Re: [Ayreton] Use of this list

  • Wolfram von Waldersbach
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 3 9:53 AM
      >1. Close the list to discussion, only allowing announcements, news, births,
      >deaths, etc. restoring the list to its original intent. Possibly turn
      >moderating on to enforce this, at least in the beginning. Chatting must be
      >moved either to local lists or to Frasers-Oak.

      Honestly, with the events of the past fortnight on this list, I'm in favor
      of this option. Leaving this open as yet another opportunity for some troll
      to spout off gets a bit annoying after a while. There are more than enough
      localized Yahoo groups (TGS, GG, etc.) to handle general discussion,
      location (shire or province) specific matters, or mindless bitching for the
      sake of bitching.

      In Service,

      -Wolfram von Waldersbach
      Archery Marshal in Training, from the Shire of the Grey Gargoyles
      Sursum ad Summum

      MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.� Enter to win today.
      http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline
    • David Roland
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 3 2:52 PM
        I -me personally not my "office" as cryer - find another path that I
        think we should follow.

        I like how Justin put it. Keep this list open to anyone to post
        onto. Excercise self control and keep the posts to a minimum.

        We maintain a place where anyone can make announcements in a timely
        manner, make ride requests in a timely manner and if they have a
        question about something going on and get a timely and likely
        accurate response.

        Conversation and discussion outside these areas in my opinion - ME
        not the Cryer - should be kept to a minimum or taken off list to yes,
        Fraser's Oak's, after all the owner of the list has generously
        offered it and that IS what it is for OR to personal e-mails as Moira
        pointed out.

        The purpose of the list is so that we can communicate in a timely
        manner to fulfill the informaitonal needs of the various groups and
        SCA people in the area we here call Ayreton. This Yahoo! group is
        not and was not intended as a forum for conversation de jur.

        I believe that if you want to have those electronic conversations
        then do so but don't do it on THIS list. Take it to personal e-mails
        or the Fraser's Oak's as it has been offered. To me creating another
        list for Ayreton conversation and restricting who can post on this
        list will create the very communication problems that this list was
        created to solve.

        To me ANYONE should be able to post to this list. I as the Cryer CAN
        NOT and DO NOT respond to announcement requests fast enough to get
        things out that perhaps fall into the immediate category. These
        would be, "I need a ride to tomorrow's event," "Sorry but X,Y,Z
        activity is cancelled TONIGHT!" as well as the plethora of other
        possibilities.

        It is because of this that I reiterate that I believe that ANYONE
        should be able to post to this list, we should, as we did previously,
        and as Justin pointed out, excercise self control and keep posts here
        to activties, events etc and to questions, comments and help
        associated with them. If you wish to have further conversation than
        that, as Moira suggested, take it elsewhere.

        Ian the Green
        giving his personal opinion not the Ayreton Towne Cryer's word on
        something... really they are different sometimes.
      • spdesroches@att.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008

          Greetings Citizens

               I thank you all for your time and opinions here. I have been reading all these communications, and have been more or less satisfied that so far the rules for the use of this private list are being followed. For those who may have subscribed only lately, those rules include:

              That the messages posted be done in a thoughtful, polite manner much as in our Society in whole.

              That posts should be kept to a reasonable minimum in length and quantity.

              That the list will not be used as a resource for personal attacks here or to acquire private e-mail addresses for objectionable private posts.

                We have previously established penalties for the violation of these rules, namely that with the first infraction, as judged by the moderators, will result in the violator receiving a private warning, with the offending content quoted, from the Town Crier. The second violation will result in a similar warning posted publicly here. The third infraction will result in the violator having their posting priviledges here suspended for 90 days from the date of a public notice by the Town Crier. The violator may then be returned to posting status if an apology is received by the Town Crier, agreed to by the moderators, and then published here.

               The moderators reserve the right to alter these rules or penalties as circumstances demand on this private list.

               Thus said, I would like to bring up a subject suggested at the Town Meeting held in Foxvale last fall, namely that this list be restricted to the posting of notices for area events, meetings and other functions and needs, and that there there be established a seperate discussion group for more politically oriented subjects.  True, it's "just another damn list I've got clogging my bandwidth", but doing so would allow that discussion to continue without interfering with the primary purpose of this list. We had put off using this option last fall, but now may be the time.

          Peace
          Hizzoner

        • Andrew Otto
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
            Angus steps out from the Oak and out of persona...

            You (we) have a forum for this kind of discussion, The Frasers-Oak list. I started this list with my own time and funds to have a place where these kind of discussions could happen, in an open and frank manner.

            I invite you all to come on over and bring this discussion to The Oak and leave the other lists for announcements and news.

            My rules are a little less strict and my be more appropriate for this type of discussion.

            1. No personal attacks. Note that a personal attack is "you are a scum sucking idiot". It is not, "I think you might be trying B.S. us" or "you did something to piss me off"
            2. In vino veritas. This is an honesty zone. If you are mad, sad, annoyed, frustrated, suspicious, or otherwise peeved, say it! and oh see point 3
            3. This is a tavern. Politeness is highly overrated here. Civility would be nice. Keep it R-rated.
            4. Fighting will result in the combatants being asked to neutral corners until they can play nice with each other.
            5. Long-winded rambling is allowed, but this sort of thing is it's own punishment -- people will fail to read your tirade.

            Come on by and hoist a pint!

            -*Angus*-

            spdesroches@... wrote:
[...]

            -*Andy*-