Re: [Ayreton] Pennsic and heavy fighters

  • Dayle Harding
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 28, 2007
      Henry--

      Now that the weather is getting better, I'm sure you will find many that are willing to do drills and the like in anticipation of the upcoming War season.  What's probably been missing is a communications chain to that.  If people know where they are planning on being, I'm sure my former Towne Cryer would be happy to post stuff about it.  (hint, hint).

      Even some of the households don't get a chance to get together that often.  For example, the Brandenburgs are kinda geographically all over the place.  However, we could probably get stuff announced there, too, and generate attendance.  I'm on that group, if no one else is (but I think there are more).

      So, let's use this group as it was designed to be, an announcement board.

      Acelina

      From: drew n <drewnmt@yahoo. com>

      At Pennsic, the regions fight as divisions, essentially.  Individual houses inside those regions may fight as units within the division, but the Midlands, as a region, has a heavy commander (Vargas), XOs (Tuge and Sabah) and Serjants (whose names I can't all remember, but they include Gintaras, and two others).  The rapier regional commander is Anton, and I don't know who his officers are.  There was a post about this on Fraiser's Oak, which is the regional email list; it's hosted by Yahoo.

      The Midlands is traditionally one of the smaller regions, fighter-wise, at Pennsic, so we're always looking to increase our numbers.  If you're going to Pennsic, contact Vargas or Tuge or Sabah to make sure you're in the count!  (I've CC'd Sgt. Tuge and his assistant, Sgt. Angelique, simply because I know their email addresses, and I don't know Sabah's or Vargas'.)

      As far as non -affiliated fighers getting together to practice; that's definitely good.  Line tactics, shield-wall, triads; all of these will work within the larger context of the midlands unit.  It's also a good idea to try and make it to the big practices, like the one in Blackhawk coming up at the end of April, because there's nothing like training in a large unit.

      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 29, 2007
        Would any of the groups wish to re-establish the once-a-month
        rotating Ayerton practice?

        Guy Dawkins

        --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, AlexdeSet@... wrote:

        > By no means. It seems I am incorrect; I am told that because the GG
        practice includes TGS and VW, it is the Ayreton Practice."I believe
        the reason the grey gargoyle/ ida noyes
        > practice is termed "The ayerton practice", is because
        > it also is the official vanished wood and( im fairly
        > sure) the TGS practice for heavy as well. Thus even
        > though its grey gargoyles' site, they have graciously
        > let us piggy back onto it on a regular basis, thus
        > causing it to have aquired the more inclusive ayerton
        > name to reflect us joining them."
        > Is mise le meas,
        > Alexander

        __
        free from AOL at AOL.com.

      • David Roland
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 29, 2007
          The reason that I started e-mailing people was to get the practices
          synched up. Even with that effort people were still confused and
          attendance was down compared to the weeks where practices were not
          being rotated.

          I think should all pitch in on this idea and if that is what people
          want to do sure, lets do it. I'll make the announcements again.

          As an individual, - me - I personally think we shouldn't.

          Just my personal opinion.

          Ian

          --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "David Valenta" <dvalenta@...> wrote:

          > Would any of the groups wish to re-establish the once-a-month
          > rotating Ayerton practice?
          >
          > Guy Dawkins
          >
          > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, AlexdeSet@ wrote:
          > >
          > > By no means. It seems I am incorrect; I am told that because the
          GG
          > practice includes TGS and VW, it is the Ayreton Practice."I believe
          > the reason the grey gargoyle/ ida noyes
          > > practice is termed "The ayerton practice", is because
          > > it also is the official vanished wood and( im fairly
          > > sure) the TGS practice for heavy as well. Thus even
          > > though its grey gargoyles' site, they have graciously
          > > let us piggy back onto it on a regular basis, thus
          > > causing it to have aquired the more inclusive ayerton
          > > name to reflect us joining them."
          > > Is mise le meas,
          > > Alexander

        • Drew
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 29, 2007
            > Would any of the groups wish to re-establish the once-a-month
            > rotating Ayerton practice?
            >
            > Guy Dawkins

            If we want to reenforce the concept that Ayreton is ALL of the Chicago-land
            groups, and not just TGS and GG, then yes.

            Or make sure that it's entirely clear that ALL chicago-land group practices
            are Ayreton practices.

            Oh, what a goofy work is man. (The Tick!)
          • ayretontownecryer
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 30, 2007
              > If we want to reenforce the concept that Ayreton is ALL of the
              >Chicago-land groups, and not just TGS and GG, then yes.
              >
              > Or make sure that it's entirely clear that ALL chicago-land group
              > practices are Ayreton practices.

