Crusader Battle at Pennsic

  • Vargas
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 2007
      Greetings my Brothers and Sisters in arms.

      Please heed this call and take note as you will. In the tradition of the "battle of thirty" held at Pennsic comes now a separate scenario: A crusader battle. A true competition between the Soldiers of Christ and The Warriors of Islam (for fun, of course). Being fully aware of the current geopolitical situation, we humbly request that all mundane considerations be put aside for the sake of this battle. This is Not a battle of religion, this is Not a battle of Ideology, but instead, this is a battle of History, and is meant to exemplify what we try to do within the SCA. The goal of this scenario is to be as accurate as possible in both appearance, tactics, and weapons of the first three crusades (Barring of course calvary and horse archers (thank God/Allah)).

      His Majesty of the Middle, Sir Dag Thorgrimsson, will represent the English King Richard, and my humble self, Sir Rodrigo Vargas de Leon will represent the Muslim commander, Sal -al -din.

      Therefore, with the above in mind:

      Salaam alaikum brothers and sisters of the faith; in the name of Allah the beneficent, the merciful, do I Sir Rodrigo Vargas De`Leon ibn Chen Tzu ibn Palymar of the Two Baronies, Ibn Moonwulf Starkaaderson, ibn dirt, send greetings.

      May the blessings of Allah be bestowed upon you.
      The horns of war echo in the distance giving theme to the uneasy truce that exists between the English king and the faithful of Allah, blessed is his name.

      Heed now the words of Allah the Merciful:

      “Make ready for them all thou canst of armed force and of horses tethered that thereby ye may dismay the enemy of Allah and your enemy, and others beside them whom ye know not, Allah knoweth them. Whatsoever ye spend in the way of Allah it will be repaid to you in full and ye will not be wronged.” Sûrah 8-60

      I Sal al Din/Vargas, humble servant of Allah the merciful beseech thee followers of the faith to join me with all the finery and pageantry of our culture which is the envy of all the world to meet upon the field of Pennsic (time and date tba) to show the infidels and nonbelievers what your sword arm and faith in the merciful Allah is made of.

      Below are the current guide lines for the scenario, if any are interested you may find more information here:   http://www.legiodraconis.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index&action=viewtopic&topic=5946&start=30

      THE GUIDELINES:

      Only weapons documentable to the 1st - 3rd crusades are acceptable: broadsword, hand axe, mace, 2 handed axes, spears, javelins, kite, heater or round shields, combat archery, and seige weapons. Mackejewski bible weapons are being allowed, that is Falx (also called Warbrand), medieval chopper, and warclub. The Mac bible does show a glaive but we think it is an after the fact weapon. No polearms, greatswords, bastard swords or two weapon styles.

      We ask a reasonable attempt at the look of the period.

      Ransoming will be allowed.

      We are asking that those participating research how their side fought and attempt to use tactics of the period if possible. Please note, we are asking for support people (water-bearers, heralds, etc.) to join in the period attempt of either Crusader or Saracen. You do not have to be a fighter to participate in this (for instance, the Saracen side would love to find an Imam and/or musicians to encourage us on the field). If you are interested, please contact us (captainvargas@... (please note that I may be slow to respond b/c of work related traveling, but I will respond) or baronessrowanconnor@... ).

      The current plan is to have two battles, 1 hour time limit on each battle. Field to the last man. Castle siege- capture the banner? Capture Sala al Din?

      This is promising to be quite the show. Come and help make history and be part of the tales that will be told for years to come. Please cross-post this to anyone or any list you think might be interested - this is open to all Kingdoms.

      In service
      Vargas aka Sal a din

      Got a little couch potato?
    • Marie Schorn
      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2007
        Hi Everybody,

        Meistara Thorhalla sent this to the Middlebridge and I thought it might be of interest.

        Arrienne

        Good morning,
        I wanted to let interested folk know that I am selling some of my
        textile
        tools, such as a rigid heddle loom, warping board and some textile
        books on
        eBay.  The loom is up now and the other items will be up before the end
        of
        the week.
        Like just about every other SCA person I know, I live in a small  house
        with
        way too much stuff.  If you are interested, my eBay ID is
        meistara_thorhalla.  I would love to see these items in an SCA home.
        Thanks.
        Meistara Thorhalla Carlsdottir af Broberg.