Specification for FADE/RAMP parameters

  • Christoph Zeller
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 16, 2011
      Hi guys,
      i was checking the dali-standard
      Given the fact that DALI does most of the applications in Lighting I assume that similar ranges would be sufficient for 99% of the jobs.

      FADE-TIME:
      Range is 0.7 to 90.5 seconds
      => therefore in BACnet 0.5 to 100 seconds with a resolution of 0.1s should be enough.

      RAMP-RATE (Dali calls it FADE Rate)
      Range is 2.8 to 358 steps/second
      if we round that to 1 to 100 I get:
      Range 1.1 to 140
      => I guess 1 to 140 with a resolution of 1 should be enough.

      Problem:
      If a BACnet to DALI gateway is implemented:
      Is it accurate enough to choose the closest DALI-FADE time?
      for example:
      in BACnet we specify 52s

      is it ok if such a gateway is using either 45.3s or 64s?
      These are the closest FADE-Times dali offers

      or

      do we mandate that such a Gateway will have to make shure, that the FADE-time really is 52s (+- 0.1s perhaps?)

      PS:
      If have not checked wheather such close tolerances are possible (in bussystems this might not be possible because of bandwith limitations when more than one fade should be executed simulatenously)

      regards Christoph

      Christoph Zeller
      Abt. NT
      Fr. Sauter AG
      Im Surinam 55, CH-4016 Basel
      Telefon +41 (0)61 695 55 55
      Telefax +41 (0)61 695 56 19
      http://www.sauter-controls.com

      DISCLAIMER:
      This communication, and the information it contains is for the sole use of
      the intended recipient. It is confidential, may be legally privileged and
      protected by law. Unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of any part
      thereof may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error,
      please destroy all copies and kindly notify the sender.

      Before printing out this e-mail or its attachments, please consider whether
      it is really necessary to do so.
      Using less paper helps the environment.

    • Isler, Bernhard
      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 19, 2011
        Christoph,

        Can you elaborate a bit on the intent of this proposal, and what the simplification is against what is in addendum 135-2010i?

        Thanks,
        Bernhard

        Bernhard Isler
        Siemens Switzerland Ltd