Re: [Ayreton] Use of this list

  • kateslists@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007

      "Either we're inclusive or we're not.  Pretending we are if we aren't certainly does nothing."

      Yes, Purple, you're right on this but wrong on some of your facts.  In you're original post you said :

      "When we had the rotating practices, suddenly people didn't want to go
      to Ravenslake, and it felt to me like that group was being "excluded"
      from being party of Areyton in practice, if not in name."

      I was one of the people who pushed the idea of combining practices and I went to 90% of them when they started.   Many of the Treegirtsea and Gargoyles fighters traveled to the combined practices but the Ravenslake fighters didn't come in to the practices in the city.   (But they thought it was great when we went up there.)  After 6 months or so they were dropped out of the rotation because they weren't participating in the rotation.

      Bojei
      (who's really wondering and annoyed at how her low traffice announcement list has started clogging up her inbox)

    • Drew Nicholson
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
        On 4/2/07, kateslists@... <kateslists@...> wrote:

        > "When we had the rotating practices, suddenly people didn't want to go
        > to Ravenslake, and it felt to me like that group was being "excluded"
        > from being party of Areyton in practice, if not in name."
        >
        > I was one of the people who pushed the idea of combining practices and I went to 90% of them when they started. Many of the Treegirtsea and Gargoyles fighters traveled to the combined practices but the Ravenslake fighters didn't come in to the practices in the city. (But they thought it was great when we went up there.) After 6 months or so they were dropped out of the rotation because they weren't participating in the rotation.

        <shrug> That's not how I remember it. I remember lots of
        participating in Tree-Girt-Sea practices, in part because it was
        closer, and in part because there was a better chance of host-group
        members showing up.

        I also don't remember -any- discussion about whether or not Ravenslake
        should be dropped or not. Probably because there was the same kind of
        reaction then as there is to discussion now.

        If we want this to be an announcements list, then we should say that
        it's an announcements list, and only give certain people, like the
        "Mayor" and the "Town Crier" rights to post to it. Currently, that's
        not the case.

      • aldyet@broomstich.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
          Snip< After 6 months or so they were dropped out of the rotation
          because they weren't participating in the rotation. >End snip

          This might be a silly question from someone incredibly new to your
          area but.... wouldn?t this be the point of having a rotation?

          I would imagine that a benefit of a rotating practice would give those
          who couldn?t travel an opportunity at least once a month to fight,
          while giving those who can travel, an opportunity to fight different
          people. If you had everyone who fought who could travel, did travel,
          well then you could just have a permanent site, where everyone would
          travel to...But since not everyone could travel, they could go when
          they could. In my opinion, The emphasis shouldn?t be as much on "well
          they didn?t show up when it was in a different area" as much as
          getting as much people to show up, as often as possible.

          I hope no one takes any offense, as I really don?t have an opinion one
          way or another, as I am so incredibly new. I just want to make sure I
          understand why the things they are, the way they are.

          Aldyet
        • Sheehan, Justin
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007

            “If we want this to be an announcements list, then we should say that
            it's an announcements list, and only give certain people, like the
            "Mayor" and the "Town Crier" rights to post to it. Currently, that's
            not the case.”

            The Lord Mayor, Town Crier, and any other administrators of this list are not our babysitters. If we cannot restrain ourselves from frivolous posts and fomenting argument then the failing is ours, neither theirs nor that of the others who make regular, valid announcements. To restrict the list to a select few would prevent a number of viable announcements and any sort of efficiency in communication, particularly when a moderate amount of self control from us would solve the problem.

            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007

              > The Lord Mayor, Town Crier, and any other administrators of this list are not our babysitters. If we cannot restrain ourselves from frivolous posts and fomenting argument then the failing is ours, neither theirs nor that of the others who make regular, valid announcements. To restrict the list to a select few would prevent a number of viable announcements and any sort of efficiency in communication, particularly when a moderate amount of self control from us would solve the problem.

              Having a discussion on a discussion list isn't a lack of self control.
              It's using the list for it's purpose.

              If there weren't such a thing as an announcements list, Yahoo wouldn't
              give us the option.

              I don't care either way, although I always think that seeking to avoid
              discussion is wrong. If we don't have these necessary discussions
              here, we'll have them elsewhere.
            • aldyet@broomstich.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
                I would like to thank Bojei, for giving me a very fair & honest explanation.

