Fw: Fwd:You're Invited - Gaude mater, Polonia: Music from Poland's Golden Age

  • Robyyan Torr d'Elandris
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2013
      This should be a very good and unusual concert.  I'm planning on the Sunday matinee in Evanston.

      - Robyyan

      You're Invited - Gaude mater, Polonia: Music from Poland's Golden Age
      The Newberry Consort Logo
      "the city's flagship early-music ensemble and artistic standard-bearer"
      — John von Rhein, Chicago Tribune
      1568-Pieter-Bruegel-the-Elder-The-Peasant-Dance-Detail-bagpipeWe invite you to Gaude, mater Polonia: Music from Poland's Golden Age, our last concert of the season! If you’ve never heard of Polish composer Wacław z Szamotuł, we’re not surprised – but get ready for a real treat! Tom Zajac

      This concert brings you the gorgeous, rare, and important music of Poland’s great Renaissance composers. Consort favorite, Chicago native and Polish-American, Tom Zajac, leads us in this new repertoire, guaranteed to open your ears to new sounds.

      The program will feature motets by Wacław z Szamotuł, Poland's greatest composer of the mid-16th-century, selections from the Melodie na Psałtery polski of 1580, which contains settings by Mikołaj Gomółka of all 150 psalms with paraphrases by Poland's greatest 16th-century poet, Jan Kochanowski. Also featured are Mass movements from the Missa Pulcherrima (Most Beautiful Mass) by the 17th-century master Bartłomiej Pękiel.

      Featured musicians include soprano Ellen Hargis, David Douglass on violin & viola, Tom Zajac on recorders, flutes, sackbut, bagpipe, pipe & tabor, John Lenti on Renaissance lute & theorbo, Brandi Berry on violin, Jeremy Ward on bass violin, Matthew Dean, tenor, Eric Miranda, bass, Kayleen Sanchez, soprano, and Angela Young Smucker, alto.

      **We're going to be on TV! Tune in for a special segment about the concert and a sneak preview on WTTW's Chicago Tonight on Wednesday, April 10 at 7pm, Channel 11.1.

      Get your tickets now and save!
      Advance tickets for $32 are available to purchase online or by calling 773-669-7335.
      Pre-concert lectures start one hour before each performance.
      Friday, May 3 at 8pm  BUY
      Copernicus Foundation Annex
      5216 W. Lawrence Ave. Chicago (Jefferson Park)

      Saturday, May 4 at 8pm  BUY
      Logan Center for the Arts, University of Chicago
      915 E. 60th St., Hyde Park

      Sunday, May 5 at 3pm  BUY
      Lutkin Hall, Northwestern University
      700 University Pl., Evanston

      Presented in partnership with the Polish Cultural Institute New York.

      Stay tuned for video sneak peeks of Gaude, mater Polonia! For more information about this concert and more, visit newberryconsort.org.
      Like us on Facebook      View our videos on YouTube

      The Newberry Consort
      60 W. Walton St.
      Chicago, Illinois 60610