Re: Mayors Offfice of Special Events ?

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 28, 2007
      I think Meurig must have it in for me. :-)

      Likely not though.

      As a member inside of Ayreton I think these ideas have merit and we
      should discuss them. I do very much like the ideas on a personal
      level.

      As the Towne Cryer...

      My job at this point, as I see it, is to keep people informed about
      the activities, demos and events in the area that I have been ASKED
      to make announcements about.

      While this is a passive receiving role - I don't announce anything
      that I haven't been explicitly asked to announce - It is a very
      active sending role. I try to make the announcements once a week but
      as we all know I sometimes spread out the announcements for a bit
      longer time.

      That happens because of real life and other SCA obligations. I am
      more than happy to continue in this role but for me personally I
      simply can not pick up any more duties because of real life and
      previous SCA obligations.

      So if this is something that we as Ayreton agree to do and have,
      great! But, I simply would not do a very good job at it as I could
      not pay it the attention it would most assuredly deserve.

      Any ideas on what this Office of Special Events should do?

      Ian the Green

      --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Paul Beck <nicothoe@...> wrote:

      > I faintly recall some other mayor having an Office of Special
      Events (although his name escapes me at the moment) - and I got
      thinking .......maybe we could have one too!!

      > There is already a whole bunch of events happening in the area, and
      our devoted Town Cryer informs us of such - perhaps we can give him
      an official department!

      > This other mayor also has a number of parades....and I still think
      we should have have our own! Sadly there was no parade at out event,
      but there is nothing to say we can't have one in the future. What
      better way to show our unity by walking together under one banner.
      (There is a parade at Jubilee, perhaps we could plan on designing a
      banner and regalia)

      > Meurig ap Cynfarch,
      > (all words and no action)
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Don't get soaked. Take a quick peek at the forecast
      > with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.

    • Dayle Harding
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 28, 2007
        Sigh....and I even used the term Mayor's Office of Special Events....and apparently went unnoticed.  Maybe Etienne will have more luck with that...

        I faintly recall some other mayor having an Office of Special Events (although his name escapes me at the moment) - and I got thinking .......maybe we could have one too!!

        There is already a whole bunch of events happening in the area, and our devoted Town Cryer informs us of such - perhaps we can give him an official department!

        This other mayor also has a number of parades....and I still think we should have have our own! Sadly there was no parade at out event, but there is nothing to say we can't have one in the future.  What better way to show our unity by walking together under one banner. (There is a parade at Jubilee, perhaps we could plan on designing a banner and regalia)

        Meurig ap Cynfarch,
        (all words and no action)

        with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.

        Get your own web address.
      • AlexdeSet@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 28, 2007
          Greetings!
               Back in time, the Lord Mayor's Office for Special Events made announcements and helped people and groups ... "arrange things" ... if there were a new office-holder or political appointee, the LMOfSE would publicize it. If there were an event, it would be announced; if there were a need for the populace to cough up... I mean, to supply a person or thing (list ropes, Marshal, etc) the the call would go out. Sort of like the Towne Cryer, but more Chicago-like. None of it done by the Lord Mayor, of course, that was the LMOfSE, with help from longshoremen Guido and Rocco, who are adept at interpersonal attitude readjustment.
          Is mise le meas,
          Alexander de Seton

        • spdesroches@att.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 28, 2007

            Thank You Alexander, et al

            The town crier does indeed already fulfill the mission quite well. We will soon have a bigger and better web page thanks to Lord Tedesco, with easier access and better features. I've also suggested the Towne Crier increase his announcements from just once a month to twice. My opinion is that it is better to have too much(?) info than not enough in time. Fighter practices and A&S gatherings deserve the best chance at the largest attendance as possible, and newcomers may miss on an announcement that occurs only monthly.

            Hizzoner Etienne

            -------------- Original message from AlexdeSet@...: --------------

          • desroches56
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 28, 2007
              --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Meurig ap Cynfarch" <nicothoe@...>
              wrote:

              > There was a discussion some time ago about designing a banner that
              the
              > mayor and all Ayreton groups could unite under.
              >
              > Did we ever decide upon anything?
              >
              > Perhaps we should give our new mayor some heraldry.
              >
              > Meurig ap Cynfarch

              Greetings Ayreton-ites

              The heraldry suggestion is well-taken. So far we have used the
              linked ring as seen on the necklace. Six segments with crenellated
              borders, each with a different color representing the groups, with a
              script "A" in the center. I'll include a picture for reference. This
              was first seen included in the original propasal/charter for the
              creation of the Lord Mayor's office, and also used on the back of
              the coronation tokens of Felix and Madeleina 1, held here and the
              first true Ayreton event. I'm kinda fond of the concept. We're
              working on the banner.

              Hizzoner Etienne
            • krpurtell
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2007
                Of course, it is not absoultely necessary to register such a Badge
                with the College of Heralds in order to display it.

                -Kevin Ambrozijwski, just a guy who knows something about Heraldry
                and is not responding in any kind of offical capacity at all.

                --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "desroches56" <spdesroches@...>