Traditional Italian Mask Making Workshop

  • Verena Entenwirt
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2012
      In a little over 7 ½ weeks, our Southern Cousins will be hosting their
      annual Crystal Ball. This year’s theme is Germanic Winters Masquerade
      http://www.shatteredcrystal.org/crystalballXXIX.htm

      This is always a fun event with tons of fighting, fencing, music,
      dancing, and terrific food! Here are just a few photos from last
      year’s event (https://picasaweb.google.com/107177881386152930272/CrystalBall2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink)

      In preparation for the event, I will be doing a traditional Italian
      leather mask making workshop from October 3rd – November 21st.

      There are 5 parts to the class, and participants will need to come to
      5 of the 8 (7 to have your mask done by crystal ball) weds night
      practices. The topics covered will include
      Renaissance Mask Techniques
      Historical Mask Designs
      Building & Designing the Mask
      Molding the leather
      Finishing the Edges
      Dyeing/Painting
      Sealing

      Not going to Crystal Ball, but still interested in making a leather
      mask? Don’t worry, it looks like there will be a ball at RUM and at
      the KWCS.

      Thankfully “The temple of the stick” has agreed to share their Weds
      night site with us, which means I can handle FAR more people then I
      would be able to in my little apartment. The workshop will run weds
      from 7:30-8:30 in Jefferson Park area.

      The class fee for the workshop is $35 and will include all the
      supplies needed (molding supplies, leather, and dyes). For those that
      would like to supply their own leather, the workshop fee would be $15
      for the mold and mask making supplies. Though there is no maximum
      number you will need to RSVP for the class, so I can make sure I have
      enough supplies. To reserve your spot, or if you have any question
      please email me at verena@...

      --
      Baroness Verena Entenwirth
      Seneschal, Barony of Ayreton

      www.broomstich.com
    • D'vorah bint Da'ud
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 25, 2012
        On 25 Sep 2012, at 4:17 PM, Verena Entenwirt wrote:

        > In preparation for the event, I will be doing a traditional Italian
        > leather mask making workshop from October 3rd – November 21st.

        This sounds just wonderful! Alas, I won't be here for any of it, given holidays and moving to California. Is there any chance someone on this list might be going, who would consent to videotape the classes and post them on Youtube, so that people living at the edge of the continent could learn from Baroness Verena?
        D'vorah bint Da'ud
        For now: Middle Kingdom, Midlands, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
        Soon: Caid, Gyldenholt (Orange, CA)
        dvorah@...
        http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
        Twitter: @DvorahSCA