Lighting Technology Roadmap

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2002
      Greetings!

      I attended a workshop on Tuesday, 17 September 2002 sponsored by the
      U.S. Department of Energy in Washington, D.C. I was representing the
      BACnet Lighting Applications working group, so I thought it would be
      appropriate to post the material that I presented.

      Agenda
      --------------------------
      Lighting Technology Roadmap
      Lighting Controls Submap
      U.S. Department of Energy
      Building Technologies Program

      Welcome
      Introductions

      Overview Presentations: Challenges, Opportunities and Updates on the
      current state of lighting controls
      * Mark Rea, Lighting Research Center, R.P.I.
      * Steve Karg, Lithonia Lighting
      * Steve Purdy, Tridonics
      * Francis Rubenstein, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
      How much can these approaches coexist, interact, or serve a broader
      purpose?

      Discussion: What are the largest obstacles to greatly expanding the
      use of lighting controls? (Biggest needs to address?) What are the
      greatest opportunities? (Best place to put research funding?)

      Discussion: Can the industry develop a set of common goals related to
      lighting controls? Does the industry have enough of a shared interest
      to work together?

      Discussion: What are the most important things to initiate now?
      (Research agenda?)

      Summary of workshop results
      * identify/recap action items and next steps
      * closing remarks

      Adjourn

      I will follow up with more details when the summary is published
      (possibly in a week or so).

      See you on Monday!

      Steve Karg
      Senior Engineer