Re: [Ayreton] Ayreton

  • Bernal Schooley
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 13, 2010
      D'vorah,

      That's a great start. The thing I like most about it is it's action. Whether they use the items themselves or have them as loaner items for visiting guests, I'm sure they will be immensely useful at some point.

      Thanks,
      --Richard

      On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 8:53 PM, D'vorah bint al-Attar <dvorah@...> wrote:

      On 13 Jun 2010, at 8:46 PM, Bernal Schooley wrote:
      I'm still pretty new to this and not certain what constitutes "presence," in light of the fact that it can exist without the physical presence of the parties involved (baronial/royal/principal presences, and so on). I do think that our eventual Baronial pair need not only their own items, but also items that just scream AYRETON, and so I've got a set of feastware in the works for each of the two. They're not fancy like proper regalia, as I'm not good with the fance, but they're our vert-and-azure down the middle: one goblet, one bowl, one plate, and there may be other items as time goes on. I'm giving it as largesse, though they can of course feel free to pass it on to others (since it's not the Baronial device, but merely "inspired by" it) if it's not what they'd like to use themselves. Would that help?
      D'vorah bint al-Attar
      Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
      dvorah@...
      Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
    • D'vorah bint al-Attar
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 13, 2010
        On 13 Jun 2010, at 9:05 PM, Bernal Schooley wrote:

        > D'vorah,
        >
        > That's a great start. The thing I like most about it is it's action. Whether they use the items themselves or have them as loaner items for visiting guests, I'm sure they will be immensely useful at some point.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > --Richard

        That's what I felt, too. Use, loan, or give, at least someone will benefit from it, and whenever anyone uses it, they'll be reminded of Ayreton.
        D'vorah bint al-Attar
        Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
        dvorah@...
        Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
      • Dougal MacAlister
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 13, 2010
          Richard,

          I disagree with this point completely.
          " I tried weakly to make that happen at Border Skirmish, but had limited success with the small shade fly we had"
          I thought it was an awesome go.  The single shade just turned out to be too small for the Ayreton turn-out, and I felt we had a large turnout.
          I thought that our unit Camaraderie was displayed as we removed Jeff from the field and brought him "home"

          And Jeff, it was good to see you self ambulatory at the end of the day.  How's things now?

          On some of your other points, I've some plans for making some baronial "regalia" archery tackle.  It's scheduled for budgeting this summer but after Pennsic.

          THL Dougal MacAlister, C.G.C.
          Lt.General - Target Archery, Middle Kingdom

        • Robyyan Torr d'Elandris
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 13, 2010
            I think Richard's got something here...  We want to be careful not to get _too_ far out in front of whoever the royalty select as B&B, but there are a lot of things we can do that shouldn't cause any problems.

            I'd like to suggest that a baronial presence needs to include seating.  For simple seating that's suitable for pretty much any period, uses space efficiently, and is comparatively easy to pack, what do you think about making some benches?  They can be made to come apart and pack flat, and could be decorated to show they belong to Ayreton.

            http://robyyan.googlepages.com

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 13, 2010
              I agree too!  On the subject of seating, one thing we can make that might be fun is camp chair covers with the Ayreton device on it.  Juliana and I designed a great pattern for camp chair covers that secures with a decorative tassle, I think they would look great in blue and green.  That way we can have some heraldic visuals with lightweight transport.

              --Gianetta

            • jeffnaggie@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 13, 2010
                Love the idea of benches!!! Good way to encourage people to gather both formally and informally.

                I also think the arm bands Susan made for the militia helped add to our espirit de corps, and will continue to do so.

                I know there's been a lot of talk about tabards, and since we are wearing midlands tabbards at war, I'd like to make sure all the milita tabards match in how and where we display Ayreton's device. Did we come to a consensus?

                And, a personal thank you to all who helped carry Jeff off the field, and helped get him and his armor back under the shade... And to all who stopped to check in throughout the day.
                Both Jeff and his knees will be well-recovered soon. :)

                Hillary

                From: Robyyan Torr d'Elandris <rtesca-ayreton@...>
                Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 19:36:35 -0700 (PDT)
                To: <Ayreton@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 14, 2010
                  Might I suggest uploading the pattern onto the Ayreton website? That way when people in the group see them at events and say "How cool are those" they can then go onto the website, print off the pattern and make their own. That way, a few individuals are not making all the covers, but everyone is able to make their own.

                  The same could go once the tabbard style is decided. Having the pattern, and/or an easy black and white sketch of the device that people can print off, and either applique or paint on their tabbards is very helpful. This is what one of our old group did, and people were eager to make their own, once they knew where to go for the information.

                  With that being said- I am all about the bench making! Count me in , and just let me know when people are getting together to make them.

                  -Verena

                  --
                  Lady Verena Entenwirth
                  www.broomstich.com

                • D'vorah bint al-Attar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 14, 2010
                    On 14 Jun 2010, at 7:11 AM, Verena Entenwirt wrote:

                    > I am all about the bench making! Count me in , and just let me know when people are getting together to make them.

                    Ditto. If it's not on Saturday or a Jewish holiday, and if someone will show me how, I am more than happy to pull an assist -- and bring some wood so I can maybe make one for me, too. Hey, there's an idea. Is there a local woodworking day/evening as part of the Ayreton working? I'd love to do that as an adjunct or substitute for fighting practice on Sundays, if someone has tools and knowledge to share. I'm absolutely not a fighter, myself, but is there a chance we could find a spot for woodworking, before or after or during that?
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 14, 2010
                      The ideas for seating are good, but at this point let's not fixate on one thing yet.

                      I'd like us to figure out what the vision is, then make a list of items that will be needed to fulfill that vision and then have people work on those items.

                      We need to decide what kind of shade we want and how big we want it to be. We can't decide those until we decide whether our vision is a single large communal shade or is it a small shade set along side other individual and shire shades. Other things on the list might be banners, tables, chests, rugs, water coolers with covers (or water kegs), etc.

                      Also, before we start acquiring stuff we need to find a quartermaster and decide how that office will operate. We will need to decide if we want to buy a baronial trailer to transport and store stuff and/or a storage locker.

                      Once these are in place, then we can have individuals and small groups of interested folks work on stuff like benches and chair covers.

                      I'd also like to challenge everyone, including myself, to move beyond non-period SCA designs to researched historical plans and items. It would be cool if nearly every item we use was historically researched and came to the quartermaster with a one page description. These pages could be compiled into a book and used as educational materials at demos to showcase the talent in our area. I'm sure we could lean on the laurels in the area to help in this endeavor.

                      --Richard