Lighting Group Direction

  • Karg, Steve
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 22 6:35 AM
      Hi Group!

      Steve Treado (N.I.S.T.) and I met at the ASHRAE convention in Atlantic City
      this past January, and discussed some things that we would like to see the
      Lighting Application Working Group do. We also had some discussion with
      Steve Bushby (N.I.S.T.) about the direction the group needs to go to
      accomplish some things.

      After these meetings, I also met with Keith Corbett (Cimetrics) and Carl
      Neilson (Delta Controls) individually to discuss the BACnet feasibility of
      some of the ideas (multiplexing object, lighting command property). I also
      met with Brian Dutt (Delta Controls), Doug Paton (the Watt Stopper), and
      John Bagwell (Tria-tek) individually to discuss ideas about the lighting
      control group direction.

      Here are some of the BACnet objects, services, and properties that this
      group needs to define. Some of the items could be implemented with existing
      BACnet functionality. Those would need a document describing how to use the
      existing functionality to accomplish the use case. The rest would require a
      proposal document.

      ---

      Groups/Zones - Multiplexing Object - modeled similar to the existing group
      object

      Scene Object - Command Object (existing BACnet functionality)

      Schedule - Handling of Dawn/Dusk (and perhaps twilight, civil twilight).

      Lighting Command property - handles level, fade time, warntime, timeout,
      blink and priority in one property.

      Relinquish Default = OFF.

      Daylight Harvesting - Loop Object (existing BACnet functionality)

      Room Assignment and Partitions - ?

      Multiplexing Switch - MultiState Input Object and Command Object (existing
      BACnet functionality)

      Lighting Object (Binary and/or Analog) - modeled after the properties in the
      ESI Address Pro protocol and the DALI protocol.

      ---

      Steve Bushby suggested that a couple of core folks take on the task of
      creating these definition documents, and submitting them to the whole
      lighting applications group for debate and consensus. After consensus is
      reached, then the documents can be submitted to the BACnet committee for
      standard consideration.

      Are there any objections to this approach?

      I am willing to work on the Multiplexing Object and the Lighting Command
      property, since I have a little experience with both. Of course, your input
      is welcome, or you could work on any of these too.

      I would prefer that someone who has tried to implement BACnet Schedules for
      lighting applications look at any schedule issues.

      I think that the Lighting Object is perhaps the most daunting to start and
      complete, so perhaps we save that until we have completed some of the
      smaller issues.

      Of course, other ideas are welcome.

      Please accept my apologies for not relaying this information sooner.

      Regards,

      Steve Karg
      Senior Engineer
      Electronic Systems Group
      Lithonia Lighting
      Decatur, Georgia, USA

      Lighting Control Systems and BACnet
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BACnetLighting/files/Lighting.html
    • Stephen J. Treado
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 2002
        This looks good. I have emailed Paul Ericcson and asked that he schedule a
        meeting of the IES Controls Protocols committee at Lightfair (6/2-5, SF),
        and expressing our interest to participate. He also indicated that it would
        be OK for us to circulate written material to the committee. Maybe I could
        work on the lighting object. Should we try to do anything with the NEMA
        controls group?