Re: [Ayreton] Re: Midrealm Scroll Blank and Scroll Case Challenge

  • Ian Green
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 18 1:06 PM
      That is the correct information. Hi Majesty in my estimation is over six feet tall.

      Is that number of scroll cases needed?  Depends on how you wish to define need vs want.  There was a time in the Midrealm that every scroll that was given out went with a scroll case.  Now, you have to ask for it and hope that there is one left for your scroll.  At any given court 5 awards up to 25 awards can be given out  Do this two to three times a month averaging about 15 scrolls a court and by the end of one month you have given out 30-45 scrolls and potentially scroll cases.  Multiply this by six months of their Majesties reign and that comes out to about 180 to 270 scrolls and potentially scroll cases.  Just some rough math on my part using memory not checking the actually stats.

      Scroll cases, and for that matter scrolls, are not a requirement or a need.  The scroll is a nice tangible reminder and display piece showing people you have received and award or been admitted into an order.  The scroll case is what will protect the scroll on the ride home.  I know that I have treasured being able to have a scroll case to protect the scrolls I have received at court.  More are always appreciated.

      For those who wish to know more about how to make a scroll case, essentially the pattern for a scroll case is that of a book cover and you can find patterns for those on the internet rather easily.

      http://sewing.about.com/library/sewnews/archives/aabookcover.htm

      http://www.craftpassion.com/2010/08/sewing-note-book-cover-tutorial-pattern.html

      http://www.ehow.com/how_7694342_sew-book-cover-pattern.html

      Of course there is the scroll case page part of this challenge as well:

      https://sites.google.com/site/ianthegreen01/midrealm-scroll-blank-challenge/midrealm-scroll-case-challenge

      Yours in service to Midrealm,

      Ian the Green

      On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 2:21 PM, anthony_satoh <anthony_satoh@...> wrote:

      I have a question regarding the following portion of the post:

      > The challenge is to create a pile of scroll cases as tall as His Majesty and I have no doubt that the good populace of the Middle Kingdom can meet this challenge and perhaps even exceed it.

      Is that right? I started making some of these cases and based on the thickness of the ones I have so far, this will result in A LOT of cases? Unless His Majesty is also the mayor of munchin land, there will be a ton of scroll cases. What is the realistic number of scroll cases which is actually needed?

      -Ercc

      --
      Yours In Service,

      Lord Ian the Green

    • Anthony Satoh
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 18 1:20 PM
        OK.  Just wanted to make sure.  I guess that math sound about right and that is in fact a LOT of cases.
        I cut out blanks for 30 scroll cases and they don't even come up to 12 inches.  When I looked at that it just seemed odd.
        Wanted to make sure before I put them together.

        Thanks for the info.

        -Ercc

        To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
        From: ianthegreen01@...
        Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 16:06:43 -0500
        Subject: Re: [Ayreton] Re: Midrealm Scroll Blank and Scroll Case Challenge

        That is the correct information. Hi Majesty in my estimation is over six feet tall.

        Is that number of scroll cases needed?  Depends on how you wish to define need vs want.  There was a time in the Midrealm that every scroll that was given out went with a scroll case.  Now, you have to ask for it and hope that there is one left for your scroll.  At any given court 5 awards up to 25 awards can be given out  Do this two to three times a month averaging about 15 scrolls a court and by the end of one month you have given out 30-45 scrolls and potentially scroll cases.  Multiply this by six months of their Majesties reign and that comes out to about 180 to 270 scrolls and potentially scroll cases.  Just some rough math on my part using memory not checking the actually stats.

        Scroll cases, and for that matter scrolls, are not a requirement or a need.  The scroll is a nice tangible reminder and display piece showing people you have received and award or been admitted into an order.  The scroll case is what will protect the scroll on the ride home.  I know that I have treasured being able to have a scroll case to protect the scrolls I have received at court.  More are always appreciated.