              > --
              > Oh, what a goofy work is man. (The Tick!)

              I believe if one reads the Ayreton Arts Martial Announcements that it
              is perfectly clear that all the practices are Ayreton Arts Martial
              Practices as the subject lines are wont to note in and of themselves.

              I will point out, as it was pointed out by Kiyohare this past week,
              that the "Ayreton Practice" is a combined practice of the Province of
              Tree Girt Sea, Grey Gargoyles AND Vanished Woods. As this is half
              the groups of Ayreton practicing in one spot it was felt that it was
              acceptable to call this the Ayreton Practice.

              I make it abundently clear, or at least I try to, in my Ayreton
              announcements that this is NOT the only practice in the Ayreton Area
              and advertise the Ravenslake, TGS, Thieves of Hearts etc etc etc
              practices as well on all my Arts Martial announcements including not
              just Heavy and Rapier but Boffer and archery as well. As yet I have
              not been requested to make Thrown weapons announcements but would
              happily do so.

              The fact that the announcement is made with the title Ayreton Arts
              Martial already puts the practice as an Arts Martial Practice in
              Ayreton. And as I previously stated, I go out of my way to state
              that there are other Ayreton Arts Martial practices besides the
              Ayreton Practice hosted by the Shire of Grey Gargoyles.

              So it is already well advertised that all the groups of Ayreton that
              have any form of Arts Martial practice ARE indeed Ayreton practices.

              Ian the Green

              Ayreton Towne Cryer
            • Drew Nicholson
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 30, 2007
                > I will point out, as it was pointed out by Kiyohare this past week,
                > that the "Ayreton Practice" is a combined practice of the Province of
                > Tree Girt Sea, Grey Gargoyles AND Vanished Woods. As this is half
                > the groups of Ayreton practicing in one spot it was felt that it was
                > acceptable to call this the Ayreton Practice.

                Simply logic rules state that if you call something THE Areyton
                practice, other things cannot also be Areyton practices.

                IMO, the GG/TGS/VW practice at Grey Gargoyles should be called, well,
                the GG/TGS/VW practice.

                When we had the rotating practices, suddenly people didn't want to go
                to Ravenslake, and it felt to me like that group was being "excluded"
                from being party of Areyton in practice, if not in name.

                Now they may -be- part of Areyton in name -- but, apparently, not in practice.
              • Dayle Harding
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 30, 2007
                  Purple--

                  Maybe this happened when you weren't in the area, but I believe that it was made QUITE clear that any and all of the practices that are announced on this site, as well as any guild meetings, other practices, or get togethers in general are for all of Ayreton to attend if they wish.  When Ian started collecting these things, he was on each of the local groups email groups, and was more than generous with his time to compile a list of whatever anyone sent him.  If the people in the group did not send it to him, it wasn't posted.  All postings were made with the idea that if it was on there, it was for all.  Otherwise, why bother.

                  Is that enough reinforcement for you?
                  Acelina

                  > Would any of the groups wish to re-establish the once-a-month
                  > rotating Ayerton practice?
                  >
                  > Guy Dawkins

                  If we want to reenforce the concept that Ayreton is ALL of the Chicago-land
                  groups, and not just TGS and GG, then yes.

                  Or make sure that it's entirely clear that ALL chicago-land group practices
                  are Ayreton practices.

                  Oh, what a goofy work is man. (The Tick!)

                  with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.
                • Drew Nicholson
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 30, 2007
                    It is a semantic difference.

                    However, when you're talking about the title-ing of something, semantics is important.

                    Calling one of the practices in the Areyton area THE Areyton practice leads to the conclusion that other practices, while inviting to Areyton members, are -not- Areyton practices.

                    It's like a university including non-affiliated club meetings in a newsletter for informational purposes.

                    On 3/30/07, Dayle Harding <acelinaofderelei@...> wrote:

                    Purple--

                    Maybe this happened when you weren't in the area, but I believe that it was made QUITE clear that any and all of the practices that are announced on this site, as well as any guild meetings, other practices, or get togethers in general are for all of Ayreton to attend if they wish.  When Ian started collecting these things, he was on each of the local groups email groups, and was more than generous with his time to compile a list of whatever anyone sent him.  If the people in the group did not send it to him, it wasn't posted.  All postings were made with the idea that if it was on there, it was for all.  Otherwise, why bother.