                Thank you

                Aldyet

                > Snip< After 6 months or so they were dropped out of the rotation
                > because they weren't participating in the rotation. >End snip
                >
                > This might be a silly question from someone incredibly new to your area
                > but.... wouldn?t this be the point of having a rotation?
                >
                > I would imagine that a benefit of a rotating practice would give those
                > who couldn?t travel an opportunity at least once a month to fight,
                > while giving those who can travel, an opportunity to fight different
                > people. If you had everyone who fought who could travel, did travel,
                > well then you could just have a permanent site, where everyone would
                > travel to...But since not everyone could travel, they could go when
                > they could. In my opinion, The emphasis shouldn?t be as much on "well
                > they didn?t show up when it was in a different area" as much as getting
                > as much people to show up, as often as possible.
                >
                > I hope no one takes any offense, as I really don?t have an opinion one
                > way or another, as I am so incredibly new. I just want to make sure I
                > understand why the things they are, the way they are.
                >
                > Aldyet
              • Valerie
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Ok so I wrote a long email response on everything. I looked at it and
                  decided to delete it and sum up my points.

                  1. Anyone can go anywhere and play with whomever they want in the
                  area.

                  2. Rotating practices didn't work due to people that couldn't commute
                  or chose not to. Instead it just led to many groups having competing
                  practices on the same day. Many of the groups marshal's talked about
                  it and most of the competeing groups settled on one day and one
                  location for a combined practice. This ended lots of confusion and
                  helped set things for those that can't commute outside of city public
                  transit. Its been a very good thing for the area as a whole as we all
                  see eachother and play together better now.

                  3. Use common sense as to what is "Important" for the list do we all
                  need to hear it or will a personal email to one person do? Do not try
                  and create problems just so you can argue for the sake of arguing on
                  the list. If someone does this ignore them. They WILL go away as
                  it's hard to argue with oneself for long and if you do you'll prolly
                  get removed from the list for spam anyway.

                  4. We are all Aeyerton and it doesn't matter what practices are
                  called so long as the people of aeyerton are all happy to have places
                  to fight. If you truely have a problem with a group or groups
                  practice name then show up to a group meeting and bring it up there.
                  Talk to the marshals in charge if you REALLY feel it's an issue
                  and "offensive".

                  If someone disagree's or doesn't like what I've stated above feel
                  free to say so but I will not respond. I feel no need to argue a
                  point over and over again. It wastes everyones time and I'd rather be
                  out fighting, sewing, working, playing, drinking, anything thats a
                  lot of fun instead.

                  Have fun, don't take yourself so seriously and for god's sake watch
                  out for those pink fluffy bunnies....I hear they have sharp pointy
                  teeth!

                  Moira O'Dorran - I'm not feeling very p.c. today

                  "That rabbit's DYNAMITE!"
                • Sheehan, Justin
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
                    Would I be out of line in suggesting that we start an Ayreton-Discussion list for those locals who would like a list in which more regular discussion is allowed? I think this way we could keep the Announcements list for the business of the Lord Mayor, his adjutants, our town crier, and the odd anouncement (such as last week's) of births, accomplishments, and introductions. We could use the other list for broader, unofficial discussions of kingdom and society policies, practices, and any other issue which might incite debate and inundate our inboxes with undesired clutter. Just a thought.

                    Cheers,
                    Justin

                    > The Lord Mayor, Town Crier, and any other administrators of this list are not our babysitters. If we cannot restrain ourselves from frivolous posts and fomenting argument then the failing is ours, neither theirs nor that of the others who make regular, valid announcements. To restrict the list to a select few would prevent a number of viable announcements and any sort of efficiency in communication, particularly when a moderate amount of self control from us would solve the problem.

                    Having a discussion on a discussion list isn't a lack of self control.
                    It's using the list for it's purpose.

                    If there weren't such a thing as an announcements list, Yahoo wouldn't
                    give us the option.

                    I don't care either way, although I always think that seeking to avoid
                    discussion is wrong. If we don't have these necessary discussions
                    here, we'll have them elsewhere.
                  • Andrew Otto
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
                      Well, I could suggest using the Frasers-Oak list to discuss these issues. That's what it's original purpose was. It is a fine establishment, without ninjas under the stairs. Mauve furry lagomorph footwear would be welcome as well.

                      I also have the domain "frasers-oak.com" and hosting space connected to it. I would be more than happy to set up forums, picture galleries, polls, etc...

                      If there is a desire among the populace for this, please let me know and I will get the ball rolling.

                      Angus Fraser
                      -*Angus*-

                      "Sheehan, Justin" <JSHEEHA3@...> wrote:

                      Would I be out of line in suggesting that we start an Ayreton-Discussion list for those locals who would like a list in which more regular discussion is allowed? I think this way we could keep the Announcements list for the business of the Lord Mayor, his adjutants, our town crier, and the odd anouncement (such as last week's) of births, accomplishments, and introductions. We could use the other list for broader, unofficial discussions of kingdom and society policies, practices, and any other issue which might incite debate and inundate our inboxes with undesired clutter. Just a thought.