        For those who wish to know more about how to make a scroll case, essentially the pattern for a scroll case is that of a book cover and you can find patterns for those on the internet rather easily.

        http://sewing.about.com/library/sewnews/archives/aabookcover.htm

        http://www.craftpassion.com/2010/08/sewing-note-book-cover-tutorial-pattern.html

        http://www.ehow.com/how_7694342_sew-book-cover-pattern.html

        Of course there is the scroll case page part of this challenge as well:

        https://sites.google.com/site/ianthegreen01/midrealm-scroll-blank-challenge/midrealm-scroll-case-challenge

        Yours in service to Midrealm,

        Ian the Green

        On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 2:21 PM, anthony_satoh <anthony_satoh@...> wrote:

        I have a question regarding the following portion of the post:

        > The challenge is to create a pile of scroll cases as tall as His Majesty and I have no doubt that the good populace of the Middle Kingdom can meet this challenge and perhaps even exceed it.

        Is that right? I started making some of these cases and based on the thickness of the ones I have so far, this will result in A LOT of cases? Unless His Majesty is also the mayor of munchin land, there will be a ton of scroll cases. What is the realistic number of scroll cases which is actually needed?

        -Ercc

        --
        Yours In Service,

        Lord Ian the Green

      • Justice Napier
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 18 1:58 PM
          Sorry, when I put that out there I thought I recalled Ayerton doing this by themselves once before.  And depending on the material used, most are made from cardboard, but some used thicker/sturdier materials too (which do make nicer and longer lasting scroll cases).

          And they wouldn't have to be new scroll cases, if the members of the populous that have scroll cases at home that they transported their scroll home in just sitting around, please bring them back so we can get them to the signets/scribes to be re-used.  This is a good thing and I would count a returned scroll case to the height-challenge.

          YIS,

          Lord Justice McArtain
          Dragon Signet

          Protege to Mistress Elena de Vexin
          Student to Mistress Angharad Rhos Tewdwr of Pembroke

          MKA Justice Napier Jr

          To: ayreton@yahoogroups.com

          From: ianthegreen01@...
          Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 16:06:43 -0500

          That is the correct information. Hi Majesty in my estimation is over six feet tall.

          Is that number of scroll cases needed?  Depends on how you wish to define need vs want.  There was a time in the Midrealm that every scroll that was given out went with a scroll case.  Now, you have to ask for it and hope that there is one left for your scroll.  At any given court 5 awards up to 25 awards can be given out  Do this two to three times a month averaging about 15 scrolls a court and by the end of one month you have given out 30-45 scrolls and potentially scroll cases.  Multiply this by six months of their Majesties reign and that comes out to about 180 to 270 scrolls and potentially scroll cases.  Just some rough math on my part using memory not checking the actually stats.

          Scroll cases, and for that matter scrolls, are not a requirement or a need.  The scroll is a nice tangible reminder and display piece showing people you have received and award or been admitted into an order.  The scroll case is what will protect the scroll on the ride home.  I know that I have treasured being able to have a scroll case to protect the scrolls I have received at court.  More are always appreciated.

          For those who wish to know more about how to make a scroll case, essentially the pattern for a scroll case is that of a book cover and you can find patterns for those on the internet rather easily.

          http://sewing.about.com/library/sewnews/archives/aabookcover.htm

          http://www.craftpassion.com/2010/08/sewing-note-book-cover-tutorial-pattern.html

          http://www.ehow.com/how_7694342_sew-book-cover-pattern.html

          Of course there is the scroll case page part of this challenge as well:

          https://sites.google.com/site/ianthegreen01/midrealm-scroll-blank-challenge/midrealm-scroll-case-challenge

          Yours in service to Midrealm,

          Ian the Green

          On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 2:21 PM, anthony_satoh <anthony_satoh@...> wrote:

          I have a question regarding the following portion of the post:

          > The challenge is to create a pile of scroll cases as tall as His Majesty and I have no doubt that the good populace of the Middle Kingdom can meet this challenge and perhaps even exceed it.

