Re: [Ayreton] Ayreton

  • Verena Entenwirt
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 14, 2010
      Might I suggest uploading the pattern onto the Ayreton website? That way when people in the group see them at events and say "How cool are those" they can then go onto the website, print off the pattern and make their own. That way, a few individuals are not making all the covers, but everyone is able to make their own.

      The same could go once the tabbard style is decided. Having the pattern, and/or an easy black and white sketch of the device that people can print off, and either applique or paint on their tabbards is very helpful. This is what one of our old group did, and people were eager to make their own, once they knew where to go for the information.

      With that being said- I am all about the bench making! Count me in , and just let me know when people are getting together to make them.

      -Verena

      On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Jen Small <jenrsmall@...> wrote:

      I agree too!  On the subject of seating, one thing we can make that might be fun is camp chair covers with the Ayreton device on it.  Juliana and I designed a great pattern for camp chair covers that secures with a decorative tassle, I think they would look great in blue and green.  That way we can have some heraldic visuals with lightweight transport.

      --Gianetta

      --
      Lady Verena Entenwirth
      www.broomstich.com

    • D'vorah bint al-Attar
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 14, 2010
        On 14 Jun 2010, at 7:11 AM, Verena Entenwirt wrote:

        > I am all about the bench making! Count me in , and just let me know when people are getting together to make them.

        Ditto. If it's not on Saturday or a Jewish holiday, and if someone will show me how, I am more than happy to pull an assist -- and bring some wood so I can maybe make one for me, too. Hey, there's an idea. Is there a local woodworking day/evening as part of the Ayreton working? I'd love to do that as an adjunct or substitute for fighting practice on Sundays, if someone has tools and knowledge to share. I'm absolutely not a fighter, myself, but is there a chance we could find a spot for woodworking, before or after or during that?
        D'vorah bint al-Attar
        Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
        dvorah@...
        Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
      • Bernal Schooley
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 14, 2010
          The ideas for seating are good, but at this point let's not fixate on one thing yet.

          I'd like us to figure out what the vision is, then make a list of items that will be needed to fulfill that vision and then have people work on those items.

          We need to decide what kind of shade we want and how big we want it to be. We can't decide those until we decide whether our vision is a single large communal shade or is it a small shade set along side other individual and shire shades. Other things on the list might be banners, tables, chests, rugs, water coolers with covers (or water kegs), etc.

          Also, before we start acquiring stuff we need to find a quartermaster and decide how that office will operate. We will need to decide if we want to buy a baronial trailer to transport and store stuff and/or a storage locker.

          Once these are in place, then we can have individuals and small groups of interested folks work on stuff like benches and chair covers.

          I'd also like to challenge everyone, including myself, to move beyond non-period SCA designs to researched historical plans and items. It would be cool if nearly every item we use was historically researched and came to the quartermaster with a one page description. These pages could be compiled into a book and used as educational materials at demos to showcase the talent in our area. I'm sure we could lean on the laurels in the area to help in this endeavor.

          --Richard

          On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Robyyan Torr d'Elandris <rtesca-ayreton@...> wrote:

          I think Richard's got something here...  We want to be careful not to get _too_ far out in front of whoever the royalty select as B&B, but there are a lot of things we can do that shouldn't cause any problems.

          I'd like to suggest that a baronial presence needs to include seating.  For simple seating that's suitable for pretty much any period, uses space efficiently, and is comparatively easy to pack, what do you think about making some benches?  They can be made to come apart and pack flat, and could be decorated to show they belong to Ayreton.

          http://robyyan.googlepages.com