July Musicianship Improvement at Baron's Noyse

  • Robyyan Torr d'Elandris
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2011
      Greetings to all musicians, budding and current, in our fair Barony of Ayreton.

      The members of the Baron's Noyse have decided we will do something a little
      different on Monday evenings in July, and we'd be happy to have additional
      people join us. We are going to spend a part of our regular 7:30-9:00 meeting
      time working on lessons to develop our musicianship skills. Specifically, we
      are going to be working through some lessons from the American Recorder
      Society. While the lessons are designed for recorder players, much of the
      material is appropriate for any musician, whether vocalist or instrumentalist.

      Topics in the ARS Personal Improvement Plan lessons that I think we'll get to
      include:
      * basic recorder fingerings on either C or F instruments (substitute your own
      instrument or voice)
      * developing skill at more than one articulation
      * understanding common major/minor keys, by ear and in notation
      * intonation practice, matching pitch
      * ear training, matching short melodic and rhythmic phrases by ear
      * rhythm training, practicing common rhythmic patterns in dance music
      * sightreading / sightsinging practice

      I'm likely to supplement some of that material with at least a mention of
      historical practice in various areas.

      Note that while beginners are welcome, this isn't really intended as a beginner
      class. We won't be spending as much time on any one topic as I would if
      beginners were the target audience. This is more intended as a way for people
      with stale musical skills to refresh them, and to help formalize knowledge
      people have picked up haphazardly over years of playing. If you're an absolute
      beginner, talk to me about doing some additional lessons outside the Baron's
      Noyse time, so you have a better chance of keeping up with the group.

      This will be every Monday in July (yes, including Independence Day), at my
      house, 2506 W. Morse Ave, Chicago, 60645 (contact me off list if you need
      directions) from 7:30 to 9:00 pm.

      Please let me know (off list) if you're likely to come, so I can have enough
      handouts printed.

      Hope to see (and hear) you there!

      http://robyyan.googlepages.com
    • Verena Entenwirt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2011
        <snip> Note that while beginners are welcome, this isn't really intended as a beginner  class. We won't be spending as much time on any one topic as I would if beginners were the target audience. This is more intended as a way for people with stale musical skills to refresh them, and to help formalize knowledge people have picked up haphazardly over years of playing. If you're an absolute beginner, talk to me about doing some additional lessons outside the Baron's Noyse time, so you have a better chance of keeping up with the group. <end snip>

        For those of us thinking of joining you, who have recorders and are not absolute beginners, but not quite to the intermediate stage yet- do you have a recommendation of skills or lessons we could do between now and July to brush up?

        --
        Lady Verena Entenwirth
        Midlands Regional A&S Champion

      • Robyyan Torr d'Elandris
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2011
          As I'm doing more prep work, I think we're actually going to be working on general musicianship more than technique for any particular instrument.  That said, having some facility on recorder (or some other instrument, or control of your voice) will be necessary for the kinds of ear training exercises we'll be working on.  Looking over the free recorder lessons at http://gc-music.com/Recor.htm will be a pretty good prep, if you're minded to do work ahead of time.  And the recorder will definitely be the default instrument for teaching purposes.