Re: [Ayreton] FYI for Saturday - Site VERY DRY!! Please read this important message

  • Rob Hicks
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 17, 2007
      Are you saying Maidens is dry?

      ladyscribe07 <ladyscribe07@...> wrote:
      Hi all,

      >Got this FYI from Greyhope site. Speaks volumes. Please forward
      >this onto anyone who you might need to know. Especially for this
      >weekend.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >
      >Eleanor
      >
      >Something to think about!!!
      >Posted by: "Mandy Meroux" mandymeroux@ yahoo.com mandymeroux
      >Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:07 pm (PST)
      >This was forwarded to the Pel-net. I'm forwarding it here -
      >
      >*********** * ******
      >
      >I'm forwarding this from several different sources.
      >I'm quoting Baron Gregoire's post on the Legio site
      >verbatim:
      >
      >"As many of you probably remember, Cynnabar hosted
      >Kingdom 12th Night in Saline January 2005.
      >
      >As of this morning, we have learned and confirmed that
      >the SCA is no longer welcome in the Saline School
      >District. This is unfortunate as they have a number of
      >buildings at reasonable rates for large events.
      >
      >We were shocked about this turn of events - we had
      >worked hard to leave the school cleaner than we found
      >it, obeyed all rules set for us, and even had offered
      >to pay for the damages of an unfortunate pewter spill
      >during a casting class. No one called and told us that
      >we had done something wrong. We learned of this
      >through the grape vine.
      >
      >The cause of our persona non grata status? A series of
      >empty alcohol containers discovered in the trash cans
      >after the event.
      >
      >If you have ever tried finding an event site, you know
      >that it is the hardest part of running an event. When
      >we do find them, we want to keep them.
      >
      >IF THE EVENT FLYER SAYS THAT THE SITE IS DRY - BELIEVE
      >IT!!!

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Dayle Harding
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2007
        What does the event flyer say?  I know that they have a bar there, so it's not totally dry.  And, it a hotel, so we can certainly drink in our rooms.  I think the issue is for those places like schools, where it is forbidden by law.

        As I think of it, we were sipping drinks in the lobby area  last year, in full site of the main desk, and nothing was said.

        Acelina

        >Got this FYI from Greyhope site. Speaks volumes. Please forward
        >this onto anyone who you might need to know. Especially for this
        >weekend.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Eleanor
        >
        >Something to think about!!!
        >Posted by: "Mandy Meroux" mandymeroux@ yahoo.com mandymeroux
        >Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:07 pm (PST)
        >This was forwarded to the Pel-net. I'm forwarding it here -
        >
        >*********** * ******
        >
        >I'm forwarding this from several different sources.
        >I'm quoting Baron Gregoire's post on the Legio site
        >verbatim:
        >
        >"As many of you probably remember, Cynnabar hosted
        >Kingdom 12th Night in Saline January 2005.
        >
        >As of this morning, we have learned and confirmed that
        >the SCA is no longer welcome in the Saline School
        >District. This is unfortunate as they have a number of
        >buildings at reasonable rates for large events.
        >
        >We were shocked about this turn of events - we had
        >worked hard to leave the school cleaner than we found
        >it, obeyed all rules set for us, and even had offered
        >to pay for the damages of an unfortunate pewter spill
        >during a casting class. No one called and told us that
        >we had done something wrong. We learned of this
        >through the grape vine.
        >
        >The cause of our persona non grata status? A series of
        >empty alcohol containers discovered in the trash cans
        >after the event.
        >
        >If you have ever tried finding an event site, you know
        >that it is the hardest part of running an event. When
        >we do find them, we want to keep them.
        >
        >IF THE EVENT FLYER SAYS THAT THE SITE IS DRY - BELIEVE
        >IT!!!

        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail. yahoo.com

        always stay connected to friends.
      • Drew
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 17, 2007
          I'd expect that the Mall part of the site is dry, being as that's, well, a
          mall.

          I can't remember if they serve beer at that hot-dog stand in-between the
          mall and the hotel proper.

          --
          Oh, what a goofy work is man. (The Tick!)

        • Folo Watkins
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 17, 2007
            >I'd expect that the Mall part of the site is dry, being as that's, well, a
            >mall.

            Quite right. We ain't New Orleans (dammit).

            And the hotel is dry insofar as they want you to buy your booze there if
            it's consumed in public. I suppose if you have a fancy type of drink, you
            can ask if you can uncork it, but I rather imagine that the response might
            be different if you asked if you could unbottle-cap that bottle of Ripple
            you just got at the grocery store).

            >I can't remember if they serve beer at that hot-dog stand in-between the
            >mall and the hotel proper.

            Nope. But a coffee shop has moved in for those people who prefer a
            different type of liquid drug!

            Cheers, Folo
          • Drew
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 17, 2007

              > And the hotel is dry insofar as they want you to buy your
              > booze there if it's consumed in public. I suppose if you have
              > a fancy type of drink, you can ask if you can uncork it, but
              > I rather imagine that the response might be different if you
              > asked if you could unbottle-cap that bottle of Ripple you
              > just got at the grocery store).

              Hey! I only buy the finest of Ripple! No screw tops!

              Well, maybe a little. :P
            • Johannes Machiavelli
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 17, 2007
                The original post was from Friday jan 12.  I believe ladyscribe07 - Eleanor was directing toward 12th night in TGS being in a school as well as the event where the containers were found.

                Johannes

                I'd expect that the Mall part of the site is dry, being as that's, well, a
                mall.

                I can't remember if they serve beer at that hot-dog stand in-between the
                mall and the hotel proper.

                --
                Oh, what a goofy work is man. (The Tick!)

                Bored stiff? Loosen up...
              • Dolores Becker
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 17, 2007
                  Or as a caution to everyone, for every event - know the rules of your site and follow them, take the mundane restrictions and regulations seriously if you want to keep your site.  Was about to follow up with something snide about no-brainers, but must remember to behave like a lady now } ; )

                  Moose

                  Bored stiff? Loosen up...

                  always stay connected to friends.