Re: [Ayreton] Re: Feasting

  • Dayle Harding
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
      I have to agree with Marissa....many times it's not the outdoor cooking that is the problem (I've known Twm ap Twm to cook a fabulous feast over an open fire much to my awe and amazement), but rather the availability of the site (some places don't like that) and/or just what the group/site is able to do.  At Border Skirmish, the place is great for a grilling type thing, but not really all that great for even an over the open fire type of cooking event, hence the potluck.  Vanished Wood had at least two at Lord's Park Pavilion in Elgin where it was all done with grills and/or electric roasters.  Other places don't allow outside cooks (such as Maidens).  And other places are just too expensive to keep open for longer periods of time and smaller groups can't afford it.  So, I don't think it's a trend, but more a matter of site and/or group.

      Your mileage may vary,
      Acelina

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1, 2011
        As the Event Steward and Deputy Event Steward of Maidens for the last two years respectively, I'll chime in here.

        Maidens hasn't has a feast for a number of years, mostly because of the space requirements where we have the event. Nonetheless, when we've brought up the idea of having a feast at an alternative site quite close to the event site, we've been told by numerous people that they don't really want one. They've made it a tradition to attend the event and then go out to eat with friends before attending the ball and/or the variety of parties that take place in the evening.

        Consensus said that while a feast would be nice, it's not likely to draw a large enough crowd to make it worthwhile. I wouldn't be surprised if other events who traditionally don't have a feast haven't run into a similar situation.

        Just something to think about.

        YIS,
        Lady Roana Aldinoch
        Wurmwald