(Off topic) Maker Faire

  • Katje Sabin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17 4:26 AM
      (I know this isn't directly involving the SCA, but I believe many in the group would be interested in this event and so I beg your forgiveness if I have overstepped a boundary.)

      I wanted to make sure everyone knew about the first ever Chicago Maker Faire... it's not the full weekend version like in some cities, but rather a one-day "mini" event. I know that MSI will be there, and there will be hand-on demonstrations of lots of things... 3-D scanning, origami, robotics, lockpicking, and (my own contribution) hairbraiding. Advanced tickets are free for kids up to the age of 18, and only $5 for adults ($8 at the door). It's this Saturday, April 21, at Carl Schurz High School (3601 N Milwaukee), from 10-4.

      If you're not familiar with the idea of Makers... well, many in the SCA are terrific Makers. The Maker sensibility encompasses self sufficiency, creative problem solving, analytical thinking, and just plain having fun. Every Maker I've known is an enthusiastic autodidact, thirsty for knowledge and generous with sharing their own.

      Tickets and more information can be found on their website:
      http://makerfairechicagonorthside.com/

      Please pass the word along... see you there!

      Katje