nok! nok! Is this thing on??? My most recent Culinary Adventure

  • andiesputnik
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2006
      Hullo! I hope your holidays are going well. Mine are, certainly.

      For our Christmas Eve festivities (the Loud Party with my brother's
      family) I wanted to make a Figgy Pudding.

      Despite my fairly-decent-if-I-do-say-so-myself-and-growing-to-boot
      cookbook collection, I used Internet Resources and ended up with the
      following. Behold:

      Rec't available at
      http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/bldes108.htm

      Figgy Pudding

      Ingredients
      1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
      2 eggs
      1 cup molasses
      2 cups dried figs (about 1 pound), stems removed, chopped fine
      1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
      1 cup buttermilk
      1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
      2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
      1/2 teaspoon baking soda
      2 teaspoons baking powder
      1 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
      1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
      Garnish
      Whipped cream

      Instructions
      In an electric mixer, cream the butter until fluffy. Add the eggs and
      molasses and beat again. Add the figs, lemon peel, buttermilk, and
      walnuts and blend 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients and blend
      until everything is incorporated. Grease and flour and 8 by 4-inch
      souffle dish and pour in the batter. Bake in a 325-degree F. oven for
      1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
      Spoon the pudding out onto plates or cut it into wedges. Garnish with
      the whipped cream.

      Yield: 12 servings

      (from The Frugal Gourmet Celebrates Christmas -- buy at Amazon here:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0688091288/negativespaceA/ --

      The first time I tried it, it seemed bitter (dark molasses) as well as
      overbaked (my bad). Two days later, after sitting in the fridge in a
      plastic bag, however, it had become denser and moister, and, somehow
      better!

      Resolution: next time, make it 2-3 days in advance!

      Andrea / Sonya of Prague