For the Vikings Amonst Us

  • AndreAllen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 2010
      The October 2010 issue of Smithsonian magazine has an interesting article ("Viking Mystery" by David Keys) on recent finds in England of two sites where executed military age males that were likely Danish mercenaries killed on the orders of the Anglo-Saxon king Athelred the Unready.

      AElfred

    • Folo Watkins
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 11, 2010
        >The October 2010 issue of Smithsonian magazine has an interesting
        >article ("Viking Mystery" by David Keys) on recent finds in England
        >of two sites where executed military age males that were likely
        >Danish mercenaries killed on the orders of the Anglo-Saxon king
        >Athelred the Unready.

        The article is also available on line at
        http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/A-Viking-Mystery.html
        though the magazine has some other neat articles as well and I
        believe the on-line article is a bit abridged.

        Cheers, Folo
        www.micelfolcland.org (which recreates the culture noted in he
        article; boo, Athelread!)