demo request - Deerpath Middle School, Lake Forest IL

  • marie_la_f
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2 7:50 AM
      Good morning,

      I received a call from a teacher at the middle school not far from my
      office; she is interested in a demo for 6th-graders on Friday, May 31.
      (That's the Friday before Chaos Caravan.) Details below.

      Is anyone interested/available? I already have the afternoon off and
      would be willing to be the point person on coordinating a half-day demo.
      Cheers, Marie
      Nita -- Hello. It was a pleasure talking to you today about setting up a
      Medieval program for the 6th grade at Deerpath Middle School, Lake
      Forest. As we discussed, the teachers focus mostly on Feudalism and
      Life on a Manor when they teach this unit.

      I coordinate the fairs to supplement the childrens' learning experience
      and give them a broader experience then they would get by simply reading
      the textbook. I have done fairs on the Middle East, Asia and Africa for
      the past several years. I am excited to add a Medieval program this
      year.

      The fair is generally a full day event with different presenters in the
      morning and in the afternoon. From 10:10-12:20, we use 3 morning
      presenters who do a 40 minute program 3 times since the grade is divided
      into 3 teams and the teams rotate through the 3 presentations. From
      1:45-2:40, we use 2 presenters who do a 25 minute program 2 times since
      the grade is divided into 2 teams and the team rotate through the 2
      presentations. From 2:45-3:30 we use 1 presenter to do a 45 minute
      wrap up for the entire grade at once. This is usually a "big finale"
      type program.

      You made a number of great suggestions on the phone. The students like
      hands on presentations so getting them to do crafts or other activities
      would be great. The clothing demonstration and the martial activities
      also sounded very interesting.

      Of course, I understand that any presentations you can do are based on
      your members' availability and I would be happy to work around their
      schedules. We can change the number of presentations, timing, etc. to
      work with you. If your members are only available in either the morning
      or the afternoon, we can make it a half day program.

      I do have a stipend that I would give your group to compensate for your
      time since I know that you put a lot of effort into this.

      The date the teachers would like to do the fair is Friday 5/31. Please
      let me know if any of your members are available. If you could let me
      know by next Wed., 5/8, that would be helpful for planning purposes.

      I look forward to hearing from you,
      Martha Avery

      Modern: Nita L. Lewis
      SCA: THL Marie la Fauconniere, CDH, OW, Meadows Herald, Midlands
      Regional Seneschal
      Shire of Ravenslake, Midlands, Kingdom of the Middle
      "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is freedom. In water there is
      bacteria."
    • kevin purtrell
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2 8:38 AM
        I might be available. Are they interested in fencing?

        Kevin Ambrozijwski

[...]

      • kristine petroshius
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2 11:23 AM
          Should be able to help. Very close to work.

          Kristiana

          Sent from my iPhone

        • Diane Dover
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2 12:22 PM
            I probably could assist as well.
            Saraswati

            To: ShireofRavenslake@yahoogroups.com
            CC: ShireofRavenslake@yahoogroups.com; ayreton@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 5 , May 6 9:06 AM
              Good morning, folks,

              Thank you to everyone who has responded! I believe we'll have enough
              people available to do both a morning (10:10am - 12:20pm) and an
              afternoon (1:45pm - 3:30pm) section.

              Please confirm your availability for either or both sessions. (And YES,
              WE CAN STILL USE A FEW MORE PEOPLE TO HELP!)

              Marie: all day - emcee, daily life, heraldry, rapier
              Kristiana: morning - topics?
              Metylda: morning - fiber arts
              Hilla: which session(s)? - music and storytelling
              Anna Rakel (Midlands MoY): which session(s)? - stained glass
              Abbess Katherine: which session(s)?
              Maggie: which session(s)? - games and diversions
              Michael Arendt: which session(s)? - blacksmithing
              Kevin Ambrozijwski: which session(s)? - topics?
              Saraswati: which session(s)? - topics?

              Their usual plan with outside presenters is to do three 40-minute
              sessions in the morning; at that time, the grade is broken into 3
              groups and will cycle through all three presentations. (The kids move,
              not us, so we can set up static displays.) The afternoon is two
              25-minute sessions, then everyone together for a final 45 minutes.
              Their study emphasis has been on feudalism and on "life on the manor".
              A section on "dress the Lady" or "armour the Knight", as well as the
              Who Will Survive? game, would go over well.

              We can do combat so long as we have the appropriate marshal (I've
              already confirmed that our weapons are permitted). It will be in the
              final session (2:45 - 3:30) and weather permitting will be outside.

              I'm meeting with the school's contact person on Wednesday afternoon and
              will find out how many kids to plan for, whether we can buy lunch in
              the cafeteria or will need to make other lunch arrangements, and any
              other needs or restrictions there might be.

              The school is just off Highway 41 in Lake Forest, very easy to get to.
              Thank you, everyone!
              ~Marie