Re: [Ayreton] Feasting

  • Jill Elaine Hughes
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
      We should also be cognizant of the fact that not only are affordable sites with adequate feast facilities not always available, feast stewards/cooks are not always available, either.  To cook/steward a feast is a tremendous undertaking and often feastocrats don't want to do more than 1 or 2 a year because it's exhausting.  Also, different SCA regions have different traditions.  I grew up in a barony that had a heavy weapons tournament at _every single event_ with at least 50 fighters participating, yet there was very little A&S activity.  Contrast that to here, where there is a ton of A&S and not nearly as much heavy weapons fighting, plus lots of archery and rapier---which were mostly nonexistent when I was growing up in SCA. Sometimes it's just variations in what the locals are interested in and are willing to volunteer to run.

      I really like the idea of a pot-luck populace feast Verena & company came up with for Carnivale, I'm going to bake some bread for it as my own contribution.

      If you think we need more feasts, Margrett, by all means volunteer to be our next feast steward!  There was an old saying in my former barony----if you say you don't like something, you just volunteered to fix it.

      Marissa de Courette

      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
        <snip>I really like the idea of a pot-luck populace feast Verena & company came up with for Carnivale, I'm going to bake some bread for it as my own contribution.<end snip>

        Thank you! I look forward to tasting your bread. However, I am a firm beleiver in giving people their credit where credit is due- and this brilliant solution was all Kara.

        -Verena (very much looking forward to tasting all the great food items at Carnivale)
      • Jill Elaine Hughes
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
          Way to go Kara on this potluck feast idea.  I think it's a great solution. Some of my favorite SCA "feasts" of yore have been potluck affairs.

          Marissa de Courette

          <snip>I really like the idea of a pot-luck populace feast Verena & company came up with for Carnivale, I'm going to bake some bread for it as my own contribution.<end snip>

          Thank you! I look forward to tasting your bread. However, I am a firm beleiver in giving people their credit where credit is due- and this brilliant solution was all Kara.

          -Verena (very much looking forward to tasting all the great food items at Carnivale)

        • Kelli HD
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
            If a feast experience is what you're looking for, mark your calendar
            for foxhunt 7 this year in august. It will be a unique look at late
            japanese cuisine and customs guaranteed to be an experience. :-)

            On 3/31/11, Margrett Norwoode <mistressmargrett@...> wrote:
            > I've been listening to recent plans for Carnivale and Twelfth Night . . .
            > What I
            > would very much like to know is why the recent trend at local events to NOT
            > have
            > a traditional feast. For some of us, having a feast is what makes an event
            > special and often strongly influences our decision to attend. As a lover and
            > cook of historical foods, I love the opportunity to try new dishes. I
            > especially
            > love that I can do that in a room full of all my friends, with
            > entertainment,
            > fanfare and ceremony. Feast is an experience, not a meal. Why is the trend
            > for
            > that experience to be removed from events? Without that, we might as well
            > run
            > out to a restaurant.
            >
            > Margrett

          • MargrettNorwoode
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
              Though I do not disagree with your statement and normally have a bad case of helium hand anyway, I am not qualified to be a feast steward. A few months ago, I cooked a full medieval/renaissance feast for only six people. I was totally overwhelmed by that experience which was on a much smaller scale and thus am not able to do it for 75-100 people.

              But I love and appreciate those who are willing to feast steward and will help them prepare food before the events as much as my schedule allows.

              Margrett

              --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Jill Elaine Hughes <jillhughes2@...> wrote:

              . . .>
              > If you think we need more feasts, Margrett, by all means volunteer to be our
              > next feast steward!  There was an old saying in my former barony----if you say
              > you don't like something, you just volunteered to fix it.
              >  Marissa de Courette
              . . .
            • Jill Elaine Hughes
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
                In my experience, effective feast stewards/feastocrats don't cook everything themselves.  They're really  more managers/coordinators.  They design a menu, plan purchasing, and supervise a staff of volunteers who help them get the job done.  It's more of a management job than a cooking job, though cooking is also certainly involved.