          Is that right? I started making some of these cases and based on the thickness of the ones I have so far, this will result in A LOT of cases? Unless His Majesty is also the mayor of munchin land, there will be a ton of scroll cases. What is the realistic number of scroll cases which is actually needed?

          -Ercc

          --
          Yours In Service,

          Lord Ian the Green

        • Kelli
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 18 7:11 PM
            It really depends on the material used as far as thickness is
            concerned. I would imagine that the number needed to be as tall as His
            Majesty is closer to 300. Realistically I think if the cases given out
            were simply returned it could be done. However to answer the question,
            3 courts a month at least 10+ scrolls given out at each, 30*12 = 360
            for a year...Probably underestimated.... Or people could return
            them...just sayin' ;-)

            On 11/18/11, Seamus MacBain <seamus@...> wrote:
            > On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM, anthony_satoh
            > <anthony_satoh@...> wrote:
            >> Is that right? I started making some of these cases and based on the
            >> thickness of the ones I have so far, this will result in A LOT of cases?
            >> Unless His Majesty is also the mayor of munchin land, there will be a ton
            >> of scroll cases. What is the realistic number of scroll cases which is
            >> actually needed?
            >>
            >> -Ercc
            > -------------------------
            > A 6 foot tall king would be what... 72 inches, scroll cases are ~0.5
            > inches tall (is that too much?) ... so that would be 144 cases?
            > Kingdom wide that shouldn't be impossible unless I have drastically
            > over estimated the thickness of the cases.
            >
            > We could always pad the height a bit with some 3/4inch plywood scroll cases
            > :)
            >
            > --
            > Seamus

          • Amy Gibbons
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 19 8:08 AM
              I have been reading this stuff about scroll blanks, which I am not experienced at all in doing, and scroll cases which I think I could do.  How do you make a scroll case?  Brigitte of Ravenslake/  Amy

              It really depends on the material used as far as thickness is
              concerned. I would imagine that the number needed to be as tall as His
              Majesty is closer to 300. Realistically I think if the cases given out
              were simply returned it could be done. However to answer the question,
              3 courts a month at least 10+ scrolls given out at each, 30*12 = 360
              for a year...Probably underestimated.... Or people could return
              them...just sayin' ;-)

              On 11/18/11, Seamus MacBain <seamus@...> wrote:
              > On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM, anthony_satoh
              > <anthony_satoh@...> wrote:
              >> Is that right? I started making some of these cases and based on the
              >> thickness of the ones I have so far, this will result in A LOT of cases?
              >> Unless His Majesty is also the mayor of munchin land, there will be a ton
              >> of scroll cases. What is the realistic number of scroll cases which is
              >> actually needed?
              >>
              >> -Ercc
              > -------------------------
              > A 6 foot tall king would be what... 72 inches, scroll cases are ~0.5
              > inches tall (is that too much?) ... so that would be 144 cases?
              > Kingdom wide that shouldn't be impossible unless I have drastically
              > over estimated the thickness of the cases.
              >
              > We could always pad the height a bit with some 3/4inch plywood scroll cases
              > :)
              >
              > --
              > Seamus

            • Ian Green
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 19 9:52 AM
                Scroll case directions though these are not the only ones.

                --
                Yours In Service,

                Lord Ian the Green

              • Fern
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 19 3:04 PM
                  Dear Ayreton,

                  The last time Ayreton (actually, it was "pre-barony") provided scrollcases, we used the phrase "as high as the thrones". That was about 4 ft high, and we succeeded by making 250 scrollcases.

                  As a matter of fact, 250 wasn't quite enough. the final scrollcase was placed standing up, to give us the last six inches that we needed.

                  However, since Ayreton is only one of the19 baronies contributing to this scroll/ scrollcase challenge, I suspect that 50 would be a substantial pile.

                  I will be making scrollcases as my contribution. Good luck to all!

                  yours,

                  Fern

                  From: ianthegreen01@...
                  Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 16:06:43 -0500