Re: [Ayreton] Use of this list

  • Tedesco da Venezia
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 3, 2007
      Our original intent for the Ayreton list was indeed a area-wide announcement list, and in fact the policy statements said "please keep chatter to the local lists".  When the Ayreton Carnivale needed a place to post group planning, the list was opened up to discussion, just so no one would feel excluded by having the planning take place on one of the local lists...  There's a system part of yahoogroups that allows people to subscribe "Special Announcements Only", which I proposed that people who do not want to be part of the discussion switch to-- unfortunately, only group mods can post "special announcements", and the system was not readily used.

      I don't see value in creating yet-another-list for discussion instead of announcements, but I fear "hijacking" Frasers-Oak for Chicago area discussion like the kind that has taken place over the past week since the event will irritate non-Chicago people who don't want to hear our local discussion.  But then again, it is a well-established place to have these kind of discussions.  So we have a choice, and I think it is definitely up to the opinion of the mayor, his staff, and the people of Ayreton to decide how we address this:

      1. Close the list to discussion, only allowing announcements, news, births, deaths, etc. restoring the list to its original intent.  Possibly turn moderating on to enforce this, at least in the beginning.  Chatting must be moved either to local lists or to Frasers-Oak.
      2. Leave it as-is, allow open discussion, and perhaps try to enforce the "Special Announcements" system for news, allowing people who do not want to hear the discussion to switch their subscription to "Special Notices Only" or "Daily Digest".

      ~Tedesco~

      On 4/2/07, Sheehan, Justin <JSHEEHA3@...> wrote:

      Would I be out of line in suggesting that we start an Ayreton-Discussion list for those locals who would like a list in which more regular discussion is allowed? I think this way we could keep the Announcements list for the business of the Lord Mayor, his adjutants, our town crier, and the odd anouncement (such as last week's) of births, accomplishments, and introductions. We could use the other list for broader, unofficial discussions of kingdom and society policies, practices, and any other issue which might incite debate and inundate our inboxes with undesired clutter. Just a thought.

      Cheers,
      Justin

      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 3, 2007
        >1. Close the list to discussion, only allowing announcements, news, births,
        >deaths, etc. restoring the list to its original intent. Possibly turn
        >moderating on to enforce this, at least in the beginning. Chatting must be
        >moved either to local lists or to Frasers-Oak.

        Honestly, with the events of the past fortnight on this list, I'm in favor
        of this option. Leaving this open as yet another opportunity for some troll
        to spout off gets a bit annoying after a while. There are more than enough
        localized Yahoo groups (TGS, GG, etc.) to handle general discussion,
        location (shire or province) specific matters, or mindless bitching for the
        sake of bitching.

        In Service,

        -Wolfram von Waldersbach
        Archery Marshal in Training, from the Shire of the Grey Gargoyles
        Sursum ad Summum

        MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.� Enter to win today.
        http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline
      • David Roland
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 3, 2007
          I -me personally not my "office" as cryer - find another path that I
          think we should follow.

          I like how Justin put it. Keep this list open to anyone to post
          onto. Excercise self control and keep the posts to a minimum.

          We maintain a place where anyone can make announcements in a timely
          manner, make ride requests in a timely manner and if they have a
          question about something going on and get a timely and likely
          accurate response.

          Conversation and discussion outside these areas in my opinion - ME
          not the Cryer - should be kept to a minimum or taken off list to yes,
          Fraser's Oak's, after all the owner of the list has generously
          offered it and that IS what it is for OR to personal e-mails as Moira
          pointed out.

          The purpose of the list is so that we can communicate in a timely
          manner to fulfill the informaitonal needs of the various groups and
          SCA people in the area we here call Ayreton. This Yahoo! group is
          not and was not intended as a forum for conversation de jur.

          I believe that if you want to have those electronic conversations
          then do so but don't do it on THIS list. Take it to personal e-mails
          or the Fraser's Oak's as it has been offered. To me creating another
          list for Ayreton conversation and restricting who can post on this
          list will create the very communication problems that this list was
          created to solve.

          To me ANYONE should be able to post to this list. I as the Cryer CAN
          NOT and DO NOT respond to announcement requests fast enough to get
          things out that perhaps fall into the immediate category. These
          would be, "I need a ride to tomorrow's event," "Sorry but X,Y,Z
          activity is cancelled TONIGHT!" as well as the plethora of other
          possibilities.

          It is because of this that I reiterate that I believe that ANYONE
          should be able to post to this list, we should, as we did previously,
          and as Justin pointed out, excercise self control and keep posts here
          to activties, events etc and to questions, comments and help
          associated with them. If you wish to have further conversation than
          that, as Moira suggested, take it elsewhere.

          Ian the Green
          giving his personal opinion not the Ayreton Towne Cryer's word on
          something... really they are different sometimes.
        • spdesroches@att.net
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1 9:00 PM

            Greetings Citizens

                 I thank you all for your time and opinions here. I have been reading all these communications, and have been more or less satisfied that so far the rules for the use of this private list are being followed. For those who may have subscribed only lately, those rules include:

                That the messages posted be done in a thoughtful, polite manner much as in our Society in whole.

                That posts should be kept to a reasonable minimum in length and quantity.

                That the list will not be used as a resource for personal attacks here or to acquire private e-mail addresses for objectionable private posts.

                  We have previously established penalties for the violation of these rules, namely that with the first infraction, as judged by the moderators, will result in the violator receiving a private warning, with the offending content quoted, from the Town Crier. The second violation will result in a similar warning posted publicly here. The third infraction will result in the violator having their posting priviledges here suspended for 90 days from the date of a public notice by the Town Crier. The violator may then be returned to posting status if an apology is received by the Town Crier, agreed to by the moderators, and then published here.

                 The moderators reserve the right to alter these rules or penalties as circumstances demand on this private list.

                 Thus said, I would like to bring up a subject suggested at the Town Meeting held in Foxvale last fall, namely that this list be restricted to the posting of notices for area events, meetings and other functions and needs, and that there there be established a seperate discussion group for more politically oriented subjects.  True, it's "just another damn list I've got clogging my bandwidth", but doing so would allow that discussion to continue without interfering with the primary purpose of this list. We had put off using this option last fall, but now may be the time.

            Peace
            Hizzoner

          • Andrew Otto
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 2 1:20 AM
              Angus steps out from the Oak and out of persona...

              You (we) have a forum for this kind of discussion, The Frasers-Oak list. I started this list with my own time and funds to have a place where these kind of discussions could happen, in an open and frank manner.

              I invite you all to come on over and bring this discussion to The Oak and leave the other lists for announcements and news.

              My rules are a little less strict and my be more appropriate for this type of discussion.

              1. No personal attacks. Note that a personal attack is "you are a scum sucking idiot". It is not, "I think you might be trying B.S. us" or "you did something to piss me off"
              2. In vino veritas. This is an honesty zone. If you are mad, sad, annoyed, frustrated, suspicious, or otherwise peeved, say it! and oh see point 3
              3. This is a tavern. Politeness is highly overrated here. Civility would be nice. Keep it R-rated.
              4. Fighting will result in the combatants being asked to neutral corners until they can play nice with each other.
              5. Long-winded rambling is allowed, but this sort of thing is it's own punishment -- people will fail to read your tirade.

              Come on by and hoist a pint!

              -*Angus*-

              spdesroches@... wrote:
[...]

              -*Andy*-