Activities for New People at this weekend's upcoming Carnivale.

  • Verena Entenwirt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2011
      Recently we have been doing a lot of demos, and hopefully our numbers
      have been growing. One of the hardest things at events is to find
      enough engaging things for new people (who are not yet equipped or
      authorized to do other things). Therefore at Carnivale this weekend,
      we will have a full set of activities aimed at keeping those new to
      the SCA engaged.

      These activities include a scavenger-hunt in the site booklet, where
      they are encouraged to get signatures from different types of people
      (Marshals, Knights, Squires, Archers, Cooks, Warders, ext.), as well
      as an SCA themed trivia game. Completed entries will be entered into a
      prize drawing to be awarded that evening*.

      If you have any new members, or people interested in the SCA, please
      encourage them to attend the Carnivale event. Please also be aware
      that there will be extra new people at the event, and that they might
      be coming up to you for an introduction and a signature.

      At the event there will also be authorizations for rapier, combat
      archery, and armored combat. This is the second to last event you can
      authorize at, for those that want to fight at Pennsic.

      Finally, if anyone has spare tokens, favors, beads or the like- this
      would be a great opportunity to give out tokens of appreciation to new
      people, rapier fighters showing prowess for the Baronial Championship
      position, newly authorized fighters, and the like. These are great to
      collect and to use within your “culture” box.

      --
      Lady Verena Entenwirth
      Carnivale Autocrat

      * Competition is open to anyone who has been playing for 2 years or
      less, or who plays occasionally and does not have any SCA awards.
      ** Donations are being accepted for the prize drawing. We are looking
      for items that would be beneficial to new members. Please email me off
      list for more details.
    • Verena Entenwirt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2011
        As of this morning, I have been contacted by at least 10 new people
        about coming to Ayreton (woo hoo).

        If you are a chatelaine of one of the cantons, I really recommend
        coming and taking part in the afternoon session of the New Persons
        Round table Discussion (Khara is making us cookies). This way, we can
        make sure that all the new people get all the necessary information to
        continue playing with their local groups (I also included a local
        group directory on the back of the site books).

        As previously mentioned, please also be aware that there will be extra
        new people at the event, and that they might be coming up to you for
        an introduction and a signature.

        If anyone has any questions about the upcoming event, feel free to
        email me at verena@...

        Thanks!

        --
        Lady Verena Entenwirth
        Ayreton Carnivale Autocrat
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2011
          At this past Carnival, we had 13 people who were either new to the
          Barony or new to the SCA in general. With an event attendance of just
          over 100, that means that 13% of the attendees were new!

          From the few I have heard back from, they are all eager to continue
          playing in the SCA, and our Barony. Huzzah! I will continue to
          followup with the rest, and hopefully they will all decide that they
          would like to hang around for a little while longer :-)

          I would like to thank Hillary, for taking the time to lead the
          newcomer's meet and greet, Khara for supplying cookies (they loved
          them), Ellianora for walking people around and giving tours,as well as
          making sure they were properly clothed, and to Nadezda and Gianetta
          for supplying gold key.

          Thank you all again.

          --
          Lady Verena Entenwirth