Tax Exempt Letter use question.

  • dfvalenta
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 17, 2010
      Hello all,

      Has any one had a problem using the IRS tax exempt letter because it lacks an embossed seal?

      A restaurant supply house we are trying to buy from gave this excuse for not accepting the letter.

      Guy
    • Thomas Hughes
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 17, 2010

        I sent this to the SCA treasurer to see if she had seen this before.

        Sean

        Has any one had a problem using the IRS tax exempt letter because it lacks an embossed seal?

        A restaurant supply house we are trying to buy from gave this excuse for not accepting the letter.

        Guy

      • Leopoldo
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 18, 2010
          I've worked with several NFPs and have not had this happen. What kind of embossed seal were they looking for? The one the State sends NFPS?

        • misreall@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 18, 2010

            Working at bookstores, we regularly accept photocopies of school tax exempt letters that are brought in by teachers.  I have never heard of any shop insisting on the seal.

            Anne d'Aix

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 19, 2010

              Guy,

              You should be able to use the letter after the IRS puts its seal on it.  Until then, it is not a legal document from the IRS.  The SCA applied for the exemption on July but I haven’t seen their response yet.

              Sean/Tom

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 19, 2010
                Are you saying that every shire and canton is going to get an IRS letter with an embossed seal on it?
                The SCA, as it has in the past, will get one letter. Local groups will use a copy. That copy will not have an embossed seal.

                Our issue is with one vendor who will not accept the letter unless it has the embossed seal. I'm askinf if anyone else has every run into the same situation.

                Guy

                You should be able to use the letter after the IRS puts its seal on it.  Until then, it is not a legal document from the IRS.  The SCA applied for the exemption on July but I haven’t seen their response yet.

                Sean/Tom

                Has any one had a problem using the IRS tax exempt letter because it lacks an embossed seal?

                A restaurant supply house we are trying to buy from gave this excuse for not accepting the letter.

                Guy

              • Amy Gibbons
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 19, 2010
                  I do know that a notary uses a seal that embosses for the first time that is on the letter but it does not copy well.  Amy

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 19, 2010

                    No.   Each subsidiary will be issued a copy of the exemption and determination letter which will be shared with local groups.  The exemptions are done at the corporation/subsidiary not the local branch level.

                    Sean/Tom

                    You should be able to use the letter after the IRS puts its seal on it.  Until then, it is not a legal document from the IRS.  The SCA applied for the exemption on July but I haven’t seen their response yet.

                    Sean/Tom

                    Has any one had a problem using the IRS tax exempt letter because it lacks an embossed seal?

                    A restaurant supply house we are trying to buy from gave this excuse for not accepting the letter.

                    Guy

                  • Sally Jones
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 20, 2010
                      Greetings,
                      I had the problem with the store not accepting the old letter. The store in question will except a copy of a letter that has been embossed. How soon will the new letters be available? I need to do my shopping for the Stone Dog feast by October 7th. If the letter could be put on the web as a PDF like the old letter that would work, I think.

                      Many thanks,
                      Lady Gwen

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 21, 2010
                        Gwen,
                        A pdf of the new letter will not help with this vendor.
                        He wants the copy to have the embossing.

                        Guy

                        --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Sally Jones <sca30gg@...> wrote:

                        > Greetings,
                        > I had the problem with the store not accepting the old letter. The store in
                        > question will except a copy of a letter that has been embossed. How soon will
                        > the new letters be available? I need to do my shopping for the Stone Dog feast
                        > by October 7th. If the letter could be put on the web as a PDF like the old
                        > letter that would work, I think.
                        >
                        > Many thanks,
                        > Lady Gwen
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Thomas Hughes
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 21, 2010

                          The embossed copy of the letter stays in the SCA Corporate Office since it is a legal document.  You probably ought to think about taking the business elsewhere.

                          Sean

                          A pdf of the new letter will not help with this vendor.
                          He wants the copy to have the embossing.

                          Guy

                          --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Sally Jones <sca30gg@...> wrote:

                          > Greetings,
                          > I had the problem with the store not accepting the old letter. The store
                          in
                          > question will except a copy of a letter that has been embossed. How soon
                          will
                          > the new letters be available? I need to do my shopping for the Stone Dog
                          feast
                          > by October 7th. If the letter could be put on the web as a PDF like the
                          old
                          > letter that would work, I think.
                          >
                          > Many thanks,
                          > Lady Gwen
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Sally Jones
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 21, 2010
                            Greetings Thomas,
                            I do not need the original, just a copy of the document showing the embossing stamp.

                            Lady Gwen

                            The embossed copy of the letter stays in the SCA Corporate Office since it is a legal document.  You probably ought to think about taking the business elsewhere.

                            Sean

                            A pdf of the new letter will not help with this vendor.
                            He wants the copy to have the embossing.

                            Guy

                            --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Sally Jones <sca30gg@...> wrote:

                            > Greetings,
                            > I had the problem with the store not accepting the old letter. The store
                            in
                            > question will except a copy of a letter that has been embossed. How soon
                            will
                            > the new letters be available? I need to do my shopping for the Stone Dog
                            feast
                            > by October 7th. If the letter could be put on the web as a PDF like the
                            old
                            > letter that would work, I think.
                            >
                            > Many thanks,
                            > Lady Gwen
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Thomas Hughes
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 21, 2010

                              Try renee@....   We have the document for SCA, Inc.  We have not yet received the document for SCA-Illinois, Inc. yet.

                              Sean

                              I do not need the original, just a copy of the document showing the embossing stamp.

                              Lady Gwen

                              The embossed copy of the letter stays in the SCA Corporate Office since it is a legal document.  You probably ought to think about taking the business elsewhere.

                              Sean

                              A pdf of the new letter will not help with this vendor.
                              He wants the copy to have the embossing.

                              Guy

                              --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Sally Jones <sca30gg@...> wrote:

                              > Greetings,
                              > I had the problem with the store not accepting the old letter. The store
                              in
                              > question will except a copy of a letter that has been embossed. How soon
                              will
                              > the new letters be available? I need to do my shopping for the Stone Dog
                              feast
                              > by October 7th. If the letter could be put on the web as a PDF like the
                              old
                              > letter that would work, I think.
                              >
                              > Many thanks,
                              > Lady Gwen

                            • Sarafina Sinclair
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 24, 2010
                                Hola,

                                In my experience, sometimes a business will not accept a federal tax exempt letter (as in the case of the hotel where I work). We require the entity requesting tax exempt status to produce a letter from the IL Dept of Revenue with the correct group name.

                                Hope this helps.

                                Sarafina

                                --
                                Baroness Sarafina Sinclair, OL