Midrealm Scroll Blank and Scroll Case Challenge

  • Dave Roland
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 15, 2011
      Greetings unto you from Lord Ian the Green,

      The Scribes of the Middle Kingdom are as honorable as they are creative and skilled and so with heart brought heavy by a need I write to you. The scroll blanks in the reserves of our regional signets and the Dragon Signet run dangerously low. Always have the artists and illuminators of the Middle Kingdom been making these needed scroll blanks for calligraphers to finish at Their Majesties need. The preparations and fighting of wars to keep our borders secure made it necessary to put away the pass times of peace but now in what respite we may have, our attention can, nay will, turn again to the pursuits best done in the absence of war.

      The cry of, "Challenge," has been given so that the crown may be resplendent in the good works of our artists and illuminators. Challenge! was the cry and so it shall be answered. Pray you, take out the dusty box of paints, pigments and paintbrushes and make beautiful scroll blanks worthy of their Dragon Majesties!

      You can find more information on this noble, worthy and honorable challenge here:

      https://sites.google.com/site/ianthegreen01/midrealm-scroll-blank-challenge

      You may have seen the missive that came from the Dragon Signet in the November Pale mentioning the need. Pray you, help fulfill it with good works, for the need is for scroll blanks worthy of the Crown to give them out.

      If your skills are not with paint, pigment and brush but is instead with fiber arts we have need of your skills as well. Court scrolls need good protection on what can be the perilous journey back to one's abode. Scroll cases provide this protection and does so well. These are simple things to make but the need for them is as great as the task is simple. Never made one before? Fear not a tutorial is available here:

      https://sites.google.com/site/ianthegreen01/midrealm-scroll-blank-challenge/midrealm-scroll-case-challenge

      The challenge is to create a pile of scroll cases as tall as His Majesty and I have no doubt that the good populace of the Middle Kingdom can meet this challenge and perhaps even exceed it.

      Populace of the Dragon, Populace of the Midrealm, we have until St. Valentines Day Massacre and Tournament of Chivalry on February 11 AS 46 (2012) to meet this challenge and I know we can do it! Entries can be turned in there. If you can not come fear not, send it with someone who is coming in your name and you will receive the proper credit for it.
    • anthony_satoh
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 18, 2011
        I have a question regarding the following portion of the post:
        > The challenge is to create a pile of scroll cases as tall as His Majesty and I have no doubt that the good populace of the Middle Kingdom can meet this challenge and perhaps even exceed it.

        Is that right? I started making some of these cases and based on the thickness of the ones I have so far, this will result in A LOT of cases? Unless His Majesty is also the mayor of munchin land, there will be a ton of scroll cases. What is the realistic number of scroll cases which is actually needed?

        -Ercc
      • Seamus MacBain
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 18, 2011
          On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM, anthony_satoh
          <anthony_satoh@...> wrote:
          > Is that right? I started making some of these cases and based on the thickness of the ones I have so far, this will result in A LOT of cases? Unless His Majesty is also the mayor of munchin land, there will be a ton of scroll cases. What is the realistic number of scroll cases which is actually needed?
          >
          > -Ercc
          -------------------------
          A 6 foot tall king would be what... 72 inches, scroll cases are ~0.5
          inches tall (is that too much?) ... so that would be 144 cases?
          Kingdom wide that shouldn't be impossible unless I have drastically
          over estimated the thickness of the cases.

          We could always pad the height a bit with some 3/4inch plywood scroll cases :)

          --
          Seamus
        • Ian Green
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 18, 2011
            That is the correct information. Hi Majesty in my estimation is over six feet tall.

            Is that number of scroll cases needed?  Depends on how you wish to define need vs want.  There was a time in the Midrealm that every scroll that was given out went with a scroll case.  Now, you have to ask for it and hope that there is one left for your scroll.  At any given court 5 awards up to 25 awards can be given out  Do this two to three times a month averaging about 15 scrolls a court and by the end of one month you have given out 30-45 scrolls and potentially scroll cases.  Multiply this by six months of their Majesties reign and that comes out to about 180 to 270 scrolls and potentially scroll cases.  Just some rough math on my part using memory not checking the actually stats.

            Scroll cases, and for that matter scrolls, are not a requirement or a need.  The scroll is a nice tangible reminder and display piece showing people you have received and award or been admitted into an order.  The scroll case is what will protect the scroll on the ride home.  I know that I have treasured being able to have a scroll case to protect the scrolls I have received at court.  More are always appreciated.

            For those who wish to know more about how to make a scroll case, essentially the pattern for a scroll case is that of a book cover and you can find patterns for those on the internet rather easily.

            http://sewing.about.com/library/sewnews/archives/aabookcover.htm

            http://www.craftpassion.com/2010/08/sewing-note-book-cover-tutorial-pattern.html

            http://www.ehow.com/how_7694342_sew-book-cover-pattern.html

            Of course there is the scroll case page part of this challenge as well:

            https://sites.google.com/site/ianthegreen01/midrealm-scroll-blank-challenge/midrealm-scroll-case-challenge

            Yours in service to Midrealm,

            Ian the Green

            On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 2:21 PM, anthony_satoh <anthony_satoh@...> wrote:

            I have a question regarding the following portion of the post:

            > The challenge is to create a pile of scroll cases as tall as His Majesty and I have no doubt that the good populace of the Middle Kingdom can meet this challenge and perhaps even exceed it.

