Re: [Ayreton] Looking for Archery Group near Chicago

  • AlexdeSet@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
      Greetings!
           If you go to www.ravenslake.com you will find the Shire of Ravenslake's website. You can see our calendar which includes practices and directions to the practices and meetings. We practice outside so it is weather-dependant, but we have archery targets and a net backdrop available at our regular fighter practices. Please call a marshal before coming- sometimes there is a delay in getting the correct information to the website; sometimes the weather changes; sometings stuff just happens.
      Is mise le meas,
      Alexander de Seton, the potentially harmless

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
        Greetings,

        The Thieves of Hearts shoot archery usually on Wednesday or Thursday
        evenings, either at the Bass Pro Shop in Gurnee, or at Archery Custom Shop,
        7240 W Madison, Forest Park 60130. You can check on the Thieves Yahoo list.
        Both places will rent or sell you equipment.

        Kyla of Ravenslake, Midrealm

        I am looking for a new sport for the summer. Archery seems harmless
        enough and hopefully wont kill my wallet too much. Please make
        yourself known to me.

        I believe there is a group I know (terrible with names) from foxlake
        area. I will be at Troll at the Areyton Carnivale event so look for me
        there.

        In Service,

        Lady Eleanor Ravenild

        ~~~~~

        To view and add events to the calendar:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Wolfram von Waldersbach
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
          The Wednesday practice in Forest Park is more or less a general Ayreton
          archery practice, as regulars at that practice feature members from both
          Tree-Girt-Sea and the Grey Gargoyles, as well as some appearances from the
          Thieves.

          While you can get rental gear at Archery Custom Shop, the rental gear is not
          that great. Rental rates are $12/hour if you rent gear, or $8/hour if you
          have your own.

          In Service,

          -Wolfram von Waldersbach
          Sursum ad Summum

          Mortgage refinance is hot 1) Rates near 30-yr lows 2) Good credit get
          intro-rate 4.625%*
          https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2a5f&s=4056&p=5117&disc=y&vers=743
        • James McAdams
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
            ladyscribe07 wrote:

            >Hello,
            >
            >I am looking for a new sport for the summer. Archery seems harmless
            >enough and hopefully wont kill my wallet too much. Please make
            >yourself known to me.

            Depends on your definition of "too much". I haven't checked the
            prices in a few years, so my numbers may be off - but they should be in
            the ballpark.
            A new bow will cost $100 or more. Used ones are out there, once you
            know a few things to avoid.
            Arrows cost $35-50 per dozen. Other equipment (arm guards, glove,
            etc) will cost 20-30 and up (depending on how fancy you want, and what
            items you buy/make)
            Arrows will slowly die or vanish - expect your first set will last a
            year.

            >I believe there is a group I know (terrible with names) from foxlake
            >area. I will be at Troll at the Areyton Carnivale event so look for me
            >there.

            There's several groups, depending on where you're starting from.
            There's been postings of local practices. I host one on Wednesdays in
            Foxvale (Aurora) at an indoor range.

            Xavier
          • Sheehan, Justin
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 16, 2007
              I'd expect to spend around $250 to jump into archery, maybe less if you can get things made or borrow a bow here and there. Head over to a range and rent some equipment to see if you enjoy the sport. $250 is actually pretty cheap to jump into a sport, and once you get in to it, it can be very zen.

              ________________________________

            • MacGregorsCairn@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 16, 2007
                Greetings Lady Eleanor,

                Archery is comparatively less expensive than many of the other activities you could choose to take up in the SCA, however, you get what you pay for. It seems in my checking over the last year that prices have gone up quite a bit from what Xavier remembers of a few years back.

                A new professionally made bow (I shoot Martin's exclusively) will start at about $200 and go up to $500 depending on how much you're willing to spend. If this is something new for you that you're unsure of, ask around. There are a number of folks who have made self-bows (hand-made, wooden bows) that may be willing to part with them or you may find a decent second hand bow from someone who has decided to upgrade to a better (usually, but not always) model. Check around. If you decide to go with a production model there are folks who will help you pick one out in your price range as well. But do keep in mind to check on the experience of any made by an individual from second-hand sources.

