Re: Pennsic and heavy fighters

  • David Valenta
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 29, 2007
      Would any of the groups wish to re-establish the once-a-month
      rotating Ayerton practice?

      Guy Dawkins

      --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, AlexdeSet@... wrote:

      > By no means. It seems I am incorrect; I am told that because the GG
      practice includes TGS and VW, it is the Ayreton Practice."I believe
      the reason the grey gargoyle/ ida noyes
      > practice is termed "The ayerton practice", is because
      > it also is the official vanished wood and( im fairly
      > sure) the TGS practice for heavy as well. Thus even
      > though its grey gargoyles' site, they have graciously
      > let us piggy back onto it on a regular basis, thus
      > causing it to have aquired the more inclusive ayerton
      > name to reflect us joining them."
      > Is mise le meas,
      > Alexander

      __
      free from AOL at AOL.com.

    • David Roland
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 29, 2007
        The reason that I started e-mailing people was to get the practices
        synched up. Even with that effort people were still confused and
        attendance was down compared to the weeks where practices were not
        being rotated.

        I think should all pitch in on this idea and if that is what people
        want to do sure, lets do it. I'll make the announcements again.

        As an individual, - me - I personally think we shouldn't.

        Just my personal opinion.

        Ian

        --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "David Valenta" <dvalenta@...> wrote:

        > Would any of the groups wish to re-establish the once-a-month
        > rotating Ayerton practice?
        >
        > Guy Dawkins
        >
        > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, AlexdeSet@ wrote:
        > >
        > > By no means. It seems I am incorrect; I am told that because the
        GG
        > practice includes TGS and VW, it is the Ayreton Practice."I believe
        > the reason the grey gargoyle/ ida noyes
        > > practice is termed "The ayerton practice", is because
        > > it also is the official vanished wood and( im fairly
        > > sure) the TGS practice for heavy as well. Thus even
        > > though its grey gargoyles' site, they have graciously
        > > let us piggy back onto it on a regular basis, thus
        > > causing it to have aquired the more inclusive ayerton
        > > name to reflect us joining them."
        > > Is mise le meas,
        > > Alexander

      • Drew
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 29, 2007
          > Would any of the groups wish to re-establish the once-a-month
          > rotating Ayerton practice?
          >
          > Guy Dawkins

          If we want to reenforce the concept that Ayreton is ALL of the Chicago-land
          groups, and not just TGS and GG, then yes.

          Or make sure that it's entirely clear that ALL chicago-land group practices
          are Ayreton practices.

          Oh, what a goofy work is man. (The Tick!)
        • ayretontownecryer
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 30, 2007
            > If we want to reenforce the concept that Ayreton is ALL of the
            >Chicago-land groups, and not just TGS and GG, then yes.
            >
            > Or make sure that it's entirely clear that ALL chicago-land group
            > practices are Ayreton practices.

            > --
            > Oh, what a goofy work is man. (The Tick!)

            I believe if one reads the Ayreton Arts Martial Announcements that it
            is perfectly clear that all the practices are Ayreton Arts Martial
            Practices as the subject lines are wont to note in and of themselves.

            I will point out, as it was pointed out by Kiyohare this past week,
            that the "Ayreton Practice" is a combined practice of the Province of
            Tree Girt Sea, Grey Gargoyles AND Vanished Woods. As this is half
            the groups of Ayreton practicing in one spot it was felt that it was
            acceptable to call this the Ayreton Practice.

            I make it abundently clear, or at least I try to, in my Ayreton
            announcements that this is NOT the only practice in the Ayreton Area
            and advertise the Ravenslake, TGS, Thieves of Hearts etc etc etc
            practices as well on all my Arts Martial announcements including not
            just Heavy and Rapier but Boffer and archery as well. As yet I have
            not been requested to make Thrown weapons announcements but would
            happily do so.

            The fact that the announcement is made with the title Ayreton Arts
            Martial already puts the practice as an Arts Martial Practice in
            Ayreton. And as I previously stated, I go out of my way to state
            that there are other Ayreton Arts Martial practices besides the
            Ayreton Practice hosted by the Shire of Grey Gargoyles.

