RUM help needed

  • KCMalone3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2011
      Here is a link for the event.  http://webpages.charter.net/lorddenby/Greyhope/RUM/

      If you have trouble reaching Duchess Sabine, please let me know.  Her e-mail has been acting up.

      Greetings,

      We are planning our youth class schedule for the spring 2011 RUM. We currently have NO youth instructors for spring RUM.  RUM is being hosted by the Shire of Greyhope (Lake Station, IN) on April 2, 2011. Please join us and share your skills and knowledge with our youth! If you are interested in teaching our youth, please contact me at DuchesseSabine@...

      Thank you in advance for forwarding this missive to kingdom, regional, and local discussion lists.

      In service to our youth,
      Duchesse Sabinede Rouen, OP
      Dean of the College of Youth Arts and Education, RUM

      Please consider helping out if you are attending.  I know my children have enjoyed classes in the past.  My youngest has developed a liking for vegetables that is still active today due to a class called Thyme for Purple Carrots taught by Abbess Katherine and Lord Gavin, 5  or 6 years ago.  Some of the other classes that my children have enjoyed are building weapons for youth fighting and heraldric devices for kids (do not remember the teachers), how to play a harp by Lady Philippa and how to do gold work on an illuminations by Lady Ambr.  Some of these classes were a while back and my kids still have found the information to be useful today.  So, please consider giving an hour of your time for a class to enhance the experience for our youth!   Looking forward to seeing you at the event!

      Thanks,
      Lady Anna
      Midlands Regional MOY

    • Patty
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2011
        Hi Ayreton and Friends Near and Far;

        Due to a lot of personal things happening We haven't been very pushy.

        It's come to my attention that RUM will be happening April 2, 2011, In Indiana.

        There is a NEED of Youth Teachers. Right now the total is 0.  :(

        Those of you that know Austin and myself, know this event is near and dear to us.  Youth are an important part of the SCA.  Without them the SCA will not continue to grow. I've heard far too often,  I'm bored there's nothing to do or gee can't they control them.  Both of those statements can be solved a little. ;)
        Teach a class that youth can take with them.  So when they are at the next event...they won't be bored because of a new found skill.

        Youth type people reading this - please chime in.  Let the populace know you would like to have a youth track at RUM.  No not babysitting or keep my kid busy. Honest to goodness fun classes.  Let them know the type of classes that young people in the SCA are interested in.

        Please guys, dust off your lessons or write some new ones and teach a youth class.

        Never taught, it's easy. Contact me off list and I'll give you sugguestions and ideas.  Scared to teach,  Why not co-teach?  I have several people I've done this with it was a blast.
        Don't know what to teach?  No Problem... Here are a few ideas.

        How to make a boffer sword?
        How to dance?

        How to design heraldry?

        Who's hat is that?

        How to do calligraphy?

        How to do illumination?

        How to make a simple tunic?

        How to develop your persona?

        How to be a paige?

        How to play medieval games?

        Bardic circle?  Tell a story, sign a song.

        How to recommend someone for an award?

        How to make a piece of jewelry? beaded necklace or something like?

        How to serve at a feast?

        How to play an instrument?

        Sing a song?  Start a youth singing group?  How cool would that be?

        Ask a youth??? What are they interested in?

        Never taught a class?  No problem...It's easy. Cmon guys, share your knowledge and help our wonderful SCA grow.

        Send your name, title and description, Cost, min. max students, How long?  You know the details.  to the Dean of Youth, Duchesse Sabine.  Her contact information is listed below:

        Then spread the word.

        Tell me if your teaching and I'll spread the word too.

        Tell the kids and they will come.  :)

        Please volunteer to teach right now.  It will be lots of fun.

        Thank you and I'll look forward to spreading the word as soon as I know who you are.

        In Service;

        THL Akiko Catherine O'Brien aka: Pushy Purple Petal ;)
        THL Austin Chadwyck of Normandy -

        Contact Information:

        College of Youth Arts and Education

         Dean: Duchesse Sabine de Rouen, OP

        DuchesseSabine@...

        Event Information:

        http://webpages.charter.net/lorddenby/Greyhope/RUM/

        April 2nd, 2011

        9am to 10pm

         at Thomas Edison High School, Lake Station, IN

        On 2/8/11 10:43 PM, KCMalone3@... wrote:

[...]

      • Sarafina Sinclair
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10, 2011
          Thank you so much Akiko for your impassioned plea. Of course RUM is near and dear to my heart and I concur that it's important that we get the kids to see why we think the SCA is so fun. I've volunteered to teach a class on understanding the awards system and what the different coronets mean.

          Who's with me?

          ss

          --
          Baroness Sarafina Sinclair, OL

[...]