Re: [Ayreton] Feasting

  • Kelli HD
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 31 8:35 AM
      If a feast experience is what you're looking for, mark your calendar
      for foxhunt 7 this year in august. It will be a unique look at late
      japanese cuisine and customs guaranteed to be an experience. :-)

      On 3/31/11, Margrett Norwoode <mistressmargrett@...> wrote:
      > I've been listening to recent plans for Carnivale and Twelfth Night . . .
      > What I
      > would very much like to know is why the recent trend at local events to NOT
      > have
      > a traditional feast. For some of us, having a feast is what makes an event
      > special and often strongly influences our decision to attend. As a lover and
      > cook of historical foods, I love the opportunity to try new dishes. I
      > especially
      > love that I can do that in a room full of all my friends, with
      > entertainment,
      > fanfare and ceremony. Feast is an experience, not a meal. Why is the trend
      > for
      > that experience to be removed from events? Without that, we might as well
      > run
      > out to a restaurant.
      >
      > Margrett

    • MargrettNorwoode
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 31 10:57 AM
        Verna, I'm not staying with Ayreton but I would love to come up the hill and help cook dinner one day if you wish help . . . especially if my labors earn me the right to eat with you that day. And I would be interested in your historical chocolate ship cookie recipe :-) I think cooking with you would be fun!!

        And I would be definitely interested on your class. I'm trying to decide whether I'm ready to teach something at Pennsic myself, and what to teach if I do.

        Margrett

        --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Verena Entenwirt <verena@...> wrote:

        > Now I do have some slight documentation which could put a chocolate chip
        > like bisicuit or cookie in period :-) Want to cooks some with me this year?
        >
        > In fact I might be teaching a class at Pennsic on late period * Pâte à choux
        > and *Pâte à Panterelli most likely this year----- by the way that would
        > period eclairs :-)
        >
        > -Verena

        . . .
      • MargrettNorwoode
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 31 10:59 AM
          And typos abound--sorry.

          Margrett

          --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "MargrettNorwoode" <mistressmargrett@...> wrote:

          > Verna, I'm not staying with Ayreton but I would love to come up the hill and help cook dinner one day if you wish help . . . especially if my labors earn me the right to eat with you that day. And I would be interested in your historical chocolate ship cookie recipe :-) I think cooking with you would be fun!!
          >
          > And I would be definitely interested on your class. I'm trying to decide whether I'm ready to teach something at Pennsic myself, and what to teach if I do.
          >
          > Margrett
          . . .
        • Verena Entenwirt
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 31 11:18 AM
            Actually I was wondering if I had put in Chocolate Ship.

            I know there was talk about you camping with us, are you not going to?

            And yes, you are more then welcome to come over around cooking time :-)

            On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:57 PM, MargrettNorwoode <mistressmargrett@...> wrote:

            Verna, I'm not staying with Ayreton but I would love to come up the hill and help cook dinner one day if you wish help . . . especially if my labors earn me the right to eat with you that day. And I would be interested in your historical chocolate ship cookie recipe :-) I think cooking with you would be fun!!

            And I would be definitely interested on your class. I'm trying to decide whether I'm ready to teach something at Pennsic myself, and what to teach if I do.

            Margrett

            --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Verena Entenwirt <verena@...> wrote:

            > Now I do have some slight documentation which could put a chocolate chip
            > like bisicuit or cookie in period :-) Want to cooks some with me this year?
            >
            > In fact I might be teaching a class at Pennsic on late period * Pâte à choux
            > and *Pâte à Panterelli most likely this year----- by the way that would
            > period eclairs :-)
            >
            > -Verena

            . . .

            --
            Lady Verena Entenwirth
            www.broomstich.com

          • Philippa of Otterbourne
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 31 11:20 AM
              Sure always happy to help. :-) and I did know what Pâte à choux was.

              Philippa

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Mar 31, 2011, at 12:52 PM, Verena Entenwirt <verena@...> wrote:

              Now I do have some slight documentation which could put a chocolate chip like bisicuit or cookie in period :-) Want to cooks some with me this year?

              In fact I might be teaching a class at Pennsic on late period Pâte à choux and Pâte à Panterellimost likely this year----- by the way that would period eclairs :-)

              -Verena

              On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Philippa of Otterbourne <otterbourne@...> wrote:

              So, Verena... The chocolate chip cookies you make in camp are documentable? ;-)

              Philippa

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Mar 31, 2011, at 12:21 PM, Verena Entenwirt <verena@...> wrote:

              <snip>Those are all summer camping/outdoor events. ............ That's because most of those sites just don't have suitable cooking facilities. (And have you ever tried cooking outside?  Not easy, especially on a large scale). <end snip>

              Actually on this one I would personally have to disagree with you. I know Foxhunt had an amazing Feast last year, and correct me if I am wrong, but it was all cooked outside.