            So it is already well advertised that all the groups of Ayreton that
            have any form of Arts Martial practice ARE indeed Ayreton practices.

            Ian the Green

            Ayreton Towne Cryer
          • Drew Nicholson
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 30, 2007
              > I will point out, as it was pointed out by Kiyohare this past week,
              > that the "Ayreton Practice" is a combined practice of the Province of
              > Tree Girt Sea, Grey Gargoyles AND Vanished Woods. As this is half
              > the groups of Ayreton practicing in one spot it was felt that it was
              > acceptable to call this the Ayreton Practice.

              Simply logic rules state that if you call something THE Areyton
              practice, other things cannot also be Areyton practices.

              IMO, the GG/TGS/VW practice at Grey Gargoyles should be called, well,
              the GG/TGS/VW practice.

              When we had the rotating practices, suddenly people didn't want to go
              to Ravenslake, and it felt to me like that group was being "excluded"
              from being party of Areyton in practice, if not in name.

              Now they may -be- part of Areyton in name -- but, apparently, not in practice.
            • Dayle Harding
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 30, 2007
                Purple--

                Maybe this happened when you weren't in the area, but I believe that it was made QUITE clear that any and all of the practices that are announced on this site, as well as any guild meetings, other practices, or get togethers in general are for all of Ayreton to attend if they wish.  When Ian started collecting these things, he was on each of the local groups email groups, and was more than generous with his time to compile a list of whatever anyone sent him.  If the people in the group did not send it to him, it wasn't posted.  All postings were made with the idea that if it was on there, it was for all.  Otherwise, why bother.

                Is that enough reinforcement for you?
                Acelina

                > Would any of the groups wish to re-establish the once-a-month
                > rotating Ayerton practice?
                >
                > Guy Dawkins

                If we want to reenforce the concept that Ayreton is ALL of the Chicago-land
                groups, and not just TGS and GG, then yes.

                Or make sure that it's entirely clear that ALL chicago-land group practices
                are Ayreton practices.

                Oh, what a goofy work is man. (The Tick!)

                with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.
              • Drew Nicholson
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 30, 2007
                  It is a semantic difference.

                  However, when you're talking about the title-ing of something, semantics is important.

                  Calling one of the practices in the Areyton area THE Areyton practice leads to the conclusion that other practices, while inviting to Areyton members, are -not- Areyton practices.

                  It's like a university including non-affiliated club meetings in a newsletter for informational purposes.

                  On 3/30/07, Dayle Harding <acelinaofderelei@...> wrote:

                  Purple--

                  Maybe this happened when you weren't in the area, but I believe that it was made QUITE clear that any and all of the practices that are announced on this site, as well as any guild meetings, other practices, or get togethers in general are for all of Ayreton to attend if they wish.  When Ian started collecting these things, he was on each of the local groups email groups, and was more than generous with his time to compile a list of whatever anyone sent him.  If the people in the group did not send it to him, it wasn't posted.  All postings were made with the idea that if it was on there, it was for all.  Otherwise, why bother.

                  Is that enough reinforcement for you?
                  Acelina

                  > Would any of the groups wish to re-establish the once-a-month
                  > rotating Ayerton practice?
                  >
                  > Guy Dawkins

                  If we want to reenforce the concept that Ayreton is ALL of the Chicago-land
                  groups, and not just TGS and GG, then yes.

                  Or make sure that it's entirely clear that ALL chicago-land group practices
                  are Ayreton practices.

                  Oh, what a goofy work is man. (The Tick!)

                  with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.

                • em
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 31, 2007
                    I don't really think it matters what the practices are called. If
                    someone wants to fight the times and locations of where and when they
                    can do so are clearly listed in the yahoo group postings. There are
                    multiple locations and times throughout the week to work into anyone's
                    schedule or travel limitations. I don't think many fighters would
                    care if the practice was called "The Pink Fuzzy Bunny Practice" as
                    long as there were other people there to hit with sticks.

                    Mei Li
                  • Sheehan, Justin
                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 31, 2007
                      I submit that we promptly rename all practices "The Official Pink Fuzzy Bunny Practice, With Sticks." Because it really doesn't matter!

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 31, 2007
                        The pink fuzzy bunny weapons masters might object...

