Demo Request - June 20, 2007

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2007
      I received a request for a Demo. The requests are specific but they
      are happy to take what they can get. They understand that we are
      all volunteers here.

      Please feel free to contact me if you can help with this Demo.

      Ian the Green
      Chatelain for the Shire of Grey Gargoyles

      Mystborne AT yahoo DOT com

      "Hi Dave,

      It was good talking to you on Monday. I apologize I did not get
      back to you yesterday as promised, but work got really crazy. Let
      me give you a brief overview of our day camp since I ddn't get the
      opportunity on Monday. The children will be with us for five weeks
      this summer, starting June 18th and running to the end of July. (We
      skip the week of the fourth). Camp hours run from 10:00am to
      3:00pm. Our staff arrives at 9:00am for set up and prepration for
      the day. The children are divided into set groups amongst the
      counselors to make crafts, games and field trips go smoothly. There
      will be no more then five groups this year. We average about
      roughly 30 - 35 kids between the ages of 7 and 12. Activites are on
      Mondays, presentations on Wednesdays and field trips on Fridays.

      As I mentioned before, the town is a bit isolated and small. Many
      of my kids parents work so anything novel seems to caputre their
      attention. The kids are very active (boy are they ever!) and also
      enjoy hands on activities. Per your suggestion, I downloaded the
      SCA brochure and was amazed at the number of activities you engage
      in. Some of the activities listed I think the kids may enjoy seeing
      and/or participating in are:

      Fighting/Period Fencing demo (we could set the groups up as cheering
      sections?)
      Pottery
      Cooking (we cannot have a live flame inside the building, but we do
      have a fridge and grilling facilities in our pavillion and the kids
      love to eat. haha We would be happy to purchase food supplies.)
      Gaming
      Leather working
      Paper Making
      Riddles
      Toy making
      Drama/comedy

      We are open to anything else that anybody would like to teach us
      about. I understand that since this is all volunteers, it's mostly
      going to be about what people are willing to do. So if there's
      somebody who wants to present something not on the list, by all
      means they are welcome. We are completely flexable.

      Our primary target week for SCA would be the first week of camp.
      That day would be Wednesday, June 20th. If this isn't workable, you
      could also do Sports week on Wednesday, July 11th. Whichever is
      more convienant is fine with us.

      Thank you so much for your help.

      Christine

      Thornton Recreation Department"