                Though I do know some people (in my own family) who have single-handedly cooked for 80 people.  (They are superhuman.)  I want to run a feast someday myself, but I think I need more experience as a staff volunteer first.  What I like about what Kara is doing for Carnivale is it's giving all of us the opportunity to cook a single dish on a large scale.  That's great feast steward training!

                Marissa

                Though I do not disagree with your statement and normally have a bad case of helium hand anyway, I am not qualified to be a feast steward. A few months ago, I cooked a full medieval/renaissance feast for only six people. I was totally overwhelmed by that experience which was on a much smaller scale and thus am not able to do it for 75-100 people.

                But I love and appreciate those who are willing to feast steward and will help them prepare food before the events as much as my schedule allows.

                Margrett

                --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Jill Elaine Hughes <jillhughes2@...> wrote:

                . . .>
                > If you think we need more feasts, Margrett, by all means volunteer to be our
                > next feast steward!  There was an old saying in my former barony----if you say
                > you don't like something, you just volunteered to fix it.
                >  Marissa de Courette
                . . .

              • MargrettNorwoode
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
                  A few more items--
                  Recent events without feasts: Fall RUM, Festival of Maidens

                  Upcoming events without feasts: Border Skirmish, Chaos Caravan, This Land Is Our Land

                  However, I very much hope I'm wrong and you're right. This is a trend that I hope does not develop. I like potlucks a lot--I just prefer feasts when I am at an event.

                  My one request for those doing potluck or grill-type feasts is that you offer some way for those who don't cook to bring things. I know people who will avoid potlucks altogether because they don't cook.

                  Margrett

                  --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Christian Fournier <cf@...> wrote:

                  > I'm not convinced that there's particularly a trend, here-- if we look at recent local events (12th Night, All Soul's), we mostly see "traditional feasts." The same is true of every upcoming nearby event that I could find (RUM, Rites of Spring, Coronation/3 Saints, Awakenings).
                  >
                  > So, yes: locally we have two events coming up in the next year, both of which will be experimenting to some degree with feast formats, either out of necessity or will-- but I think that's hardly reason to decry the death of traditional feasts...
                  >
                  > XF
                  >

                  > > On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 7:41 AM, Margrett Norwoode <mistressmargrett@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > I've been listening to recent plans for Carnivale and Twelfth Night . . . What I would very much like to know is why the recent trend at local events to NOT have a traditional feast. For some of us, having a feast is what makes an event special and often strongly influences our decision to attend. As a lover and cook of historical foods, I love the opportunity to try new dishes. I especially love that I can do that in a room full of all my friends, with entertainment, fanfare and ceremony. Feast is an experience, not a meal. Why is the trend for that experience to be removed from events? Without that, we might as well run out to a restaurant.
                  > >
                  > > Margrett

                • Jill Elaine Hughes
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
                    ----Upcoming events without feasts: Border Skirmish, Chaos Caravan, This Land Is Our Land
                    Those are all summer camping/outdoor events.  Very few summer camping/outdoor events anywhere in the SCA feature feasts.  That's because most of those sites just don't have suitable cooking facilities. (And have you ever tried cooking outside?  Not easy, especially on a large scale). It was that way 25 years ago, too.  I don't recall a RUM ever that had a feast (I'm sure there were some, but it's not that type of event).  So if you want to call it a trend, it's been going on for 25+ years that way.  I don't expect every event to have a feast any more than I expect every event to feature camping.

                    My two farthings.

                    Marissa

                    Recent events without feasts: Fall RUM, Festival of Maidens

                    Upcoming events without feasts: Border Skirmish, Chaos Caravan, This Land Is Our Land

                    However, I very much hope I'm wrong and you're right. This is a trend that I hope does not develop. I like potlucks a lot--I just prefer feasts when I am at an event.

                    My one request for those doing potluck or grill-type feasts is that you offer some way for those who don't cook to bring things. I know people who will avoid potlucks altogether because they don't cook.