            Is that right? I started making some of these cases and based on the thickness of the ones I have so far, this will result in A LOT of cases? Unless His Majesty is also the mayor of munchin land, there will be a ton of scroll cases. What is the realistic number of scroll cases which is actually needed?

            -Ercc

            --
            Yours In Service,

            Lord Ian the Green

          • Anthony Satoh
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 18, 2011
              OK.  Just wanted to make sure.  I guess that math sound about right and that is in fact a LOT of cases.
              I cut out blanks for 30 scroll cases and they don't even come up to 12 inches.  When I looked at that it just seemed odd.
              Wanted to make sure before I put them together.

              Thanks for the info.

              -Ercc

              To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
              From: ianthegreen01@...
              Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 16:06:43 -0500
              Subject: Re: [Ayreton] Re: Midrealm Scroll Blank and Scroll Case Challenge

              That is the correct information. Hi Majesty in my estimation is over six feet tall.

              Is that number of scroll cases needed?  Depends on how you wish to define need vs want.  There was a time in the Midrealm that every scroll that was given out went with a scroll case.  Now, you have to ask for it and hope that there is one left for your scroll.  At any given court 5 awards up to 25 awards can be given out  Do this two to three times a month averaging about 15 scrolls a court and by the end of one month you have given out 30-45 scrolls and potentially scroll cases.  Multiply this by six months of their Majesties reign and that comes out to about 180 to 270 scrolls and potentially scroll cases.  Just some rough math on my part using memory not checking the actually stats.

              Scroll cases, and for that matter scrolls, are not a requirement or a need.  The scroll is a nice tangible reminder and display piece showing people you have received and award or been admitted into an order.  The scroll case is what will protect the scroll on the ride home.  I know that I have treasured being able to have a scroll case to protect the scrolls I have received at court.  More are always appreciated.

              For those who wish to know more about how to make a scroll case, essentially the pattern for a scroll case is that of a book cover and you can find patterns for those on the internet rather easily.

              http://sewing.about.com/library/sewnews/archives/aabookcover.htm

              http://www.craftpassion.com/2010/08/sewing-note-book-cover-tutorial-pattern.html

              http://www.ehow.com/how_7694342_sew-book-cover-pattern.html

              Of course there is the scroll case page part of this challenge as well:

              https://sites.google.com/site/ianthegreen01/midrealm-scroll-blank-challenge/midrealm-scroll-case-challenge

              Yours in service to Midrealm,

              Ian the Green

              On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 2:21 PM, anthony_satoh <anthony_satoh@...> wrote:

              I have a question regarding the following portion of the post:

              > The challenge is to create a pile of scroll cases as tall as His Majesty and I have no doubt that the good populace of the Middle Kingdom can meet this challenge and perhaps even exceed it.

              Is that right? I started making some of these cases and based on the thickness of the ones I have so far, this will result in A LOT of cases? Unless His Majesty is also the mayor of munchin land, there will be a ton of scroll cases. What is the realistic number of scroll cases which is actually needed?

              -Ercc

              --
              Yours In Service,

              Lord Ian the Green

            • Justice Napier
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 18, 2011
                Sorry, when I put that out there I thought I recalled Ayerton doing this by themselves once before.  And depending on the material used, most are made from cardboard, but some used thicker/sturdier materials too (which do make nicer and longer lasting scroll cases).

                And they wouldn't have to be new scroll cases, if the members of the populous that have scroll cases at home that they transported their scroll home in just sitting around, please bring them back so we can get them to the signets/scribes to be re-used.  This is a good thing and I would count a returned scroll case to the height-challenge.

                YIS,

                Lord Justice McArtain
                Dragon Signet

                Protege to Mistress Elena de Vexin
                Student to Mistress Angharad Rhos Tewdwr of Pembroke

                MKA Justice Napier Jr

                To: ayreton@yahoogroups.com

                From: ianthegreen01@...
                Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 16:06:43 -0500

                That is the correct information. Hi Majesty in my estimation is over six feet tall.

                Is that number of scroll cases needed?  Depends on how you wish to define need vs want.  There was a time in the Midrealm that every scroll that was given out went with a scroll case.  Now, you have to ask for it and hope that there is one left for your scroll.  At any given court 5 awards up to 25 awards can be given out  Do this two to three times a month averaging about 15 scrolls a court and by the end of one month you have given out 30-45 scrolls and potentially scroll cases.  Multiply this by six months of their Majesties reign and that comes out to about 180 to 270 scrolls and potentially scroll cases.  Just some rough math on my part using memory not checking the actually stats.

                Scroll cases, and for that matter scrolls, are not a requirement or a need.  The scroll is a nice tangible reminder and display piece showing people you have received and award or been admitted into an order.  The scroll case is what will protect the scroll on the ride home.  I know that I have treasured being able to have a scroll case to protect the scrolls I have received at court.  More are always appreciated.

