Re: [Ayreton] Illinois General Assembly bill restricting homebrew

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2013
      Actually, this is an expansion and clarification of the rules regulating how and where homebrew (including mead) can be transported and consumed.  HB630 has been drafted in response to the Illinois Liquor Control Commission interpretation of the existing rules as "homebrew may only be consumed in the home, on the premises where it was made, by the people that made it."  They have threatened to shut down beer fests where homebrew was going to be served, even though passing out samples at these fests has been going on for at least 20 years.  I know.  I was there.  It was my homebrew.  And, whiffs of raids of homebrew club meetings were heard.  The $25 fee you are seeing is to enable beer fests and other similar functions to be able to pass out samples.
      This is not a bad thing - quite the opposite.  It throws the ILCC's erroneous interpretations and throws then right out the window.
      More info available at:
       -Jhondo Oakenshield
      (who has been brewing since before Jimmy Carter made it legal.  oops, did i say that out loud?)

      On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Ryan Pierce <rdpierce@...> wrote:

      Hail and well met!

      I have recently learned of HB0630 which, if adopted, severely impacts home
      brewing within the state of Illinois. It passed the Illinois House 118-0.

      Full text is here:

      Now IANAL, but from what I can gather, if this becomes law:

      Homebrew (including beer, wine, mead, cider, etc.) can only be consumed
      at private residences or private locations and not made available for
      consumption by the general public. This might impact persons bringing
      their own homebrew to wet event sites, serving donated mead at feasts to
      guests or the Royals, or A&S class teachers providing samples to students.

      It creates an exception for a "homebrewer special event permit" for
      competitions or tastings. The language of this is dense, but it seems like
      one must obtain a $25 permit from the state, and each attendee may not
      receive more than 4 ounces of wine or 16 ounces of beer in total.

      Now this bill has not yet passed, it could be amended at any time, and
      I really can't say for sure what it will do. But I think it warrants
      further observation and consideration.

      THL Ryan Murdoch Mackenzie