Re: [Ayreton] 12th Night Laurel Prize Tourney - update!

  • Jen Small
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 20, 2012
      Yes please!!!  Anything is welcome - this is SHOW AND TELL!

      Also, we have another Laurel challenge, from Mistress Jocelyn:
      Best scroll blank inspired by a 12th or 13th century German Manuscript.

      Consider this a call to get scribin'!!

      -G

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 20, 2012
        Question on performance: Will the performer need to sign up for the advertised concert in advance, or these pieces will be performed in a different setting with a day-of sign up or similar?

        Cheers,
        Margretha

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 21, 2012
          We'll do a day-of signup, although I'm glad to know ahead of time what you plan to do.  We'll do the Craftspersons' performance at 2:30, as the Faire and Laurel Prize Tourney wrap up at 3.

          Question on performance: Will the performer need to sign up for the advertised concert in advance, or these pieces will be performed in a different setting with a day-of sign up or similar?

          Cheers,
          Margretha

          The Laurel challenges have started to come in!

          From the event steward: A prize to the best rendering of the Hohenstaufen arms

          From Mistress Gianetta: Most awesome German garb from any time period

          Also from Mistress Gianetta: Best performance piece

          From Master Robyyan: A prize for the thing that, if it were dropped into its correct time and place in history, would attract the least notice because it just fits in.

          And of course an event prize for the best German entry of any sort.

          Participants - let me know you're coming and what you're bringing! Laurels - there's still time to sponsor a challenge - let me know!

          In service,

          --Gianetta

        • Fern
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 28, 2012
            Dear Ayreton people,

            How do I find that fabric place called the Bleachery? How do I spell the name?

            I have visitors this week who want to go fabric shopping, and I think that the Bleachery is the biggest fabric store in Chicago, right? But I don't know its address or phone number.

            Can anyone help me?

            Many thanks!

            Fern
          • James McAdams
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 28, 2012
              On 12/28/2012 10:11 PM, Fern wrote:
              Dear Ayreton people,

              How do I find that fabric place called the Bleachery? How do I spell the name?

              I have visitors this week who want to go fabric shopping, and I think that the Bleachery is the biggest fabric store in Chicago, right? But I don't know its address or phone number.

              Can anyone help me?

              Many thanks!

              Fern

              Greetings,
                  You may have the wrong name.  The Bleachery (now known as Aurora Specialty Textiles - unless it's changed again) is out in Aurora, and has a large selection of industrial remnants that they sell VERY inexpensively.  The selection is limited and you never know what the may or may not have available.  The hours are likewise limited (I think 9-2 M-F last I checked).
                  If indeed it that is what you are looking for - their website is: http://www.auroratextile.com/contactus.htm

              Xavier

            • KCMalone3@aol.com

              Message 7 of 13 , Dec 29, 2012
                Hello Fern,

                The Bleachery is a little seconds shop in Aurora (Aurora Bleachery). It may or may not still be in business -- but it has very little left to sell. The store that is the BIG fabric store in this city is called the Fabric Discount Outlet. It's in Pilsen. They are not open on Saturdays but they are on Sundays. The finest fabric store in Chicago is Fishman's Fabrics (Taylor Street).  It is open Saturday but not Sunday.

                Enjoy,

                Juliana

              • reaneypj@yahoo.com

                  Message 9 of 13 , Dec 29, 2012
                    Hi Fern,

                    Vogue Fabrics is to the north of you in Evanston on Main St. and I think it is open 7 days.

                    Nicholaa

                  • suzanearley@comcast.net
                    Message 10 of 13 , Dec 29, 2012
                      The bleachery is in aurora. It has fabric by the pound for factory odds and ends of fabric that they process.
                      I think what you are looking for is LZ Products, which is the warehouse on Damen and 22nd. That has several floors of fabrics. They also do bulk pricing. Tell them Ghita sent you and you may get some nice prices.

                      Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

                      Message 11 of 13 , Dec 30, 2012
                        Dear All,

                        Thanks for the good advice! I knew I could count on you! Now I can look up the directions/ addresses and we can fit them in to the rest of our itineraries.

                        (We did some "fabric shopping" in my basement last night, too. This means I now have more room for new fabrics!)

                        On a similar topic, can you recommend any favorite thrift stores? Clothes, 50's kitchenware and dishes, vintage jewelry?

                        Many thanks! My sisters are having a great time here! Probably I'll bring one of them to the Baronial meeting tonight.

                        yours,

                        Fern