                    Is that enough reinforcement for you?
                    Acelina

                    > Would any of the groups wish to re-establish the once-a-month
                    > rotating Ayerton practice?
                    >
                    > Guy Dawkins

                    If we want to reenforce the concept that Ayreton is ALL of the Chicago-land
                    groups, and not just TGS and GG, then yes.

                    Or make sure that it's entirely clear that ALL chicago-land group practices
                    are Ayreton practices.

                    Oh, what a goofy work is man. (The Tick!)

                    with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.

                  • em
                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 31, 2007
                      I don't really think it matters what the practices are called. If
                      someone wants to fight the times and locations of where and when they
                      can do so are clearly listed in the yahoo group postings. There are
                      multiple locations and times throughout the week to work into anyone's
                      schedule or travel limitations. I don't think many fighters would
                      care if the practice was called "The Pink Fuzzy Bunny Practice" as
                      long as there were other people there to hit with sticks.

                      Mei Li
                    • Sheehan, Justin
                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 31, 2007
                        I submit that we promptly rename all practices "The Official Pink Fuzzy Bunny Practice, With Sticks." Because it really doesn't matter!

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 31, 2007
                          The pink fuzzy bunny weapons masters might object...

                          ____________ _________ _________ __

                          I don't really think it matters what the practices are called. If
                          someone wants to fight the times and locations of where and when they
                          can do so are clearly listed in the yahoo group postings. There are
                          multiple locations and times throughout the week to work into anyone's
                          schedule or travel limitations. I don't think many fighters would
                          care if the practice was called "The Pink Fuzzy Bunny Practice" as
                          long as there were other people there to hit with sticks.

                          Mei Li

                          No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.23/740 - Release Date: 3/30/2007 1:15 PM
                        • Sir Ix
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
                            >I submit that we promptly rename all practices "The Official Pink
                            >Fuzzy Bunny Practice, With Sticks." Because it really doesn't matter!

                            Only if that can be for all the Midlands! I want Pinkf Fuzzy Bunny
                            Practice with sticks and steel, but they can be unofficial :)
                            --
                            Sir Ixtilixochitl
                            Midlands - http://www.themidlands.org

                            (Bo Ring - TriLutions - http://www.galesburg.net)
                          • Christian Fournier
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
                              I submit that we promptly rename all practices "The Official Pink Fuzzy Bunny Practice, With Sticks." Because it really doesn't matter!

                              Sorry, Justin, but that name is already taken-- there's a group from Georgia, who camp on Runestone Hill  at Pennsic (you have to walk through their camp, sort of, to get to mine) called Pink Fuzzy Bunny.  I wouldn't want to cause any confusion....

                               XF
                            • Johannes Machiavelli
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
                                OK

                                Pink Fuzzy Bunny is out.

                                What about "Fushia Fluffy Weasleope Practice, With
                                Sticks"

                                Johannes

                                ::Grin::

                                --- Christian Fournier <cf@...> wrote:

                                > > I submit that we promptly rename all practices
                                > "The Official Pink
                                > > Fuzzy Bunny Practice, With Sticks." Because it
                                > really doesn't matter!
                                >
                                > Sorry, Justin, but that name is already taken--
                                > there's a group from
                                > Georgia, who camp on Runestone Hill at Pennsic (you
                                > have to walk
                                > through their camp, sort of, to get to mine) called
                                > Pink Fuzzy
                                > Bunny. I wouldn't want to cause any confusion....
                                >
                                > XF

                                Get your own web address.
                              • Johannes Machiavelli
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
                                    The Official Ayreton Vaguely Teal Shorthair Guinea Pigs Practice, With Sticks and Steel and Sometimes Plastic-We-Know-it-Isn't-Period-but-Neither-is-Your-Prius

                                    For the win!

                                    ________________________________

                                    --- Christian Fournier <cf@... <mailto:cf%40klocktower.org> > wrote:

                                    > > I submit that we promptly rename all practices
                                    > "The Official Pink
                                    > > Fuzzy Bunny Practice, With Sticks." Because it
                                    > really doesn't matter!
                                    >
                                    > Sorry, Justin, but that name is already taken--
                                    > there's a group from
                                    > Georgia, who camp on Runestone Hill at Pennsic (you
                                    > have to walk
                                    > through their camp, sort of, to get to mine) called
                                    > Pink Fuzzy
                                    > Bunny. I wouldn't want to cause any confusion....
                                    >
                                    > XF

                                    Get your own web address.
                                    http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/?p=BESTDEAL <http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/?p=BESTDEAL>