              Also, those who camp with Ayreton at Pennsic get fed pretty well- all of the meals are even document able (but shhhhh don't tell them that)  It is not harder to cook outside, it just takes a different way of thinking and cooking.

              Lady Verena (who would never organize a feast, but would have no problem feeding a couple dozen fighters at Pennsic)

              --
              Lady Verena Entenwirth
              www.broomstich.com

            • Kyla
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 31 12:58 PM
                I agree with Margrett in that it is unfortunate that in recent years, events which have previously featured feasts, like TGS 12th Night, border Skirmish and MKAoD have suddenly switched to potluck, or nothing at all.
                There are some very good reasons for these changes, but there are also some unfortunate side effects  - like making after-feast dancing and bardic less likely, as, if there is no feast, then when is after feast?
                Plus, once a person - or group of people - leave the site for dinner, they are more likely to not return.
                *sigh*

                I didn't know what either of those dishes were, but period chocolate chip cookies?
                Too funny!

                Tabitha

                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 31 1:01 PM
                  Just to clarify, TGS 12th night has had a traditional feast for many many years, with the only exception being the year we did the "all day feast" about 5 years ago.  This year is an experiment, to address the very concern about how to keep people at the event longer...

                  --Gianetta

[...]

                • Jill Elaine Hughes
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 31 1:26 PM
                    I'd like to state for the record that the last two feasts Ayreton hosted (All Souls and the recent 12th Night) were the two best feasts I have ever had.  (And I've eaten a lot of feasts). They were, flat-out, amazing.  (I didn't actually get to eat the Foxhunt feast but I heard wonderful things about it from many people).

                    It takes nearly an entire year of work and advanced planning to host feasts like that, which is why you don't have them at every event. They're special occasions and should be treated as such. Frankly, I'd rather have 2 or 3 EXCELLENT feasts a year than a bunch of mediocre ones.  Plus, another nice thing I've seen at events since becoming active again (I was inactive for a long time after being active in the 80s and early 90s) is the frequent offering of cooked period onsite SCA lunches.  That was absolutely unheard of in days of yore.  And frankly, for parents of young children like me who often can't stay for feast, the lunches are just a better option.  They're also cheaper, easier to run, and help accomodate cooking at sites that have to be vacated by say, 6:00 pm.

                    Marissa

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 31 2:18 PM
                      It is already on my agenda--never you worry :-) Besides the fact that FoxHunt is always awesome, my friends in Tengusanji are often heavily involved in all Foxvale events

                      Margrett

                      --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Kelli HD <khirya@...> wrote:

                      > If a feast experience is what you're looking for, mark your calendar
                      > for foxhunt 7 this year in august. It will be a unique look at late
                      > japanese cuisine and customs guaranteed to be an experience. :-)

                      . .
                    • Dayle Harding
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 31 10:49 PM
                        I have to agree with Marissa....many times it's not the outdoor cooking that is the problem (I've known Twm ap Twm to cook a fabulous feast over an open fire much to my awe and amazement), but rather the availability of the site (some places don't like that) and/or just what the group/site is able to do.  At Border Skirmish, the place is great for a grilling type thing, but not really all that great for even an over the open fire type of cooking event, hence the potluck.  Vanished Wood had at least two at Lord's Park Pavilion in Elgin where it was all done with grills and/or electric roasters.  Other places don't allow outside cooks (such as Maidens).  And other places are just too expensive to keep open for longer periods of time and smaller groups can't afford it.  So, I don't think it's a trend, but more a matter of site and/or group.

                        Your mileage may vary,
                        Acelina

                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 1, 2011
                          As the Event Steward and Deputy Event Steward of Maidens for the last two years respectively, I'll chime in here.

                          Maidens hasn't has a feast for a number of years, mostly because of the space requirements where we have the event. Nonetheless, when we've brought up the idea of having a feast at an alternative site quite close to the event site, we've been told by numerous people that they don't really want one. They've made it a tradition to attend the event and then go out to eat with friends before attending the ball and/or the variety of parties that take place in the evening.

                          Consensus said that while a feast would be nice, it's not likely to draw a large enough crowd to make it worthwhile. I wouldn't be surprised if other events who traditionally don't have a feast haven't run into a similar situation.

                          Just something to think about.

                          YIS,
                          Lady Roana Aldinoch
                          Wurmwald