                      Cheers,
                      Justin

                      > The Lord Mayor, Town Crier, and any other administrators of this list are not our babysitters. If we cannot restrain ourselves from frivolous posts and fomenting argument then the failing is ours, neither theirs nor that of the others who make regular, valid announcements. To restrict the list to a select few would prevent a number of viable announcements and any sort of efficiency in communication, particularly when a moderate amount of self control from us would solve the problem.

                      Having a discussion on a discussion list isn't a lack of self control.
                      It's using the list for it's purpose.

                      If there weren't such a thing as an announcements list, Yahoo wouldn't
                      give us the option.

                      I don't care either way, although I always think that seeking to avoid
                      discussion is wrong. If we don't have these necessary discussions
                      here, we'll have them elsewhere.

                      -*Andy*-

                    • AlexdeSet@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
                        "Truth, time obscures. Fact decays, but myth endures." Quote of John Inchingham.
                        Is mise le meas,
                        Alexander de Seton

                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 3, 2007
                          Hazaaa! to Moira!  I agree TOTALLY!  Thanks for your input Moira.

                          Eleanor

                          Need Mail bonding?
                        • Tedesco da Venezia
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 3, 2007
                            Our original intent for the Ayreton list was indeed a area-wide announcement list, and in fact the policy statements said "please keep chatter to the local lists".  When the Ayreton Carnivale needed a place to post group planning, the list was opened up to discussion, just so no one would feel excluded by having the planning take place on one of the local lists...  There's a system part of yahoogroups that allows people to subscribe "Special Announcements Only", which I proposed that people who do not want to be part of the discussion switch to-- unfortunately, only group mods can post "special announcements", and the system was not readily used.

                            I don't see value in creating yet-another-list for discussion instead of announcements, but I fear "hijacking" Frasers-Oak for Chicago area discussion like the kind that has taken place over the past week since the event will irritate non-Chicago people who don't want to hear our local discussion.  But then again, it is a well-established place to have these kind of discussions.  So we have a choice, and I think it is definitely up to the opinion of the mayor, his staff, and the people of Ayreton to decide how we address this:

                            1. Close the list to discussion, only allowing announcements, news, births, deaths, etc. restoring the list to its original intent.  Possibly turn moderating on to enforce this, at least in the beginning.  Chatting must be moved either to local lists or to Frasers-Oak.
                            2. Leave it as-is, allow open discussion, and perhaps try to enforce the "Special Announcements" system for news, allowing people who do not want to hear the discussion to switch their subscription to "Special Notices Only" or "Daily Digest".

                            ~Tedesco~

                            On 4/2/07, Sheehan, Justin <JSHEEHA3@...> wrote:

                            Would I be out of line in suggesting that we start an Ayreton-Discussion list for those locals who would like a list in which more regular discussion is allowed? I think this way we could keep the Announcements list for the business of the Lord Mayor, his adjutants, our town crier, and the odd anouncement (such as last week's) of births, accomplishments, and introductions. We could use the other list for broader, unofficial discussions of kingdom and society policies, practices, and any other issue which might incite debate and inundate our inboxes with undesired clutter. Just a thought.

                            Cheers,
                            Justin

                            > The Lord Mayor, Town Crier, and any other administrators of this list are not our babysitters. If we cannot restrain ourselves from frivolous posts and fomenting argument then the failing is ours, neither theirs nor that of the others who make regular, valid announcements. To restrict the list to a select few would prevent a number of viable announcements and any sort of efficiency in communication, particularly when a moderate amount of self control from us would solve the problem.

                            Having a discussion on a discussion list isn't a lack of self control.
                            It's using the list for it's purpose.

                            If there weren't such a thing as an announcements list, Yahoo wouldn't
                            give us the option.

                            I don't care either way, although I always think that seeking to avoid
                            discussion is wrong.  If we don't have these necessary discussions
                            here, we'll have them elsewhere.

                            ~~~~~

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            <*> Your email settings:
                                Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                mailto:Ayreton-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • Wolfram von Waldersbach
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 3, 2007
                              >1. Close the list to discussion, only allowing announcements, news, births,
                              >deaths, etc. restoring the list to its original intent. Possibly turn
                              >moderating on to enforce this, at least in the beginning. Chatting must be
                              >moved either to local lists or to Frasers-Oak.

                              Honestly, with the events of the past fortnight on this list, I'm in favor
                              of this option. Leaving this open as yet another opportunity for some troll
                              to spout off gets a bit annoying after a while. There are more than enough
                              localized Yahoo groups (TGS, GG, etc.) to handle general discussion,
                              location (shire or province) specific matters, or mindless bitching for the
                              sake of bitching.

