AM)
                          2.Circulation of attendance sheet, and introduction of those present
                          Name, Affiliation
                          David Fisher, Polarsoft
                          Coleman Brumley, Polarsoft
                          Steve Karg, The Watt Stopper
                          Robert Hick, Leviton
                          Duane King, Acuity Brands Lighting
                          Dana Peterson, Johnson Controls
                          Christoph Zeller, Sauter
                          David Ritter, Delta Controls

                          3.Meeting role assignments
                          time keeper - David Fisher
                          scribe - Robert Hick, Steve Karg
                          non-agenda item attendant - Coleman
                          4.Approval of the minutes from the previous meeting.
                          5.Discussion and approval of the agenda for this meeting.
                          6.Liaison updates (NEMA, IESNA, DALI)

                          Robert Hick reported on progress of NEMA 243 DALI protocol standard
                          and harmonization with IEC 602386 DALI protocol standard. Hope was to
                          have a final draft for IEC voting by summer.

                          7.Status of SSPC-135-2004 Addendum i PPR2

                          PPR2 ends on May 9. Steve Karg submitted one comment due to initial
                          PPR2 document not matching the draft submitted. Current PPR2 document
                          matches the draft, and the public review period was extended. Steve's
                          comment is now mute.

                          8.LA-WG proposal discussion / resolution via consensus

                          DMF-051-1: Color Lighting Object

                          David Fisher presented DMF-051-1 and a discussion ensued.
                          DMF-051-1 proposed a new color object with separate properties for
                          control of fading and luminance.

                          There was another proposal that color should be merged into the
                          current lighting object since it already has the Luminance properties
                          built in.

                          David Ritter also suggested that we should reference the color object
                          with the light object instead.

                          After much discussion there was a consensus to add color functionality
                          to the existing light object. David F agreed to create a proposal to
                          amend the Light object to incorporate the color properties and
                          commands.

                          There was also discussion on how to best define color?

                          It was noted that there were several ways to define color.
                          RGB values – used in entertainment lighting and combines luminance
                          CIE xy coordinates – Precise color only, used to define LED's
                          Color Temperature Tc– Used to define white light – warm to cool

                          After much discussion, it was determined that all three methods have
                          specific benefits for different applications of color in lighting.
                          There was a consensus to use the Lighting Command to command the color
                          in any of the 3 different ways. David F suggested that the xy
                          coordinates be expressed in integers.

                          Another issue discussed was how to present the current color value and
                          should the device only present the color method being used or be
                          required to calculate values for all methods.

                          David Ritter also expressed a need for a light weight object for
                          lighting control. There was a brief discussion about adding Color to
                          BO, however it was decided that color would rarely be used with Binary
                          devices. The subject of the need for Blink Warn in the BO resurfaced
                          and the group is considering reviving the past proposal.

                          References in Clause 25:
                          CIE 13.3
                          ANSI, NEMA ASNL6C78-377-2008

                          Discussion of Delta Comments on SSPC 135-2004 Addendum i PPR2

                          David Ritter and his team at Delta Controls reviewed Addendum I and
                          provided a number of comments that were submitted to the Lighting
                          Applications working group and discussed. Concern was raised that the
                          time it takes for PPR to happen would delay the publication at least
                          another year.