                    Margrett

                    --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Christian Fournier <cf@...> wrote:

                    > I'm not convinced that there's particularly a trend, here-- if we look at recent local events (12th Night, All Soul's), we mostly see "traditional feasts." The same is true of every upcoming nearby event that I could find (RUM, Rites of Spring, Coronation/3 Saints, Awakenings).
                    >
                    > So, yes: locally we have two events coming up in the next year, both of which will be experimenting to some degree with feast formats, either out of necessity or will-- but I think that's hardly reason to decry the death of traditional feasts...
                    >
                    > XF
                    >

                    > > On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 7:41 AM, Margrett Norwoode <mistressmargrett@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > I've been listening to recent plans for Carnivale and Twelfth Night . . . What I would very much like to know is why the recent trend at local events to NOT have a traditional feast. For some of us, having a feast is what makes an event special and often strongly influences our decision to attend. As a lover and cook of historical foods, I love the opportunity to try new dishes. I especially love that I can do that in a room full of all my friends, with entertainment, fanfare and ceremony. Feast is an experience, not a meal. Why is the trend for that experience to be removed from events? Without that, we might as well run out to a restaurant.
                    > >
                    > > Margrett

                  • Philippa of Otterbourne
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
                      I don't know about the other events but RUM this fall was at a hotel and Maidens site is a university union/hotel. These types of sites do not allow outside food to be served. It's like going into a restaurant and bringing in your own food.

                      Yes, if a group that utilizes this type of site wants, they can arrange a catered "feast.". Having been to a few events with what I term a "wedding feast" I think no feast is better for these sites.

                      Philippa

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Mar 31, 2011, at 12:06 PM, "MargrettNorwoode" <mistressmargrett@...> wrote:

                      > A few more items--
                      > Recent events without feasts: Fall RUM, Festival of Maidens
                      >
                      > Upcoming events without feasts: Border Skirmish, Chaos Caravan, This Land Is Our Land
                      >
                      > However, I very much hope I'm wrong and you're right. This is a trend that I hope does not develop. I like potlucks a lot--I just prefer feasts when I am at an event.
                      >
                      > My one request for those doing potluck or grill-type feasts is that you offer some way for those who don't cook to bring things. I know people who will avoid potlucks altogether because they don't cook.
                      >

                      > Margrett
                      >

                      > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Christian Fournier <cf@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I'm not convinced that there's particularly a trend, here-- if we look at recent local events (12th Night, All Soul's), we mostly see "traditional feasts." The same is true of every upcoming nearby event that I could find (RUM, Rites of Spring, Coronation/3 Saints, Awakenings).
                      >>
                      >> So, yes: locally we have two events coming up in the next year, both of which will be experimenting to some degree with feast formats, either out of necessity or will-- but I think that's hardly reason to decry the death of traditional feasts...
                      >>
                      >> XF
                      >>

                      >>> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 7:41 AM, Margrett Norwoode <mistressmargrett@...> wrote:
                      >>>

                      >>> I've been listening to recent plans for Carnivale and Twelfth Night . . . What I would very much like to know is why the recent trend at local events to NOT have a traditional feast. For some of us, having a feast is what makes an event special and often strongly influences our decision to attend. As a lover and cook of historical foods, I love the opportunity to try new dishes. I especially love that I can do that in a room full of all my friends, with entertainment, fanfare and ceremony. Feast is an experience, not a meal. Why is the trend for that experience to be removed from events? Without that, we might as well run out to a restaurant.
                      >>>
                      >>> Margrett

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Verena Entenwirt
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
                        <snip>Those are all summer camping/outdoor events. ............ That's because most of those sites just don't have suitable cooking facilities. (And have you ever tried cooking outside?  Not easy, especially on a large scale). <end snip>

                        Actually on this one I would personally have to disagree with you. I know Foxhunt had an amazing Feast last year, and correct me if I am wrong, but it was all cooked outside.

                        Also, those who camp with Ayreton at Pennsic get fed pretty well- all of the meals are even document able (but shhhhh don't tell them that)  It is not harder to cook outside, it just takes a different way of thinking and cooking.

                        Lady Verena (who would never organize a feast, but would have no problem feeding a couple dozen fighters at Pennsic)

                      • Jill Elaine Hughes
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011

                          ---"Actually on this one I would personally have to disagree with you. I know Foxhunt had an amazing Feast last year, and correct me if I am wrong, but it was all cooked outside."