                Arrows have gone up dramatically. You may be able to find arrows for $50 or less but chances are they will be carbon or aluminum. SCA wants folks to shoot wood shafts. I make arrows for folks and the cheapest shafts i can find run about half that cost already, not including fletching points glue or the tools required. My shafts are $85/doz but are fully crested and fletched for your heraldic colors. Don't get me wrong, they're not really cheap and I understand people needing to do this hobby on the cheap so the better investment is a good bow that you like. my arrows are just an extra bit of color. All the same, I think you'll still spend over $50 on arrows.

                Other than that, all you really need is a glove. Arms guards (IMHO) are for folks with bad form. A Glove will run about $15 so you're going to spend a minimum of $250 without compromising too much quality and some time looking for things.

                On a lighter note, most groups have loaner arrows and some have bows for others use, so don't be disappointed! Usually, just show up to a practice and borrow gear until you can afford everything you need.

                Our practices in Foxlake area should be starting up soon with the weather now turning nicer. They are every saturday (weather and event dependant) and we try to keep the web-site updated from week to week. We do have plenty of arrows for use but at the moment do not have any shire owned bows. Most folks are willing to loan their bows to folks as well. This is a good way to get started.

                Hope this helps.

                ~Lochlainn
                A&S Faire Steward for Ayretonfest
                Ravenslake Field Archery Marshall

                **************************************
              • MacGregorsCairn@aol.com

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 17, 2007
                    With all due respect, I firmly believe that anyone entering into archery should always utilize an arm guard, especially in their novice stages of training. Even the most experienced archers make mistakes, and the end result of a well made bowstring hammering down your open forearm is NOT worth a 15 or 20 dollar savings. Even if you do nothing more than strapping a piece of rawhide onto your forearm when you are learning, use an armguard! I would certainly guess that Lochlainn is very much my senior when it comes to archery, but I've seen some of the hurt that can come from a single careless or poorly formed shot, and (as a person who can and will find something to trip over, stab myself with, or burn myself on in almost any environment, no matter how idiot-proof it might seem) I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

                    -Justin
                    Archery Novice, Injury Expert

                    ________________________________

[...]

                    AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol.com
                  • Dougal MacAlister
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 17, 2007
                      Lady Eleanor Ravenild,

                      As the good Wolfram von Waldersbach has already posted, and I thank him for his efforts as I have been away at Gulf Wars these last 10 days and have been out of touch.  Others have mentioned on other lists about the initial cost of reliable begining gear, so there is no need for me to stir up that discussion on list, but please contact me off list for some links or just general infomation.

                      You should find Wolfram and myself on the Archery range, should there be one due to good weather, at the Ayreton event this coming weekend.

                      Lord Lord Dougal MacAlister the Tardy
                      Archery Marshal of the Province of Tree-Girt-Sea

                      The Wednesday practice in Forest Park is more or less a general Ayreton
                      archery practice, as regulars at that practice feature members from both
                      Tree-Girt-Sea and the Grey Gargoyles, as well as some appearances from the
                      Thieves.

                      While you can get rental gear at Archery Custom Shop, the rental gear is not
                      that great. Rental rates are $12/hour if you rent gear, or $8/hour if you
                      have your own.

                      In Service,

                      -Wolfram von Waldersbach
                      Sursum ad Summum

                      Mortgage refinance is hot 1) Rates near 30-yr lows 2) Good credit get
                      intro-rate 4.625%*
                      https://www2. nextag.com/ goto.jsp? product=10000003 5&url=%2fst. jsp&tm=y& search=mortgage_ text_links_ 88_h2a5f& s=4056&p= 5117&disc= y&vers=743

                      Get your own web address.
                    • ragnar olafsson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 18, 2007
                        lochlain uses a martin bow which has a cutout for an arrow rest, placing the line of his shot well away from his forearm. his martin bow is a piece of modern archery equipment.Its about as faraway from medieval archery tackle as a Harley Davidson is from a big wheel.Justin is right in regards to an arm guard.An armgurd will protect you from errant bad form and will streamline your clothing,Even a good shot can snag on a loose shirt sleeve i used to shoot a compound bow and at 40 yards  I could get 12 arrows in a 5 inch circle every time.I have been shooting a primitive medieval style bow for 5 years and at 40 yards I'm happy if all the arrows hit the target.Instinctive shooting is whole new animal that takes real dedication.So as far as archery being some cheap summer hobby,well you might like to look elsewhere.maybe you could venture to your local pet store and pickup a cockatiel and claim your taking up falconry,I'm sure that would be well within sca standards.Ta...

[...]

                        AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol. com.

                        Be a PS3 game guru.