MS/TP Support

  • David Fisher
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2011

      LA-WG members,

      I have had some correspondence recently with Grant Wichenko from Appin Associates in Winnipeg.

      As some of you may know, Grant is an SSPC participant and consultant with specialization in

      BACnet. He has made some statements that run counter to my perception of the Lighting industry

      in North America. I quote him directly:

      1. “…This will become a bigger problem as all lighting vendors are dropping MS/TP.”

      2. “…Who else besides Wattstopper and Blue Ridge uses MS/TP for lighting?  nLight, Fifth,

            Daintree, Leviton, Lutron, Douglas do not.  ”

      While some lighting vendors continue to use and support proprietary protocols, I have had

      the impression during our seven years as a working group that the interest in, and support

      for MS/TP, was a key aspect of lighting vendor’s participation in BACnet and the LA-WG.

      Certainly many of our debates, for example over the need for compressed representation

      of values in WriteGroup service, and the service itself, as well as the introduction of 115K

      for MS/TP, have all been driven by supposed “lighting industry need.” So it comes as a

      surprise to me that there is a perception that lighting vendors essentially only want to use

      BACnet/IP and everything downstream of their controllers would be and remain

      proprietary.

      Besides being different from my (possibly flawed) perception, this doctrine would seem to

      run counter to what many owners and specifiers are saying to me all the time which is that

      they are becoming less and less tolerant of proprietary solutions.

      So which perspective accurately reflects where the lighting industry is, and where it is going?

      I’d like to hear from the LA-WG at least on these points.

      David Fisher

      PolarSoft® Inc.

      914 South Aiken Ave

      Pittsburgh PA 15232-2212