                          The Foxhunt feast was indeed great, but that sort of thing is quite rare at an outdoor/camping event.  And that's true across the SCA.  Very few of these types of events have feasts, which makes them all the more special when they do happen.

                          What irritates me is when somebody complains about the supposed lack of feasts, when in fact what's happening is really no different than it's been since at least the 80s.  Some events have feasts, some don't.  Just like some events have camping, some don't/some events have tourneys, some don't/some events have archery, some don't.  In truth, there's a lot more choices about what to do/what kinds of events to go to now than there were in years past, and that's a GOOD thing.  (I remember when the only kind of event to go to was a camping event with a heavy weapons tournament, which we non-camping A&S types don't exactly enjoy.)

                          And I'll say it again----before you criticize what the volunteers who are running events are doing, be prepared to run an event yourself.

                          Marissa

                        • Philippa of Otterbourne

                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
                              Now I do have some slight documentation which could put a chocolate chip like bisicuit or cookie in period :-) Want to cooks some with me this year?

                              In fact I might be teaching a class at Pennsic on late period Pâte à choux and Pâte à Panterellimost likely this year----- by the way that would period eclairs :-)

                              -Verena

                              --
                              Lady Verena Entenwirth
                              www.broomstich.com

                            • MargrettNorwoode
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
                                Verna, I'm not staying with Ayreton but I would love to come up the hill and help cook dinner one day if you wish help . . . especially if my labors earn me the right to eat with you that day. And I would be interested in your historical chocolate ship cookie recipe :-) I think cooking with you would be fun!!

                                And I would be definitely interested on your class. I'm trying to decide whether I'm ready to teach something at Pennsic myself, and what to teach if I do.

                                Margrett

                                --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Verena Entenwirt <verena@...> wrote:

                                > Now I do have some slight documentation which could put a chocolate chip
                                > like bisicuit or cookie in period :-) Want to cooks some with me this year?
                                >
                                > In fact I might be teaching a class at Pennsic on late period * Pâte à choux
                                > and *Pâte à Panterelli most likely this year----- by the way that would
                                > period eclairs :-)
                                >
                                > -Verena

                                . . .
                              • MargrettNorwoode
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
                                  And typos abound--sorry.

                                  Margrett

                                  --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "MargrettNorwoode" <mistressmargrett@...> wrote:

                                  > Verna, I'm not staying with Ayreton but I would love to come up the hill and help cook dinner one day if you wish help . . . especially if my labors earn me the right to eat with you that day. And I would be interested in your historical chocolate ship cookie recipe :-) I think cooking with you would be fun!!
                                  >
                                  > And I would be definitely interested on your class. I'm trying to decide whether I'm ready to teach something at Pennsic myself, and what to teach if I do.
                                  >
                                  > Margrett
                                  . . .
                                • Verena Entenwirt
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
                                    Actually I was wondering if I had put in Chocolate Ship.

                                    I know there was talk about you camping with us, are you not going to?

                                    And yes, you are more then welcome to come over around cooking time :-)

                                    On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:57 PM, MargrettNorwoode <mistressmargrett@...> wrote:

                                    Verna, I'm not staying with Ayreton but I would love to come up the hill and help cook dinner one day if you wish help . . . especially if my labors earn me the right to eat with you that day. And I would be interested in your historical chocolate ship cookie recipe :-) I think cooking with you would be fun!!

                                    And I would be definitely interested on your class. I'm trying to decide whether I'm ready to teach something at Pennsic myself, and what to teach if I do.

                                    Margrett

                                    --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Verena Entenwirt <verena@...> wrote:

                                    > Now I do have some slight documentation which could put a chocolate chip
                                    > like bisicuit or cookie in period :-) Want to cooks some with me this year?
                                    >
                                    > In fact I might be teaching a class at Pennsic on late period * Pâte à choux
                                    > and *Pâte à Panterelli most likely this year----- by the way that would
                                    > period eclairs :-)
                                    >
                                    > -Verena

                                    . . .

                                    --
                                    Lady Verena Entenwirth
                                    www.broomstich.com

                                  • Philippa of Otterbourne
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
                                      Sure always happy to help. :-) and I did know what Pâte à choux was.