                For those who wish to know more about how to make a scroll case, essentially the pattern for a scroll case is that of a book cover and you can find patterns for those on the internet rather easily.

                http://sewing.about.com/library/sewnews/archives/aabookcover.htm

                http://www.craftpassion.com/2010/08/sewing-note-book-cover-tutorial-pattern.html

                http://www.ehow.com/how_7694342_sew-book-cover-pattern.html

                Of course there is the scroll case page part of this challenge as well:

                https://sites.google.com/site/ianthegreen01/midrealm-scroll-blank-challenge/midrealm-scroll-case-challenge

                Yours in service to Midrealm,

                Ian the Green

                On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 2:21 PM, anthony_satoh <anthony_satoh@...> wrote:

                I have a question regarding the following portion of the post:

                > The challenge is to create a pile of scroll cases as tall as His Majesty and I have no doubt that the good populace of the Middle Kingdom can meet this challenge and perhaps even exceed it.

                Is that right? I started making some of these cases and based on the thickness of the ones I have so far, this will result in A LOT of cases? Unless His Majesty is also the mayor of munchin land, there will be a ton of scroll cases. What is the realistic number of scroll cases which is actually needed?

                -Ercc

                --
                Yours In Service,

                Lord Ian the Green

              • Kelli
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 18, 2011
                  It really depends on the material used as far as thickness is
                  concerned. I would imagine that the number needed to be as tall as His
                  Majesty is closer to 300. Realistically I think if the cases given out
                  were simply returned it could be done. However to answer the question,
                  3 courts a month at least 10+ scrolls given out at each, 30*12 = 360
                  for a year...Probably underestimated.... Or people could return
                  them...just sayin' ;-)

                  On 11/18/11, Seamus MacBain <seamus@...> wrote:
                  > On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM, anthony_satoh
                  > <anthony_satoh@...> wrote:
                  >> Is that right? I started making some of these cases and based on the
                  >> thickness of the ones I have so far, this will result in A LOT of cases?
                  >> Unless His Majesty is also the mayor of munchin land, there will be a ton
                  >> of scroll cases. What is the realistic number of scroll cases which is
                  >> actually needed?
                  >>
                  >> -Ercc
                  > -------------------------
                  > A 6 foot tall king would be what... 72 inches, scroll cases are ~0.5
                  > inches tall (is that too much?) ... so that would be 144 cases?
                  > Kingdom wide that shouldn't be impossible unless I have drastically
                  > over estimated the thickness of the cases.
                  >
                  > We could always pad the height a bit with some 3/4inch plywood scroll cases
                  > :)
                  >
                  > --
                  > Seamus

                • Amy Gibbons
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 19, 2011
                    I have been reading this stuff about scroll blanks, which I am not experienced at all in doing, and scroll cases which I think I could do.  How do you make a scroll case?  Brigitte of Ravenslake/  Amy

                    It really depends on the material used as far as thickness is
                    concerned. I would imagine that the number needed to be as tall as His
                    Majesty is closer to 300. Realistically I think if the cases given out
                    were simply returned it could be done. However to answer the question,
                    3 courts a month at least 10+ scrolls given out at each, 30*12 = 360
                    for a year...Probably underestimated.... Or people could return
                    them...just sayin' ;-)

                    On 11/18/11, Seamus MacBain <seamus@...> wrote:
                    > On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM, anthony_satoh
                    > <anthony_satoh@...> wrote:
                    >> Is that right? I started making some of these cases and based on the
                    >> thickness of the ones I have so far, this will result in A LOT of cases?
                    >> Unless His Majesty is also the mayor of munchin land, there will be a ton
                    >> of scroll cases. What is the realistic number of scroll cases which is
                    >> actually needed?
                    >>
                    >> -Ercc
                    > -------------------------
                    > A 6 foot tall king would be what... 72 inches, scroll cases are ~0.5
                    > inches tall (is that too much?) ... so that would be 144 cases?
                    > Kingdom wide that shouldn't be impossible unless I have drastically
                    > over estimated the thickness of the cases.
                    >
                    > We could always pad the height a bit with some 3/4inch plywood scroll cases
                    > :)
                    >
                    > --
                    > Seamus

                  • Ian Green
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 19, 2011
                      Scroll case directions though these are not the only ones.

                      --
                      Yours In Service,

                      Lord Ian the Green

                    • Fern
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 19, 2011
                        Dear Ayreton,

                        The last time Ayreton (actually, it was "pre-barony") provided scrollcases, we used the phrase "as high as the thrones". That was about 4 ft high, and we succeeded by making 250 scrollcases.

                        As a matter of fact, 250 wasn't quite enough. the final scrollcase was placed standing up, to give us the last six inches that we needed.

                        However, since Ayreton is only one of the19 baronies contributing to this scroll/ scrollcase challenge, I suspect that 50 would be a substantial pile.

                        I will be making scrollcases as my contribution. Good luck to all!

                        yours,

                        Fern

                        From: ianthegreen01@...
                        Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 16:06:43 -0500