IES-NA Meeting

  • Karg, Steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2002
      IES-NA Meeting

      Hi Group!

      Some of us met at the IES-NA Controls Protocols Committee meeting at LightFair2002 in San Francisco, California, on Tuesday, June 4, 2002, at 1:30pm.  Meeting minutes, attendees, etc. will be handled by the IES-NA Controls Protocol committee, but I wanted to send a brief note to this forum.

      During the meeting, BACnet and lighting was discussed.  The proposals that David Ritter and I had worked on seemed to be digestible for the BACnet group, but too much BACnet-ese for the IES-NA group to be able to review them adequately.  Paul Ericson suggested that we produce a document "Using BACnet in Lighting Applications" so that the lighting people could review our proposals with some understanding.  I volunteered to take on the task of writing up this document.

      Another issue that was discussed was how DALI competed with BACnet.  DALI was deemed to be the bottom tier, and BACnet was the upper tiers of a building network.  However, I mentioned that BACnet could also be used down to the ballast or light switch, for example, pending economic feasibility.  David Ritter mentioned that BACnet was used in thermostats produced by Delta Controls.  Hopefully these kinds of details can be incorporated into the usage document.

      After the meeting, most of the attendees went to a presentation about DALI.

      David Ritter and I discussed meeting in person again, perhaps in August (at IES-NA Conference in Utah) or in September (post ASIS annual seminar in Pennsylvania or D.C.).  We also agreed to continue working on proposals that will enable lighting applications to interoperate using BACnet.

      All for now,

      Steve Karg
      Senior Engineer
      Electronic Systems Group
      Lithonia Lighting
      Decatur, Georgia, USA

      P.S. If you were at the meeting, and noticed that I missed noting something important or mis-spoke about something that was said, please let me (or this forum) know.  Thanks!