                          1. In_Process property should be a required property since the
                          lighting command property is required and its purpose is to show the
                          progress of the lighting command.
                          Discussion: There are no objections from the working group to making
                          In_Process a required property, except that this comment on its own
                          should not be cause to have a PPR3. This would be a substantive
                          comment.
                          2. In the Lighting_Command property the sentence "..the write shall
                          fail and a Result(-) with an error class of PROPERTY and a error class
                          of OPTIONAL_FUNCTIONALITY_NOT_SUPPORTY." the second "error class"
                          should be "error code".
                          Discussion: This item is an erratta.
                          3. In the Lighting_Command property should there be a subset of
                          operations which are required to be supported?
                          Can a device not support any lighting command operations? If a device
                          is not required to support any operations the sentence "Devices are
                          not required to support all BACnetLightingOperations" should be
                          changed to "Devices are not required to support any
                          BACnetLightingOperations".
                          Discussion: The working group agreed that it was assumed to be at
                          least one command. STOP, GOTO_LEVEL, and RELINQUISH should be
                          required. Seems that this potential ambiguity could eventually receive
                          an interpretation request and we should address it now. It would be
                          substantive.
                          Can vendors extend the Lighting_Command enumeration? Working group
                          decided that extending the enumeration for vendors would be okay, and
                          agreed that the values be 16-bit, 0-255 reserved for ASHRAE. This may
                          promote non-interoperability, however.
                          4. In the Lighting_Command property there are 6 different ramp
                          commands defined. This is an excessive number of similar commands. The
                          commands can be reduced to two choices:
                          RAMP_TO
                          RAMP_TO_AT_RATE
                          The other 4 commands can easily be achieved by these two commands.
                          Discussion: While it may be better to be simpler, the Addendum is not
                          unclear by having them. However, it may result in more
                          interoperability problems having more choices. Simplifying the number
                          of commands would be a substantive change.
                          5. In the Lighting_Command property the commands RAMP_UP and RAMP_DOWN
                          should be changed to RAMP_MAX and RAMP_MIN respectively to better
                          denote the function of the commands.
                          Discussion: If we accept #4 comment to simplify, then this comment is
                          mute. Yes, these may be better names. The change would be
                          substantive.
                          6. The Blink_Time property should be changed to tenths of a second
                          rather than hundredths. Specifying a blink time in hundredths of a
                          second is excessive.
                          Discussion: The only sub-seconds defines in BACnet are currently
                          milliseconds or hundredths or REAL seconds. Adds complexity for
                          clients to have an additional time conversion. Should use milliseconds
                          to be SI compliant, but resolution a local matter. Blink is probably
                          only visible if it is longer than 50ms, so tenths of seconds may be
                          not enough resolution. The change to milliseconds would be
                          substantive.
                          7. There is a type inconsistency among the properties that specify
                          time duration. Some properties specify the duration in seconds as a
                          REAL (Lighting_Command.fade-time, Fade_Time, Off_Delay, On_Delay)
                          while other specify the duration in seconds as an Unsigned
                          (Lighting_Command.Duration, Elaspsed_Active_Time). It would be
                          preferable to have a consistent measure and unit of duration
                          throughout the object type.
                          Discussion: The non-REAL are consistent with other objects similar
                          properties. The REAL were changed from non-REAL during SSPC and
                          working group discussion prior to PPR1.
                          8. On_Delay/Off_Delay property should specify that the value cannot
                          take on negative values. It should specify what error code to return
                          if an invalid value is attempted to be written.
                          Discussion: Time values in this object should never be negative.
                          Should we specify this as affecting all time properties in this
                          object? Which Error class/code?
                          9. The property name "Off_Delay" should be changed to "Blink Warn
                          Delay" as it is only used when a blink warning is in effect.
                          Discussion: Permits Off_Delay when Blink_Time is zero - see
                          Blink_Time. Perhaps some language is needed to define this ability
                          clearly. Perhaps a diagram would be useful - see David's white paper.
                          Note that most of the diagrams from David Fisher's white paper would
                          be useful in this object.
                          On_Delay does not utilize a priority threshold, and this behavior
                          seems to be an omission. Perhaps use Blink Priority Threshold, but
                          change the name to Delay_Priority_Threshold.
                          10. The order of properties in the property descriptions should match
                          the order given in the table (i.e., Profile Name should be last).
                          Discussion: editorial
                          11. Power should be specified in watts not kilowatts as most lighting
                          fixtures would be significantly less than 1 kilowatt. The value may
                          also be changed to Unsigned from REAL.
                          Discussion: The Power units and datatype are consistent with Load
