Asian Fabric Buying Trip

  • Jill Elaine Hughes
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3 5:57 AM
      Dear all:

      I will soon be embarking on a two-week trip to Hong Kong to visit my husband's family.  Hong Kong is the marketplace of the Far East; you can buy just about anything there, CHEAP.  Including fine fabrics like silk.  I am taking a poll of whether anyone in the barony would be interested in me doing a buying trip in the Hong Kong Fabric District (at the street markets) while I am there. The fabrics would mostly be Chinese silks and cottons, though sometimes you can also find wools and linens. If so, I could take "orders" at the Populace Meeting on the 10th.  (Your orders would have to be fairly general/flexible, since you don't know what the fabric markets are going to have from one day to the next.)

      To give you a ballpark on prices, the fixed exchange rate between HK dollars and US dollars (they are tied currencies) is approximately 7 to 1.  And you can assume that any fabric you buy at the markets in HK will cost about one-fourth to one-third what it retails for here, even factoring in the exchange rate.

      Please note that given luggage restrictions I could realistically bring back a relatively small amount of fabric, and I'd prefer it's lightweight and easily packable.

      If you're interested in participating, email me off list at jillhughes2@....  I can take orders and deposits at the Populace meeting; it will be on a first-come first-served basis (I probably can only do it for 2 or 3 people besides myself).

      YIS,
      Marissa de Courette

      Contributing Writer, University of Phoenix Writer Network

      Novelist, Playwright, Journalist

      www.jillelainehughes.com

      www.jamaicalayne.com

      www.jayhughesbooks.com

      Avon Representative: www.youravon.com/jillhughes

    • kateslists@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3 11:08 AM
        YES
        YES
        YES

        Bojei

        From: Jill Elaine Hughes <jillhughes2@...>
        Sender: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 05:57:37 -0700 (PDT)
        To: <ayreton@yahoogroups.com>; Vanished Wood<vanished_wood@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [Ayreton] Asian Fabric Buying Trip

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4 8:29 AM
          Just FYI, I am now maxed out on the number of people I can buy fabric for.  Will be taking orders/deposits at the Populace meeting, if you haven't already expressed interest, you'd have to go on a waiting list.  Thanks all.

          YIS, Marissa

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4 8:30 AM
            On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Jill Elaine Hughes <jillhughes2@...> wrote:

            Just FYI, I am now maxed out on the number of people I can buy fabric for.  Will be taking orders/deposits at the Populace meeting, if you haven't already expressed interest, you'd have to go on a waiting list.  Thanks all.

            YIS, Marissa

            Have you considered shipping home a haul of fabric?  Would that be any more cost effective?

            Jadwiga
          • Jill Elaine Hughes
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4 8:37 AM
              I don't want to do shipping.  The costs of shipping likely would outweigh the savings of buying it overseas (unless you're buying massive amounts, which I'm not going to do).  Sorry.

              Marissa