                                      Philippa

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                      On Mar 31, 2011, at 12:52 PM, Verena Entenwirt <verena@...> wrote:

[...]

                                    • Kyla
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
                                        I agree with Margrett in that it is unfortunate that in recent years, events which have previously featured feasts, like TGS 12th Night, border Skirmish and MKAoD have suddenly switched to potluck, or nothing at all.
                                        There are some very good reasons for these changes, but there are also some unfortunate side effects  - like making after-feast dancing and bardic less likely, as, if there is no feast, then when is after feast?
                                        Plus, once a person - or group of people - leave the site for dinner, they are more likely to not return.
                                        *sigh*

                                        I didn't know what either of those dishes were, but period chocolate chip cookies?
                                        Too funny!

                                        Tabitha

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
                                          Just to clarify, TGS 12th night has had a traditional feast for many many years, with the only exception being the year we did the "all day feast" about 5 years ago.  This year is an experiment, to address the very concern about how to keep people at the event longer...

                                          --Gianetta

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
                                            I'd like to state for the record that the last two feasts Ayreton hosted (All Souls and the recent 12th Night) were the two best feasts I have ever had.  (And I've eaten a lot of feasts). They were, flat-out, amazing.  (I didn't actually get to eat the Foxhunt feast but I heard wonderful things about it from many people).

                                            It takes nearly an entire year of work and advanced planning to host feasts like that, which is why you don't have them at every event. They're special occasions and should be treated as such. Frankly, I'd rather have 2 or 3 EXCELLENT feasts a year than a bunch of mediocre ones.  Plus, another nice thing I've seen at events since becoming active again (I was inactive for a long time after being active in the 80s and early 90s) is the frequent offering of cooked period onsite SCA lunches.  That was absolutely unheard of in days of yore.  And frankly, for parents of young children like me who often can't stay for feast, the lunches are just a better option.  They're also cheaper, easier to run, and help accomodate cooking at sites that have to be vacated by say, 6:00 pm.

                                            Marissa

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
                                              It is already on my agenda--never you worry :-) Besides the fact that FoxHunt is always awesome, my friends in Tengusanji are often heavily involved in all Foxvale events

                                              Margrett

                                              --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Kelli HD <khirya@...> wrote:

                                              > If a feast experience is what you're looking for, mark your calendar
                                              > for foxhunt 7 this year in august. It will be a unique look at late
                                              > japanese cuisine and customs guaranteed to be an experience. :-)

                                              . .
                                            • Dayle Harding
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Mar 31, 2011
                                                I have to agree with Marissa....many times it's not the outdoor cooking that is the problem (I've known Twm ap Twm to cook a fabulous feast over an open fire much to my awe and amazement), but rather the availability of the site (some places don't like that) and/or just what the group/site is able to do.  At Border Skirmish, the place is great for a grilling type thing, but not really all that great for even an over the open fire type of cooking event, hence the potluck.  Vanished Wood had at least two at Lord's Park Pavilion in Elgin where it was all done with grills and/or electric roasters.  Other places don't allow outside cooks (such as Maidens).  And other places are just too expensive to keep open for longer periods of time and smaller groups can't afford it.  So, I don't think it's a trend, but more a matter of site and/or group.

                                                Your mileage may vary,
                                                Acelina

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Apr 1, 2011
                                                  As the Event Steward and Deputy Event Steward of Maidens for the last two years respectively, I'll chime in here.

                                                  Maidens hasn't has a feast for a number of years, mostly because of the space requirements where we have the event. Nonetheless, when we've brought up the idea of having a feast at an alternative site quite close to the event site, we've been told by numerous people that they don't really want one. They've made it a tradition to attend the event and then go out to eat with friends before attending the ball and/or the variety of parties that take place in the evening.

                                                  Consensus said that while a feast would be nice, it's not likely to draw a large enough crowd to make it worthwhile. I wouldn't be surprised if other events who traditionally don't have a feast haven't run into a similar situation.

                                                  Just something to think about.

                                                  YIS,
                                                  Lady Roana Aldinoch
                                                  Wurmwald