                              In Service,

                              -Wolfram von Waldersbach
                              Archery Marshal in Training, from the Shire of the Grey Gargoyles
                              Sursum ad Summum

                              MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.� Enter to win today.
                              http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline
                            • David Roland
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 3, 2007
                                I -me personally not my "office" as cryer - find another path that I
                                think we should follow.

                                I like how Justin put it. Keep this list open to anyone to post
                                onto. Excercise self control and keep the posts to a minimum.

                                We maintain a place where anyone can make announcements in a timely
                                manner, make ride requests in a timely manner and if they have a
                                question about something going on and get a timely and likely
                                accurate response.

                                Conversation and discussion outside these areas in my opinion - ME
                                not the Cryer - should be kept to a minimum or taken off list to yes,
                                Fraser's Oak's, after all the owner of the list has generously
                                offered it and that IS what it is for OR to personal e-mails as Moira
                                pointed out.

                                The purpose of the list is so that we can communicate in a timely
                                manner to fulfill the informaitonal needs of the various groups and
                                SCA people in the area we here call Ayreton. This Yahoo! group is
                                not and was not intended as a forum for conversation de jur.

                                I believe that if you want to have those electronic conversations
                                then do so but don't do it on THIS list. Take it to personal e-mails
                                or the Fraser's Oak's as it has been offered. To me creating another
                                list for Ayreton conversation and restricting who can post on this
                                list will create the very communication problems that this list was
                                created to solve.

                                To me ANYONE should be able to post to this list. I as the Cryer CAN
                                NOT and DO NOT respond to announcement requests fast enough to get
                                things out that perhaps fall into the immediate category. These
                                would be, "I need a ride to tomorrow's event," "Sorry but X,Y,Z
                                activity is cancelled TONIGHT!" as well as the plethora of other
                                possibilities.

                                It is because of this that I reiterate that I believe that ANYONE
                                should be able to post to this list, we should, as we did previously,
                                and as Justin pointed out, excercise self control and keep posts here
                                to activties, events etc and to questions, comments and help
                                associated with them. If you wish to have further conversation than
                                that, as Moira suggested, take it elsewhere.

                                Ian the Green
                                giving his personal opinion not the Ayreton Towne Cryer's word on
                                something... really they are different sometimes.
                              • spdesroches@att.net
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008

                                  Greetings Citizens

                                       I thank you all for your time and opinions here. I have been reading all these communications, and have been more or less satisfied that so far the rules for the use of this private list are being followed. For those who may have subscribed only lately, those rules include:

                                      That the messages posted be done in a thoughtful, polite manner much as in our Society in whole.

                                      That posts should be kept to a reasonable minimum in length and quantity.

                                      That the list will not be used as a resource for personal attacks here or to acquire private e-mail addresses for objectionable private posts.

                                        We have previously established penalties for the violation of these rules, namely that with the first infraction, as judged by the moderators, will result in the violator receiving a private warning, with the offending content quoted, from the Town Crier. The second violation will result in a similar warning posted publicly here. The third infraction will result in the violator having their posting priviledges here suspended for 90 days from the date of a public notice by the Town Crier. The violator may then be returned to posting status if an apology is received by the Town Crier, agreed to by the moderators, and then published here.

                                       The moderators reserve the right to alter these rules or penalties as circumstances demand on this private list.

                                       Thus said, I would like to bring up a subject suggested at the Town Meeting held in Foxvale last fall, namely that this list be restricted to the posting of notices for area events, meetings and other functions and needs, and that there there be established a seperate discussion group for more politically oriented subjects.  True, it's "just another damn list I've got clogging my bandwidth", but doing so would allow that discussion to continue without interfering with the primary purpose of this list. We had put off using this option last fall, but now may be the time.

                                  Peace
                                  Hizzoner

                                • Andrew Otto
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
                                    Angus steps out from the Oak and out of persona...

                                    You (we) have a forum for this kind of discussion, The Frasers-Oak list. I started this list with my own time and funds to have a place where these kind of discussions could happen, in an open and frank manner.

                                    I invite you all to come on over and bring this discussion to The Oak and leave the other lists for announcements and news.

                                    My rules are a little less strict and my be more appropriate for this type of discussion.

                                    1. No personal attacks. Note that a personal attack is "you are a scum sucking idiot". It is not, "I think you might be trying B.S. us" or "you did something to piss me off"
                                    2. In vino veritas. This is an honesty zone. If you are mad, sad, annoyed, frustrated, suspicious, or otherwise peeved, say it! and oh see point 3
                                    3. This is a tavern. Politeness is highly overrated here. Civility would be nice. Keep it R-rated.
                                    4. Fighting will result in the combatants being asked to neutral corners until they can play nice with each other.
                                    5. Long-winded rambling is allowed, but this sort of thing is it's own punishment -- people will fail to read your tirade.

                                    Come on by and hoist a pint!

                                    -*Angus*-