                        ____________ _________ _________ __

                        I don't really think it matters what the practices are called. If
                        someone wants to fight the times and locations of where and when they
                        can do so are clearly listed in the yahoo group postings. There are
                        multiple locations and times throughout the week to work into anyone's
                        schedule or travel limitations. I don't think many fighters would
                        care if the practice was called "The Pink Fuzzy Bunny Practice" as
                        long as there were other people there to hit with sticks.

                        Mei Li

                        No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.23/740 - Release Date: 3/30/2007 1:15 PM
                      • Sir Ix
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
                          >I submit that we promptly rename all practices "The Official Pink
                          >Fuzzy Bunny Practice, With Sticks." Because it really doesn't matter!

                          Only if that can be for all the Midlands! I want Pinkf Fuzzy Bunny
                          Practice with sticks and steel, but they can be unofficial :)
                          --
                          Sir Ixtilixochitl
                          Midlands - http://www.themidlands.org

                          (Bo Ring - TriLutions - http://www.galesburg.net)
                        • Christian Fournier
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
                            I submit that we promptly rename all practices "The Official Pink Fuzzy Bunny Practice, With Sticks." Because it really doesn't matter!

                            Sorry, Justin, but that name is already taken-- there's a group from Georgia, who camp on Runestone Hill  at Pennsic (you have to walk through their camp, sort of, to get to mine) called Pink Fuzzy Bunny.  I wouldn't want to cause any confusion....

                             XF
                          • Johannes Machiavelli
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
                              OK

                              Pink Fuzzy Bunny is out.

                              What about "Fushia Fluffy Weasleope Practice, With
                              Sticks"

                              Johannes

                              ::Grin::

                              --- Christian Fournier <cf@...> wrote:

                              > > I submit that we promptly rename all practices
                              > "The Official Pink
                              > > Fuzzy Bunny Practice, With Sticks." Because it
                              > really doesn't matter!
                              >
                              > Sorry, Justin, but that name is already taken--
                              > there's a group from
                              > Georgia, who camp on Runestone Hill at Pennsic (you
                              > have to walk
                              > through their camp, sort of, to get to mine) called
                              > Pink Fuzzy
                              > Bunny. I wouldn't want to cause any confusion....
                              >
                              > XF

                              Get your own web address.
                            • Johannes Machiavelli
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
                                OK

                                Pink Fuzzy Bunny is out.

                                What about "Fushia Fluffy Weasleope Practice, With
                                Sticks"

                                Johannes

                                ::Grin::

                                --- Christian Fournier <cf@...> wrote:

                                > > I submit that we promptly rename all practices
                                > "The Official Pink
                                > > Fuzzy Bunny Practice, With Sticks." Because it
                                > really doesn't matter!
                                >
                                > Sorry, Justin, but that name is already taken--
                                > there's a group from
                                > Georgia, who camp on Runestone Hill at Pennsic (you
                                > have to walk
                                > through their camp, sort of, to get to mine) called
                                > Pink Fuzzy
                                > Bunny. I wouldn't want to cause any confusion....
                                >
                                > XF

                                8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
                              • Sheehan, Justin
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
                                  The Official Ayreton Vaguely Teal Shorthair Guinea Pigs Practice, With Sticks and Steel and Sometimes Plastic-We-Know-it-Isn't-Period-but-Neither-is-Your-Prius

                                  For the win!

                                  ________________________________

                                  --- Christian Fournier <cf@... <mailto:cf%40klocktower.org> > wrote:

                                  > > I submit that we promptly rename all practices
                                  > "The Official Pink
                                  > > Fuzzy Bunny Practice, With Sticks." Because it
                                  > really doesn't matter!
                                  >
                                  > Sorry, Justin, but that name is already taken--
                                  > there's a group from
                                  > Georgia, who camp on Runestone Hill at Pennsic (you
                                  > have to walk
                                  > through their camp, sort of, to get to mine) called
                                  > Pink Fuzzy
                                  > Bunny. I wouldn't want to cause any confusion....
                                  >
                                  > XF

                                  Get your own web address.
                                  http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/?p=BESTDEAL <http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/?p=BESTDEAL>