Northside Beginning Armored Combat Instructions

  • Verena Entenwirt
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011
      Have you ever wanted to try armored combat, but maybe was a bit
      intimidated by the Heavy armor and thick swords? Are you interested in
      possibly joining the 40 Ayreton fighters on the field at Pennsic? Are
      you interested in participating in either siege weapons or combat
      archery?

      A new armored fighting class will be starting next Tuesday (January
      24) at the Northside Thieves Practice. This will be a slow class
      concentrating on form, stance, and movement. Armor will not be
      required for at least a month.

      If you are interested or have questions, feel free to contact me off
      list at verena@...

      --
      Lady Verena Entenwirth
      www.broomstich.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011
        Greetings,

        A little clarification is I may....this class is for those who have not been able to make the Sunday practice's where Wolfram has been teaching a similiar class.

        The idea is to get people authorized with a good basic grounding in technigue. We will, if enough people are interested, then continue on with combat archery (CA) and /or siege.

        Henry
        Baron Ayreton

        --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Verena Entenwirt <verena@...> wrote:

        > Have you ever wanted to try armored combat, but maybe was a bit
        > intimidated by the Heavy armor and thick swords? Are you interested in
        > possibly joining the 40 Ayreton fighters on the field at Pennsic? Are
        > you interested in participating in either siege weapons or combat
        > archery?
        >
        > A new armored fighting class will be starting next Tuesday (January
        > 24) at the Northside Thieves Practice. This will be a slow class
        > concentrating on form, stance, and movement. Armor will not be
        > required for at least a month.
        >
        > If you are interested or have questions, feel free to contact me off
        > list at verena@...
        >

        > --
        > Lady Verena Entenwirth
        > www.broomstich.com

      • The Stoutmaker
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011
          Fantastic! Aryeton now has TWO options for folks who want to start learning to get geared up for armored combat. This should really help fill the niche for people who live way up North and Northwest and/or can't or don't want to drive all the way into the city, Plus it's just one more way to get us closer to getting 40 fighters on the field at Pennsic. Horray!

          Plus good on you for wanting to get your sword and board auth. Welcome to the game that is heavy fighting! I'm looking forward to hearing all the cool new fighting stories from all the newcomers that both practices will be bringing to the field! :)

          Lukas

          .
          --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Verena Entenwirt <verena@...> wrote:

          > Have you ever wanted to try armored combat, but maybe was a bit
          > intimidated by the Heavy armor and thick swords? Are you interested in
          > possibly joining the 40 Ayreton fighters on the field at Pennsic? Are
          > you interested in participating in either siege weapons or combat
          > archery?
          >
          > A new armored fighting class will be starting next Tuesday (January
          > 24) at the Northside Thieves Practice. This will be a slow class
          > concentrating on form, stance, and movement. Armor will not be
          > required for at least a month.
          >
          > If you are interested or have questions, feel free to contact me off
          > list at verena@...
          >

          > --
          > Lady Verena Entenwirth
          > www.broomstich.com

        • Fern
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011
            Dear Ayreton,

            I want to see Joscelyn's elevation ceremony at Festival of Maidens this weekend, but Robyyan has already made other plans.

            I hate to travel alone. Is there anyone who wants to take a rider from the north part of Chicago? or perhaps someone who wants to travel down on Saturday? The details of the return trip are not yet determined, either. (There is a regional fighting practice on Sunday, for example....,)

            Please email me off-line, and let's see what can be done.

            Thanks!

            Fern

            Thanks!
          • Seamus MacBain
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011
              On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Verena Entenwirt <verena@...> wrote:

              Have you ever wanted to try armored combat, but maybe was a bit
              intimidated by the Heavy armor and thick swords? Are you interested in
              possibly joining the 40 Ayreton fighters on the field at Pennsic? Are
              you interested in participating in either siege weapons or combat
              archery?

              A new armored fighting class will be starting next Tuesday (January
              24) at the Northside Thieves Practice. This will be a slow class
              concentrating on form, stance, and movement. Armor will not be
              required for at least a month.

              If you are interested or have questions, feel free to contact me off
              list at verena@...

              --
              Lady Verena Entenwirth
              www.broomstich.com

              I would like to offer my personal thanks to the Lady Verena for helping expand the options for beginning fighters in the Ayreton area, and would like to remind even the experienced fighters that reviewing the basics helps move past plateaus in our own training.

              As a reminder for myself and to allow others to call me on it in the coming weeks/months - the single easiest way to get better at SCA heavy fighting - helmet  time.   Get out to a practice and throw on your gear.  Sundays with Grey Gargoyles, Thieves on Tuesdays, Shire of Blackhawk does Thursdays.  For the more adventurous Wednesdays in Madison with Jaravellir (who also do a Sunday as well), Caer Anterth Mawr in Milwaukee has a Monday night practice (with Thursdays returning later this spring I believe).

              Once the weather warms up the local practices should be doubling in options for fighting.

              --
              Seamus MacBain

            • Verena Entenwirt
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 19, 2011
                Actually a small correction, I will just be the student :-) Baron Henry will be the one teaching the classes.

                I have always wanted to do combat archery, but have been intimidated about getting the board and sword authorizations. After seeing how awesome the Midlands siege crew was last year, I just knew I had to do it. Then when Baraon Henry and Baroness Nadezda anounced their desire to have 40 people fight with Ayreton, I figured this was the right time to do it :-)

                I know there have been a few people wanting to start doing armored combat as well, and asked Baron Henry that sense he has been in gracious enough to teach me,  if we could see if anyone else is interested.

                I however did not know there were that many fighter opportunities in the area. Thank you for posting! It is amazing to see that if someone wanted they could fighter 5 nights per week!  I know personally, once the weather approves, it would be great to try out some of the other local or canton practices.

                Verena