                          Control object Full_Duty_Baseline property. Perhaps the Power
                          property name should be changed to be consistent with the Load Control
                          object property.
                          12. The Power property would be more useful for load shedding if it
                          was the instantaneous power consumption rather than maximum power
                          consumption.
                          Discussion: It might make it more useful, but it doesn't make it
                          invalid or bad by keeping it the way it is. We could add another
                          property.
                          13. The Binary_Active_Value, Binary_Inactive_Value and Polarity
                          properties should be removed from this object.
                          13a. Adding these properties adds significant confusion to the object
                          as it is unclear whether the object is an analog or binary lighting
                          object. It would be much more clear to have different objects for
                          binary and analog lighting.
                          13b. If these optional properties are in the object then the object
                          must behave as a binary lighting object. For manufacturers who have
                          static object definitions per device this is a problem as it means
                          that you cannot controller both analog and binary lights from a single
                          device.
                          Discussion: The language seems to prescribe the behavior even in the
                          case of analog lighting. What of the case of a dimmer which includes a
                          relay and could be used in either case? Change the language? The
                          functionality is necessary - whether it is necessary to expose and
                          define it is really the question. Should this functionality be moved
                          to a Binary Lighting object, or just add blink warn into Binary Output
                          as in Addendum i PPR1?
                          14. In the Elapsed_Active_Time property the statement "…that the
                          Present_Value has been ACTIVE since this property was most recently
                          set to a zero value" should be replaced with "…that the Present_Value
                          has been ACTIVE. This value is reset when a value of zero is written
                          to this property.". As it is written there may be confusion concerning
                          whether "this property" refers to the Present_Value property or the
                          Elapsed_Time_Property.
                          Discussion: Perhaps the language should be more clear and refer to
                          Present_Value by name.
                          15. Property descriptions of 12.x.22 – 12.x.26 should state "This
                          optional property…" to be consistent with the property table.
                          Discussion: yes, the table is correct.
                          16. The Min_Pres_Value property should have a value range of 0...100
                          rather than 1...100. What is the reasoning for restricting it to
                          non-zero values? The default for this should be 0.
                          Discussion: Minimum on value cannot be zero - but why? The default
                          value is currently undefined when this property is present. Is there a
                          use case for 0? Yes, it could be 0 if the property is present but the
                          functionality is not used. Perhaps 0 should be default, and allowed.
                          17. The Max_Pres_Value property should value a value range of 0...100.
                          The default value should be 100.
                          Discussion: The default value is currently undefined when this
                          property is present. Why is the range not using the full range? Is
                          there a use case for 100? Yes, it could be 100 if the property is
                          present but the functionality is not used. Perhaps 100 should be
                          default, and allowed.
                          Are Max_Pres_Value and Min_Pres_Value both really required to be
                          present? No, it seems they are not coupled, and there could be a use
                          case for having one and not the other. Are they really required to be
                          writable? There seem to be cases where it might be desirable to have
                          this property Read-Only when limiting outside applications.
                          18. The Power_On_Value and System_Failure_Value properties are
                          problematic because both are only used in the special case when
                          communication to a remote lighting device, which is being controlled
                          by this object, is lost. Neither of these properties has anything to
                          do with the functionality of this object and should be considered to
                          be outside of the scope of BACnet.
                          Discussion: We received PPR1 and comments from vendors who want to use
                          these in non-DALI remote systems, along with pre-PPR1 comments that
                          desired these properties to adequately model their DALI systems via
                          BACnet. Removing the DALI like properties would disenfranchise these
                          vendors.
                          18a. When communication is lost to the remote device should the object
                          take on the System_Failure_Value value? If so, at what priority should
                          it be written at in the priority array?
                          Discussion: These values are used as configuration values that the
                          output device uses before it sets the value from the Priority_Array)
                          In addition, Power_On_Value is confusing because its name implies that
                          this is the value the object will take on when the device starts up.
                          Discussion: The name is derived from the DALI property of the same name)
                          BACnet does not specify what the values of the Priority_Array are
                          after a power failure, and these values might be useful in that case
                          (for example, when Out of Service is TRUE and non-volatile). We could
                          also define a value that gets written to Priority_Array (at a specific
                          priority) upon power up when the Priority_Array is volatile. This
                          property might or might not be this property.

