"Learn to Nalbind Kits" and "Learn Norse Surface Treatment Kits" available at Crown Tourney (and on the Train)

  • Verena Entenwirt
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2011

      Want to learn a new skill? Want to work on a project during Crown? Want to keep your hands busy while watching the exciting tournament between combatants?

      In honor of Their Royal Majesties, you should try your hand at one of two different Norse Skills.

      The first is Nalbinding. Nalbinding (pronounced nawl-bihn-ding) can be seen as the predecessor to knitting or crochet and is sometimes called "knotless knitting," or "single needle knitting”. You use a single needle (slightly larger then a tapestry needle) to create loops out of a single length of yarn. Nalbinding is not only period, but also still practiced in many Scandinavian countries. It is a great way to make hats, socks, and mittens for your persona. The “Learn to Nalbind Kit” includes a nalbinding needle, instructions, and yarn to make nalbound mini drawstring bags (perfect for that Viking loot or treasure)

      The second skill is called decorative seam treatment, or surface embroidery. This form of decoration was used to enclose seams (to help prevent fraying) and to add stability and ornamentation to the garment. This kit includes a pre-sewn linen Norse woman’s hood, instructions for 3 different types of Norse Seam Treatments, needle, thread, and wax.

      Both kits are free, and I would be more then happy to sit with anyone needing an additional demonstration.

      Refills for the kits (additional yarn, hoods, ext) are also available for anyone who turns in a completed nalbound bag or decorative hood which can be collected for TRM largess.

      In addition, Intermediate Kits (Hat making for the Nallbinding Kits, and Couching for the Seam Treatment Kit) will be available soon for those people who have turned in at least one finished project for the largess collection.

      I will have all the nalbinding kits with me at Crown, as they are easy to pack. The surface treatment kit is slightly larger, so I will have a limited supply; please email me if you would like one.

      Once again these are free and available on a first come first serve basis. I would like to thank Svein and Maive for helping make the wool nalbinding needles for the nalbinding kits (wooden nalbinding needles start at around $10, so there generosity is amazing)

      --
      Lady Verena Entenwirth
      Midlands Regional A&S Champion