RE: [Ayreton] Looking for Archery Group near Chicago

  • ragnar olafsson
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 18 6:50 PM
      lochlain uses a martin bow which has a cutout for an arrow rest, placing the line of his shot well away from his forearm. his martin bow is a piece of modern archery equipment.Its about as faraway from medieval archery tackle as a Harley Davidson is from a big wheel.Justin is right in regards to an arm guard.An armgurd will protect you from errant bad form and will streamline your clothing,Even a good shot can snag on a loose shirt sleeve i used to shoot a compound bow and at 40 yards  I could get 12 arrows in a 5 inch circle every time.I have been shooting a primitive medieval style bow for 5 years and at 40 yards I'm happy if all the arrows hit the target.Instinctive shooting is whole new animal that takes real dedication.So as far as archery being some cheap summer hobby,well you might like to look elsewhere.maybe you could venture to your local pet store and pickup a cockatiel and claim your taking up falconry,I'm sure that would be well within sca standards.Ta...

      "Sheehan, Justin" <JSHEEHA3@...> wrote:
      With all due respect, I firmly believe that anyone entering into archery should always utilize an arm guard, especially in their novice stages of training. Even the most experienced archers make mistakes, and the end result of a well made bowstring hammering down your open forearm is NOT worth a 15 or 20 dollar savings. Even if you do nothing more than strapping a piece of rawhide onto your forearm when you are learning, use an armguard! I would certainly guess that Lochlainn is very much my senior when it comes to archery, but I've seen some of the hurt that can come from a single careless or poorly formed shot, and (as a person who can and will find something to trip over, stab myself with, or burn myself on in almost any environment, no matter how idiot-proof it might seem) I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

      -Justin
      Archery Novice, Injury Expert