Stuyvesant/Bayard Info

  • RAGLADY@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 1998
      Hello Everyone:

      My name is Gloria Lambert, live in Clinton Twp., Mich. and this is my first
      posting to the Backer List, although I have been 'lurking' in the background
      for a couple of weeks. Went and copied all previous digests so I could catch
      up with current info.
      My interest in the Backer List is perhaps a bit different than everyone elses.

      Margritie/Margaret Stuyvestant, wife of Jacobus Backer, presumably after his
      death (although there is some dispute to that) had a
      relationship/engagement/marriage?? to Balthazar DeHart/de Haart, a wealthy
      merchant of New Amsterdam, who immigrated also from Holland. She also had at
      least one acknowledged son, Daniel DeHart. There was another Balthazar son,
      Matthias, but no one is certain if his mother was Margritie Stuyvestant. It
      was Balthazar DeHart who purchased a great deal (if not all) of Jacobus
      Backer's property when he disappeared.

      I have a great deal of information on the DeHart lineage of Balthazar,
      Margritie and Daniel; however, I recognize that this is the Backer List. You
      must let me know if the DeHart information is wanted. I am here to learn more
      about Margritie Stuyvestant and her children, siblings and their lineages
      through the Backer lines as well.

      I subscribe to Genealogy Library, an off-shoot of Family Tree Maker. Some of
      the earlier postings here questioned the relationship of Bayard lines to
      Stuyvestant to Backer lines. I have copied as bit of information below from a
      book available for searching on the Gen Library site.

      Genealogy Library/FTM
      "A History and Genealogy of the Bayard and Related Families"
      Author: Joseph Gaston Baillie Bulloch, M. D
      Call Number: CS71.B149
      Washington, D.C. James H. Dony, Printer 1919
      Excerpted from the above:

      "EXCURSUS STUYVESANT.

      1 Rev. Balthazer Stuyvesant, of Friesland, left Berlicum for Diefgyl in 1664.
      He died in 1677. He married first, Margaret Hardenstein (who died May 2,
      1625), by whom he had:
      I. Peter Stuyvesant, born 1602. Governor of New Amsterdam, married Judith
      Bayard.
      II. Anna Stuyvesant, married Samuel Bayard.

      Rev. Balthazer Stuyvesant married, second, Stientie Petiers, by whom he had
      Balthazer and three other children.***Gloria's note: We know, of course,
      Margritie, was one***

      Judith and Samuel Bayard were sister and brother.

      NOTE.--According to the History of the Cornell Family, Rev. Balthazer Bayard
      had:
      I. Judith Bayard.
      II. Rebecca Bayard.
      III. Samuel Bayard, baptized at Breva, September 30, 1609.
      IV. Lewis Bayard.
      V. Paul Bayard.
      VI. Catharine Bayard.
      VII. David Bayard."
      END quote

      Anyone seriously into the Bayard lines might consider subscribing to Gen
      Library for a while. The above book is packed with info. I hope this is
      helpful.

      Gloria
    • Pam Wiley
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 20, 1998
        Gloria,

        Thanks SO much for the Bayard info. I know that Audrey will be especially
        interested. I am so glad you added the information about
        the Stuyvesant and Bayards. I have been re-reading the letters in the
        archives, and am more confused with all the inter-relationships than ever!
        Did you have the chance to review the info from the free data base from
        Ancestry.com? If not, I can send it to you privately or via this list.

        Please continue to send info about the other "marriage" of Margaret
        Stuyvesant....

        Pam