                          Discuss Addendum H clause H.X "Using BACnet with DALI"
                          Robert agreed to continue working towards providing a draft later in the year.

                          Lighting Application BIBB? 135.1 Testing additions?
                          This discussion was tabled until next meeting.

                          9.Discussion of Non-Agenda Items
                          10.Schedule for future meetings.
                          The group plans to meet at the next SSPC meeting in Salt Lake City in
                          June, 2008. The date and time of the meeting will be determined at a
                          later date.
                          11.Adjournment

                          Meeting minutes respectfully submitted by Robert Hick. Edits by Steve Karg.
                          --
                          http://steve.kargs.net/
                        • Steve Karg
                          Hi Lighting Applications Working Group! As proposed at our last meeting, the next scheduled meeting of the Lighting Applications working group will be at the
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Hi Lighting Applications Working Group!

                            As proposed at our last meeting, the next scheduled meeting of the
                            Lighting Applications working group will be at the Spring interim SSPC
                            meeting, which is being held at Montgomery College Germantown Campus
                            from May 10, 2010, through May 14, 2010. The Lighting Applications
                            working group will be meeting on Monday, May 10, 2010, from 1pm to 5pm
                            in GB105, and Tuesday, May 11, 2010, from 8am to 10am in GB106. Other
                            working groups will be meeting during the week as well, and SSPC 135
                            BACnet will meet on Thursday and Friday, May 13-14, 2010, in GB105.

                            The Lighting Applications working group Agenda will include the following items:
                            1. SSPC-135-2008 Addendum i PPR4 comment responses.
                            2. Discuss Annex H clause H.X "Using BACnet with DALI"
                            3. Discuss BACnet Schedule for Dawn Dusk (removed from 2008 Addendum W)
                            4. IESNA Computer Committee XML standard for photosensors - BACnet
                            applicability?
                            5. Discuss Lighting Application BIBB and 135.1 Testing additions.

                            Please post any additional Lighting Application working group agenda
                            items to this mailing list.

                            Best Regards,

                            Steve Karg
                            Lithonia Lighting
                            --
                            Montgomery College is served by three major international airports in
                            the Washington, DC area, Baltimore-Washington International(BWI),
                            Dulles International(IAD) and Reagan National (DCA).

                            Our host arranged a block of rooms at the nearby Hampton Inn which is
                            within easy walking distance of the meetings.

                            Hampton Inn
                            20260 Goldenrod Lane
                            Germantown, MD 20876
                            Contact: Richard Petras, General Manager, e-mail: GermantownDOS@...
                            Phone: +1 (301) 428-1300
                            Fax: +1 (301) 428-9034
                            www.hamptoninngermantown.com
                            Group/Convention Code: ASH
                            Rate: $117.00 + tax (May 8, 2010 -May 16, 2009)
                            Location: The Hampton Inn is located on property adjacent to the
                            Germantown Campus and is a 2 block walk through parking lots that adjoin
                            the campus. Maps and directions can be found on the website.

                            Meeting Location:
                            Goldenrod Building (GB), Rooms GB105 & GB106
                            Goldenrod Lane
                            Germantown, Maryland 20876
                            Note: Goldenrod Building is across the street from the Hampton Inn on
                            Goldenrod Drive.
                            Contact: Mike Whitcomb, P.E.
                            Office Phone: Office Phone: +1 (240) 567-7375, Mobile Phone: +1 (301) 509-3723
                            e-mail: mike.whitcomb@...
                            http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/maps/gcamp.html
                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.