Re: [Ayreton] Classes and tentative schedule for SCRIBAL DAY OF PLAY, Sunday March 4

  • D'vorah bint al-Attar
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 13, 2012
      Is this a garbed event, or for mundane clothes? Are newbies to the SCA welcome, or should I save those introductions for another event that isn't so focused on just scribal arts?
      D'vorah bint al-Attar
      dvorah@...
      Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
    • Jill Elaine Hughes
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 14, 2012
        This is a garbed event. We can have Gold Key available for newbies. Everyone is welcome! Even if you aren't a scribe/aren't interested in learning, feel free to come to socialize and/or volunteer.
        Mariza

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 24, 2012

          PLEASE FORWARD/CIRCULATE WIDELY!

          UPDATED!  New Info!  More Classes!!! More Activities!!

          Come one, come all to THE SCRIBAL DAY OF PLAY hosted by the Canton of Vanished Wood (Barony of Ayreton) within the territory of our friendly neighbor The Barony of Carriag Ban. This is an event dedicated to the scribal arts.  Scribes of all ages (even beginners) encouraged and welcomed! Non-scribes are also welcome to hang out!

          Also, please note that I, the co-Autocrat/Class Coordinator, Lady Mariza de la Courete, am no longer able to attend the event due to a family emergency. I am continuing to do all pre-event planning/coordination for the scribal activities, but on-site, your main contact will be Mistress Katherine von Schlosservald, OL.  Please do contact me, Lady Mariza, ahead of the event with any questions at jillhughes2@..., and Mistress Katherine at the actual event.

          Event Site:
          1435 Summit Street, Elgin IL 60120, Kathy Freeman Center for Exceptional Care/Little Angels

          Classes And Activities Scheduled So Far for SCRIBAL DAY OF PLAY:
          Sunday, March 4, 2012

          Open Scribal “Play” Table (ALL DAY!), Facilitated by Mistress Bianca Rosamund, OL. Loaner supplies and books will be available for beginners to borrow.

          SCRIBAL MERCHANT AREA: Scribal Supplies as sold by Mistress Ellen of the Scholars, OL. Mistress Ellen and her sister Mistress Mary Buchanan, OP will also be demonstrating scribal skills and answering questions at Mistress Ellen's merchant booth, all day! Learn some valuable tips while you shop for wares! We will also have catalog/info materials (and hopefully, coupons!) from calligraphy/art supply vendors like Dick Blick and others.

          SCRIBAL LIBRARY! Many wonderful books about medieval manuscripts, calligraphy, bookbinding, and more, from the personal collections of Vanished Wood members THL Tym ap Tym, Lady Mariza de la Courete, and more. Attendees can view/peruse the books on-site; some may also be available for "checkout."

          LUNCH: A homemade lunch will be available for purchase.  Smell yummy pasties baking while you make scrolls!

          This event is FREE! Though donations to Little Angels, the host facility, are much appreciated.

          TENTATIVE CLASS SCHEDULE: (Subject to change!)
          9:30 am (2 hours!!) Introduction to Calligraphy
          Covers materials, sources, laying out a scroll blank, and
          learning the basics of at least one "hand." Materials provided for up
          to 6 people ($5 to keep the starter kit) or bring your own dip pen and
          ink (Speedball C-3, C-4, or C-5 nib preferred but we'll work with what
          turns up).
          Taught by THL Marie la Fauconniere, CDH, OW, Meadows Herald

          10:00 am Decorative initials of insular majuscule, the text pages of the Book of Kells.  (1 hour)
          Taught by Lady Kara Atladottir

          1:00 pm Personalizing award scrolls for the recipient. (1 hour)
          Taught by THL Hillary of Langford

          There will also be a SEALING WAX/MAKING WAX SEALS DEMONSTRATION at some point during the day, presented by Dame Jocelyn Lutterworth, OL.  Details to come!

        • Jill Elaine Hughes
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2012
          Attached you'll find the final class schedule for the SCRIBAL DAY OF PLAY, this Sunday, March 4.  We hope to see you there!

          Regretfully, I will not be there because I am dealing with a family emergency out of state. But it has been a pleasure helping to plan this event.  Teachers, attendees, and volunteers, your on-site event contact is Mistress Katherine von Schlosserwald, OL.  Please consult her either on site or ahead of time with any final questions, at knwkfw@....

          YIS,
          Mariza

          Contributing Writer, University of Phoenix Writer Network
          Novelist, Playwright, Journalist

            Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2012
              I believe that outside food and drink ARE permitted.  It is also a wet site.  But as far as Sunday's event goes, direct any site-related questions to Mistress Katherine, kfwknw@... just to be sure.

              Mariza

              Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2012
                oops, typo in the email address, it should be knwkfw@...

                Message 8 of 10 , May 2 11:49 AM
                  Greetings one and all---

                  As one of the co-autocrats of the recent Scribal Day of Play in our Barony of Ayreton, I wanted to pass along that our neighboring barony of Carraig Ban wishes to have their own Scribal Day of Play at their upcoming Ragnorak Rampage, and they requested if possible that some of the teachers we featured at our event recur their roles at their event (event details here: http://www.carraigban.org/event2.html)

                  Our neighboring barony was impressed with our recent scribal event and would like to replicate it within their borders. If you'd like to teach a scribal class at Ragnorak Rampage, please offer your services to the autocrats, whose contact info is on the event page above. It is my understanding they'll accept either the class(es) taught at our event, other new classes, or both.  Just passing along the word!
                  YIS,
                  Mariza de la Courete, APW, OW
                  Vanished Wood Pursuiviant (Outgoing)

                  Message 9 of 10 , May 2 1:18 PM
                    Wouldn't mind at all but am planning on working towards a combat archery that day, so it would have to be during a time that doesn't interfere with that.

                    Ags