Canceling a blink warn using the STOP command?

  • David Ritter
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10, 2011

      Hi All,

      I have a question about cancelling a current lighting command that is in progress. If a ramp or fade is in progress and a new command or value is written to the priority array at a higher value then the ramp or fade is stopped where it is (when it is written at the same priority the current command just gets overwritten). This is also true when a stop command is written at that priority.

      The question comes in when we have a warn relinquish or warn off command in progress. If a new command or value is written at a higher priority then we basically expire the timer and complete the command (either by writing 0.0 or relinquishing). What about the stop command? For the sake of simplicity I have extended the stop command to cancel a warn off and warn relinquish command just as writing a higher priority command would do.

      To this end, I have added the following text to the lighting command:

      12.X.6.1 Cancelling Lighting Commands

      Some lighting commands (i.e., RAMP_TO, FADE_TO, WARN_RELINQUISH and WARN_OFF) are executed over a period of time. While a lighting command, at a specific priority, is in progress it shall cancelled under the following conditions:

      (a)    A valid command, other than STOP, is written to the Lighting Command property at a higher priority than the command in progress, or

      (b)   A STOP command is written to the Lighting Command at the same priority as the command in progress, or

      (c)    The Present_Value is written at a higher priority than the command in progress.

      When a RAMP_TO or FADE_TO command is cancelled the internal ramp or fade algorithm is halted and the current value of Tracking_Value is written to that slot in the priority array.

      When a WARN_RELINQUISH command is cancelled, the blink warn delay is immediately expired and the corresponding value of the priority array is relinquished. When a WARN_OFF command is cancelled, the blink warn delay is immediately expired and the value 0.0 is written to the priority array at the specified priority.

      There may only be one lighting command currently in progress at any time.

      Comments??

      David

    • Leinen, Rick
      Message 2 of 7 , May 10, 2011

        Since writing a command or Present_Value at the same priority level also cancels the previous command shouldn’t it be added to your list?

        I’m ok with the STOP command essentially defeating the egress time of the BW, but is there a way of cancelling the egress timer?  In other words, a BW is started, but then for some reason we want to cancel it and leave the light levels where they are.

        Rick Leinen
        Engineering Manager, R&D Projects

        T: 503 404-5561

        F: 503 404-5661
        C: 503 860-6305
        rleinen@...

        Leviton Mfg. Co.
        20497 SW Teton Avenue
        Tualatin, OR 97062
        www.leviton.com

        Message 3 of 7 , May 11, 2011

          Thanks for the input Rick.

          Glenn had essentially the same comment regarding cancelling the egress timer. Would it work for the STOP command to actually stop the egress timer and in a blink warn situation and leave the lights at the current level? This would mean that there is a difference between cancelling a command by writing a higher priority command and cancelling the command using the STOP command but that maybe acceptable.

          David

          Message 4 of 7 , May 11, 2011

            I actually like the idea of using STOP at the same priority level to cancel the BW and leave the lights at the current level.  It’s similar to stopping a fade.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 11, 2011

              Agreed. I am going to incorporate this idea into the draft.

              Message 6 of 7 , May 11, 2011
                I agree that using the Stop command would be more consistent to leave it in the current state and cancel the timer.

                I'm not sure there is a need for a command which will cause the action to do what would happen at the end of the blink warn time (essentially reducing the timer to zero).

                Glenn

                Message 7 of 7 , May 12, 2011

                  I agree, just send a relinquish or fade to zero to expire the BW to completion target.