Re: [Ayreton] Feasting

  • Kelli HD
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
      If a feast experience is what you're looking for, mark your calendar
      for foxhunt 7 this year in august. It will be a unique look at late
      japanese cuisine and customs guaranteed to be an experience. :-)

      On 3/31/11, Margrett Norwoode <mistressmargrett@...> wrote:
      > I've been listening to recent plans for Carnivale and Twelfth Night . . .
      > What I
      > would very much like to know is why the recent trend at local events to NOT
      > have
      > a traditional feast. For some of us, having a feast is what makes an event
      > special and often strongly influences our decision to attend. As a lover and
      > cook of historical foods, I love the opportunity to try new dishes. I
      > especially
      > love that I can do that in a room full of all my friends, with
      > entertainment,
      > fanfare and ceremony. Feast is an experience, not a meal. Why is the trend
      > for
      > that experience to be removed from events? Without that, we might as well
      > run
      > out to a restaurant.
      >
      > Margrett

    • MargrettNorwoode
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
        It is already on my agenda--never you worry :-) Besides the fact that FoxHunt is always awesome, my friends in Tengusanji are often heavily involved in all Foxvale events

        Margrett

        --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Kelli HD <khirya@...> wrote:

        > If a feast experience is what you're looking for, mark your calendar
        > for foxhunt 7 this year in august. It will be a unique look at late
        > japanese cuisine and customs guaranteed to be an experience. :-)

        . .
      • Dayle Harding
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
          I have to agree with Marissa....many times it's not the outdoor cooking that is the problem (I've known Twm ap Twm to cook a fabulous feast over an open fire much to my awe and amazement), but rather the availability of the site (some places don't like that) and/or just what the group/site is able to do.  At Border Skirmish, the place is great for a grilling type thing, but not really all that great for even an over the open fire type of cooking event, hence the potluck.  Vanished Wood had at least two at Lord's Park Pavilion in Elgin where it was all done with grills and/or electric roasters.  Other places don't allow outside cooks (such as Maidens).  And other places are just too expensive to keep open for longer periods of time and smaller groups can't afford it.  So, I don't think it's a trend, but more a matter of site and/or group.

          Your mileage may vary,
          Acelina

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 1, 2011
            As the Event Steward and Deputy Event Steward of Maidens for the last two years respectively, I'll chime in here.

            Maidens hasn't has a feast for a number of years, mostly because of the space requirements where we have the event. Nonetheless, when we've brought up the idea of having a feast at an alternative site quite close to the event site, we've been told by numerous people that they don't really want one. They've made it a tradition to attend the event and then go out to eat with friends before attending the ball and/or the variety of parties that take place in the evening.

            Consensus said that while a feast would be nice, it's not likely to draw a large enough crowd to make it worthwhile. I wouldn't be surprised if other events who traditionally don't have a feast haven't run into a similar situation.

            Just something to think about.

            YIS,
            Lady Roana Aldinoch
            Wurmwald