RE: [Ayreton] Looking for Archery Group near Chicago

  • Sheehan, Justin
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 16, 2007
      I'd expect to spend around $250 to jump into archery, maybe less if you can get things made or borrow a bow here and there. Head over to a range and rent some equipment to see if you enjoy the sport. $250 is actually pretty cheap to jump into a sport, and once you get in to it, it can be very zen.

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 17, 2007
        With all due respect, I firmly believe that anyone entering into archery should always utilize an arm guard, especially in their novice stages of training. Even the most experienced archers make mistakes, and the end result of a well made bowstring hammering down your open forearm is NOT worth a 15 or 20 dollar savings. Even if you do nothing more than strapping a piece of rawhide onto your forearm when you are learning, use an armguard! I would certainly guess that Lochlainn is very much my senior when it comes to archery, but I've seen some of the hurt that can come from a single careless or poorly formed shot, and (as a person who can and will find something to trip over, stab myself with, or burn myself on in almost any environment, no matter how idiot-proof it might seem) I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

        -Justin
        Archery Novice, Injury Expert

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 17, 2007
          Lady Eleanor Ravenild,

          As the good Wolfram von Waldersbach has already posted, and I thank him for his efforts as I have been away at Gulf Wars these last 10 days and have been out of touch.  Others have mentioned on other lists about the initial cost of reliable begining gear, so there is no need for me to stir up that discussion on list, but please contact me off list for some links or just general infomation.

          You should find Wolfram and myself on the Archery range, should there be one due to good weather, at the Ayreton event this coming weekend.

          Lord Lord Dougal MacAlister the Tardy
          Archery Marshal of the Province of Tree-Girt-Sea

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 18, 2007
            lochlain uses a martin bow which has a cutout for an arrow rest, placing the line of his shot well away from his forearm. his martin bow is a piece of modern archery equipment.Its about as faraway from medieval archery tackle as a Harley Davidson is from a big wheel.Justin is right in regards to an arm guard.An armgurd will protect you from errant bad form and will streamline your clothing,Even a good shot can snag on a loose shirt sleeve i used to shoot a compound bow and at 40 yards  I could get 12 arrows in a 5 inch circle every time.I have been shooting a primitive medieval style bow for 5 years and at 40 yards I'm happy if all the arrows hit the target.Instinctive shooting is whole new animal that takes real dedication.So as far as archery being some cheap summer hobby,well you might like to look elsewhere.maybe you could venture to your local pet store and pickup a cockatiel and claim your taking up falconry,I'm sure that would be well within sca standards.Ta...

[...]

            AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol. com.

            Be a PS3 game guru.